Roadside Attractions' That are worth a visit or detour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billy Bob

Stonehengen11 and Easter Island Heads Ingram Texas. Located at Hill Country Arts Foundation, from I 10 exit south to Kerrville turn right at TX 27/Main Street to Ingram about 5 miles. At the second red light in Ingram go straight to TX 39 toward Hunt just across the bridge you will see the sign for Hill Country Arts Foundation on the left. If I remember right its 1/3 the size of Stonehenge in England. If the Arts Foundation is open you may enjoy it too.I like to stop at some of these attractions' some are just fun places to stop & take a picture an take a short break, some have a little bit of history, others might be something huge or odd. Most you will miss unless some one has told you about it. So if you know of any you have found in your travels please post them here along with a photo or two.  Thanks Hope this is the right place to post this

Attachments

• 5-29-14 Stonhenge 2 Ingram, TX.JPG
    5-29-14 Stonhenge 2 Ingram, TX.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 5-29-14 Stone henge 2 & Easter Island Head Inggram, TX.JPG
    5-29-14 Stone henge 2 & Easter Island Head Inggram, TX.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 70
There's also a Stonehenge replica in Washington on the Columbia River. Worth a brief stop if you're passing that way.

The Enchanted Highway East of Medora, ND on I-94 is a unique collection of large sculptures. The Bluff Fort Historical Site has a great collection of restored buildings and authentic furniture and other artifacts. Canyon Road in Sante Fe has so many outdoor sculptures that you don't even have to go into the galleries. The Dinosaur Museum at Mesa Lands Community College and the Murals on buildings in Tucumcari, NM are worth seeing, in my opinion. We really enjoyed the Windmill Museum in Lubbock, TX. Too many more to mention them all. The above links have numerous pictures.

We have found a lot of interesting places just about everywhere we go using the Roadside America website and others like:
National Parks,
National Wildlife Rufuges,
State Parks,
Scenic Byways,
National Historic Trails,
Legends of America,
Ghost Towns,
Slot Canyons,
Pow Wows,
Flea Markets,
Rock Art,
Native American Ruins,
Factory Tours,
Waterfalls,
Scenic Railroads,
State Fairs,
Lighthouses,
Breweries in the United States
Wineries in the United States,
Trip Advisor
State Tourism Websites
Frommers Guide
Fairs and Festivals

If you are ever out in Borrego Springs, CA go see the Galleta Meadows Estate statues. There are over 100 of them. Well worth the time. We have been there several times.

http://www.backroadswest.com/anza/2011/11/galleta-meadows/

Attachments

• P1280342.JPG
    P1280342.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 54
  • P1280346.JPG
    P1280346.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 47
  • P1280357.JPG
    P1280357.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 51
The Empty Cross at The coming of The King.  This is a work in Progress. I don't remember the name of the Christian origination that is building this. It is at the top of the hill at the NW side of the intersection of TX 16 & I 10 at Kerrville, TX. Turn north on TX 16 then quickly turn left onto Benson Dr, drive pass the car dealership and turn right drive up the hill to the parking lot. There is a lot more here than the few pictures that I posted and they are adding.

Attachments

• 1)  5-31-14 The Coming of The King @ entrance to The Empty Cross.JPG
    1) 5-31-14 The Coming of The King @ entrance to The Empty Cross.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 3)  5-31-14 Kerrville @ intersection oy Hy 16 ^ I 10 on hilltop03.JPG
    3) 5-31-14 Kerrville @ intersection oy Hy 16 ^ I 10 on hilltop03.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 27
  • 4)  5-31-14 Kerrville @ intersection oy Hy 16 ^ I 10 Christ & TheCross.JPG
    4) 5-31-14 Kerrville @ intersection oy Hy 16 ^ I 10 Christ & TheCross.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 6)  5-31-14 Kerrville Jesus Washing Peters feet @ intersection oy Hy 16 ^ I 10 on hilltop04.JPG
    6) 5-31-14 Kerrville Jesus Washing Peters feet @ intersection oy Hy 16 ^ I 10 on hilltop04.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 92)  5-31-14 Kerrville @ intersection oy Hy 16 ^ I 10 on hilltop07.JPG
    92) 5-31-14 Kerrville @ intersection oy Hy 16 ^ I 10 on hilltop07.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 93)  5-31-14 Kerrville @ intersection oy Hy 16 ^ I 10 on hilltop08.JPG
    93) 5-31-14 Kerrville @ intersection oy Hy 16 ^ I 10 on hilltop08.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 16
Billy Bob said:
Stonehengen11 and Easter Island Heads Ingram Texas. Located at Hill Country Arts Foundation, from I 10 exit south to Kerrville turn right at TX 27/Main Street to Ingram about 5 miles. At the second red light in Ingram go straight to TX 39 toward Hunt just across the bridge you will see the sign for Hill Country Arts Foundation on the left. If I remember right its 1/3 the size of Stonehenge in England. If the Arts Foundation is open you may enjoy it too.I like to stop at some of these attractions' some are just fun places to stop & take a picture an take a short break, some have a little bit of history, others might be something huge or odd. Most you will miss unless some one has told you about it. So if you know of any you have found in your travels please post them here along with a photo or two.  Thanks Hope this is the right place to post this

I think there was a story on these on the TV program Texas Country Reporter a year or so ago.  As best I can recall, they were all moved to this location from another place when the person who commissioned their construction passed on or gave them away.  Anybody recall that program?

Sue has "1000 Places To See Before You Die" that we use as a guide while traveling, even through areas we have already covered. I would guess we are in the 700 500-600 check mark stage.

Bill N said:
I think there was a story on these on the TV program Texas Country Reporter a year or so ago.  As best I can recall, they were all moved to this location from another place when the person who commissioned their construction passed on or gave them away.  Anybody recall that program?

You are right Stonehenge 11 Was Moved from Hunt 8 miles east to Ingram in 2010. The land in Hunt was sold and the new owners wanted to knock it down. The Hill Country Arts Foundation bought it and moved it to the present location in Ingram

Here is an interesting muffler man turned into a American Indian, now sits at a car dealership at 4800 NW Loop 410 San Antonio, TX. Good for a photo

Attachments

• 94)  5-28-14 Muffler Man turned Indian N. Loop S. Antonio.JPG
    94) 5-28-14 Muffler Man turned Indian N. Loop S. Antonio.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 47
This is in San Antonio The Worlds Largest Cowboy Boots. The boots were build by Bob Wade in Washington DC, the boots are 40ft feet tall & 30ft long. A year later the boots were moved to The North Star Mall in San Antonio. What better place for the worlds largest cowboy boots than in Texas.
One day the Mall called Mr. Wade and said that your boots are on fire. They were not, it turned out that a home less man was living in one of the boots. He was cooking his dinner with Sterno and using the shaft as a chimney. I don't know how long he had been in there, but they probably should have left him," said Bob it would've been a great attraction.

Attachments

• 95)  5-28-14 Worlds Largest Boots San Antonio.JPG
    95) 5-28-14 Worlds Largest Boots San Antonio.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 30
Barb said:
I'll add http://www.scenicusa.net/index.html to the mix.Lots of info.

Thanks Barb and all the others that have contrived to this forum. This was what I hoped would happen, the posting of web sites on interesting places to visit and posting of individual places that people have found in their travels and photos when possible.

I have not been to this site, but it is on my bucket list the next time I am in the Texas Panhandle it is a huge white Cross and much more look this site over it seems interesting.                                                                                             

http://www.crossministries.net/

The Chandelier Tree is a 315ft tall redwood tree in Leggett, California with a 6ft by 6ft 9in high hole cut through its base to allow a car to drive thru, its base measures 21ft in diameter. The name Chandelier comes from its unique limps that resemble a chandelier. The tree is believed to have been carved in the early 1930s by Charlie Underwood. Its located on US 101 just out of Leggett.
Worth a stop there is a Visitor Center and some hiking trails.

Attachments

• (37) 7-15-07 Drive Thur Tree Park Leggett, Ca.jpg
    (37) 7-15-07 Drive Thur Tree Park Leggett, Ca.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 23
  • (45) Chanselier Tree Park.jpg
    (45) Chanselier Tree Park.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 20
  • (46) 7-15-07 Shady side of Chandelier Tree.jpg
    (46) 7-15-07 Shady side of Chandelier Tree.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 19
  • (48) 7-15-07 Drive Thru Tree Park Leggett, CA.jpg
    (48) 7-15-07 Drive Thru Tree Park Leggett, CA.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 20
Trees of Mystery on US 101 in northern California on private land surrounded by the Redwood Parks. The trail of Tall Trees features 50 chain saw sculptures illustrating the stories about Paul Bunyan. Its about 35 miles south of the Oregon border, you can not miss this place just look for the 49ft statue of Paul Bunyan and the 35ft statue of Babe The Blue Ox on the north side of 101
Nice place to stop for a few hours & take some pictures. Looks like I posted two pictures of Paul sorry

Attachments

• (62) 7-17-07 Paul Bunyan at Klamath, Calif.jpg
    (62) 7-17-07 Paul Bunyan at Klamath, Calif.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 9
  • (62) 7-17-07 Paul Bunyan at Klamath, Calif.jpg
    (62) 7-17-07 Paul Bunyan at Klamath, Calif.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 8
  • (62) 7-17-07 Paul's Blue Oax Klamath.jpg
    (62) 7-17-07 Paul's Blue Oax Klamath.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Forum statistics