Robbed at KOA in Forsythe, Georgia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jiggs: I didn't know about the "inside" motion detector. Don't know why - it makes sense. Again, I like it. Might be problematic, in my case, as the dogs are loose, inside. They might set it off. For someone without animals, might be a good idea.

Ray D  ;D

Motion detectors outside are ok for operating lights. but motion detectors INSIDE are designed to alarm (Wake folks up)

And as I said... The one thing a burgler fears most is not police, but a owner with a shotgun.  So when the alarm goes off, Loudly state "Call the cops, I'll get the shotgun"  Trust me, no self respecting burgler wants to find out that you really do have a shotgun and know how to use it.

Of course my idea of the perfect burglar alarm does not use bells, lights, sirens, buzzers or the like,,, It uses a digital recording, about 30 seconds of digital zeros (pure silence) followed by the sound of a shotgun being "racked" (readied for action)

As for letting the neighbors know about the burglar... Don't worry, he's going to do that on his way out

John In Detroit said:
....It uses a digital recording, about 30 seconds of digital zeros (pure silence) followed by the sound of a shotgun being "racked" (readied for action)

John, that reminds me of the story of cost savings taken by the CEO of American Airlines; He replaced night security guards with barking dogs and, in the next round of savings, replaced the dogs with recordings.

Bernie,

I may be getting senile, but I'm pretty sure he headed up the company that took over AA or their parent company. That was some years ago, so I may not be recalling it correctly.

Tom said:
Bernie,

I may be getting senile, but I'm pretty sure he headed up the company that took over AA or their parent company. That was some years ago, so I may not be recalling it correctly.

Tom

My senility is better than your senility ;D ;D  After driving TWA into bankruptcy, TWA's routes were sold to AMR, American Airlines parent. I am not familiar with Ichan's involvement after that.

Tom:

As those of us in aviation recall all too well, Icahn was at TWA. By the time he left there was nothing left except debt! He and Frank Lorenzo at Continental became two of the more villified names in aviation financial history.

Okay, I know I'm getting into this discussion way too late, but I did want to comment on my use of alarms.  I own a black lab who will bark like a deranged lunatic at anyone outside.  If, however, they get inside, he just about tries to unscrew his butt with all the wagging. 

My wife and I installed a bunch of little sonic alarms on all windows and doors that were of people size.  They come in two pieces and mount with double stick tape.  A switch on the side turns them on and off.  We did not, however, install them to alert us of intruders.  We installed them in case our 5 year old decided to get up and go exploring without us.

I couldn't find a link for the ones we use, but Target has some that are similar here.

-Dave

Dave, I have that same labradork in a chocolate version. I figure anyone opening the door doesn't know that Sam is really a big goof and they'll run like the devil is after them.

Wendy
Pahrump, Nevada

Thanks for the link Dave. How long do the batteries last before they need changing?

We've been using them for about a year, and except for one that fell off and stayed on for a few weeks while the camper was parked, we haven't had to replace any yet.  I believe that the only time they draw off the battery is when they're sounding an alarm.

-Dave

wendycoke said:
I figure anyone opening the door doesn't know that Sam is really a big goof and they'll run like the devil is after them.

But, if they hesitate, Sam will lick them to death  ;D

At $12.50 for 8, it's probably cheaper to just buy some new ones rather than replace the batteries.

-Dave

Agreed Dave. I was just concerned that the batteries might run down before they were needed to activate/sound the alarm.

Just a couple comments. I looked at the link to the Target offering, and they are almost $15 each; not for the eight as pictured. Still, not a bad price. Also, any active device like a sonic alarm will use some power all the time or in bursts. Batteries a pretty cheap, so my question would be "Does it give a 'low battery' alarm like smoke detectors do, or do they just quit working?"

I haven't taken one apart, but I'm pretty sure the way the ones I have work is that a magnet in the non-battery side holds open a normally closed switch in the battery side disconnecting the battery.  Of course you have the normal deterioration of the battery which would occur if it was sitting on a shelf.  The ones from Target also have a chime setting which probably pulls current as long as the door's open.  As for a low-battery warning, there isn't one.  As I said before, I was just using it to make sure my son didn't wander off.  (Curiosity gets him into a heck of alot of trouble.)  I just checked the alarms before going to bed each night.  Oh, and I do think that's $15 for 8, at least that's how the packet we got came.  Maybe I'm referencing the wrong item at Target.

-Dave

P.S. My wife travels a great deal on business and she uses something similar on her hotel room door.

Dave,

DUH! Guess I should have read a little more carefully. When I saw 'Sonic Alarm', I immediately (and wrongly) thought 'Ultrasonic' alarm. You're right - they would not use any power until triggered; subject only to battery shelf life. I still do wonder about the price  - is that for eight, or one? Probably worth a phone call.
Sorry about the mixup ::) 

Back
Top Bottom