Replacing Mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnnie

We currently have a queen mattress that is just horrible, I am considering installing a residential queen mattress. Has anyone done this? Also any problems getting it in the coach? I have a class A Diesel pusher. Thanks for the help.

Johnnie,

We will be replacing our queen mattress this year and will do so with a inflatable one.  Not sure if it will be the "Select Comfot" one or not as it will depend a a few other considerations that are not standard in them.  We had one in our last MH and have been sorry we did not take it with us but....

Jim,

I am also thinking of replacing our mattress with an inflatable. Is there another one that compares with Select Comfort?

Jim,

There is a mattress factory in Bozeman that makes them and I was very impressed with theirs.  I know that several on the forum have inflatables some SC and some SOBs.  Maybe they will add something to the discussion.

When we get back to So. CA after the QZ rally, I'll be checking here for alternatives.  There is also the FMCA rally in Pomona and I want to check for ones there too.

Jim,

Thanks. I'm not rushing out to buy one but my back has been bothering me and mostly in the morning. First thing the doc asked was "are you sleeping on the proper mattress?". I did have a back xray done last week for another problem and should have the results tomorrow. I'm guessing it's arthur's itis. :)

Jim

Jim,

My neighbor Robert found Sleep Number mattresses without the foundation on a special clearance on their web site. That was a couple of years ago, but it might be worth checking out.

I bought a knock-off from a Canadian company while we were on our maiden voyage and my back was really bad. In that case, it came complete with the foundation, which I gave away. The knock-off sleeps the same as the Sleep Number we have at home, but the knock-off pump is much noisier than the Sleep Number pump.

Anyone replaced their mattress with a memory foam type? What is the minimum thickness required for comfort on a carpeted plywood platform, which is what I have in my rig.

Howdy.

We installed a Select Comfort air bed(no foundation) in our Wanderlodge. Works great. No trouble getting it into the coach as it came in a couple of boxes.  :D  :D

Regards,
Liz

Jim Dick said:
Jim,

Thanks. I'm not rushing out to buy one but my back has been bothering me and mostly in the morning. First thing the doc asked was "are you sleeping on the proper mattress?". I did have a back xray done last week for another problem and should have the results tomorrow. I'm guessing it's arthur's itis. :)

Jim

HEY!  Don't blame me!!!  :p

Frank Arthur

Jim Dick said:
Frank,

I always thought that Arthur was a first name. ;D ;D ;D

That's the story of my life.  Given three first names at birth, any combination of which would show up in the school/military/employer/reservation/________ (fill in the blank) paperwork...

KodiakRV said:
That's the story of my life.  Given three first names at birth, any combination of which would show up in the school/military/employer/reservation/________ (fill in the blank) paperwork...

Frank,

Same problem here!!! ;D

Guess I'll jump in here - I presume since some of you are saying you've replaced your mattress that means you were able to get the old one out ?!  It just seems like it wouldn't fit out the front door.  Did the old one fit or did you chop it up ?  I've found them to be so dang uncorfable I can't imagine sleeping on one all the time.
I was thinking of adding the memory foam to the top, that's what I use now in my stick home. 

The secret to moving thick, heavy foam mattresses is to fold them in half and tie them with string or rope. Then they'll come out of the RV vertically. At the same time, put loops in the string/rope to use as handles. My wife and I have moved numerous mattresses in and out of tight quarters, up and down narrow stairs on boats. The motorhome was easy in comparison.

Johnnie said:
We currently have a queen mattress that is just horrible, I am considering installing a residential queen mattress. Has anyone done this? Also any problems getting it in the coach? I have a class A Diesel pusher. Thanks for the help.

We replaced our mattress with a residential queen pillow top and we love it.  We just turned it on its side and walked the old one out and walked the new one in.  It was slightly longer but with the two slides all the way in it still fit perfect.  I sometimes wake up in the morning when still dark and forget where I am and promply rember Im on the road when I bump into the door ;D

Go for what makes you comfortable, you can get it in.

I had the same problem in my previous motorhome. It had a very uncomfortable rv queensize. I took some measurments and relaced it with a memory foam mattress, which was about 6 inches longer. I extended the plywood platform to accomidate it. It was 6 inches thick with 2 inches of memory foam. I ordered it online from WalMart and it came in a small box. Easy to get in motorhome. When I unpacked it, it reminded me on an inflatable life raft opening up. It was very comfortable.

All memory foam is NOT created equal.  We were given one as a gift and it was like sleeping on a rock, luckily I jammed it back in the box as much as I could and the store took it back.  ::)  Our queen bed (more like full size) is a futon mattress, very heavy both in thickness and weight, topped with a cheap foam "egg crate" mattress pad that you can buy at any Wal-mart.  The fitted sheet goes on over the whole thing, so the topper doesn't slide around.  Very comfortable.

We put a memory foam topper on our travel trailer mattress,no more bad back in the mornings but it makes me sweat because it generates a lot of heat,too much here in Florida but it will be perfect back in the UK
Ian

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom