Ron Ruward in hospital 6-3-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to mention in my earlier post about Ron starting to walk - Sam says she knows all those good prayers and thoughts coming their way are helping so please do keep thinking about them both.

ArdraF

Glad to hear Ron is doing better.  It is a comment on his determination and the therapist he now has that there is this kind of improvement so long after the event. 

Our best to both of them

Sam/Donna and I spoke today.  She's very encouraged by Ron's progress even though it's SLOW.  As you know from my last update, he was starting to walk with difficulty.  He has now "graduated" from pulling himself along the wall railing to using what they call a Hemi Walker.  It's similar to a regular walker but without wheels and because of good stability it's useful for those who have had strokes and have strength and/or mobility issues on one side.  Since my last update Ron has gained more strength on his left side and, as a result, his left foot isn't dragging quite as much and his left hand is handling the walker better.  Apparently they get Ron out of his chair and stabilized with the walker.  He walks out the door of his room and goes toward the lobby.  One person holds onto his waist strap and another follows with his wheelchair.  It's really tiring and he has to rest a couple of times, but he can now make it almost to the lobby.  I was really worried about that dragging left foot so his being able to take small steps with it is very encouraging.  Also, he walks down the middle of the corridor.  Sam says people tell him "way to go Ron" so he's getting lots of encouragement.  Their goal at this point is to get him so he can walk to the bathroom and take care of himself there.  That would be a huge step toward more home visits - which, of course, have stopped for the winter.

Ron had been losing weight because he didn't like the food and that was a major concern, but once he starting burning more calories with exercise he started gaining again.  Now he needs to lose about ten pounds and stabilize at a more desirable weight.  Sam said they're required to feed patients three meals a day and most of them don't need that much food so she's working with him to not eat everything on his plate if he isn't hungry.  As she said, he can always get something from the morning and afternooon snack trays if he's hungry.

About a month ago Ron caught a "bug" and was really sick.  It's been going around the hospital, apparently now on it's second round.  The nursing home was quarantined with people staying in their rooms and no visitors.  Now the hospital and the entire facility has been quarantined as they try to put a stop to the unwelcome bug.  This means Ron is really bored.  He and Sam talk a lot on the phone, but he's used to having her there most of the time.  If he's in the wheelchair they find him out roaming the halls and have to take him back to his room.  Their New Year's Eve party had to be postponed and they'll have it later when everyone is healthy again.  At least Ron hasn't caught the bug this time around.

So, life continues in cold and snowy Montana.  Sam said Happy New Year to everyone.

ArdraF

Ardra, thanks for the encouraging report on Ron.  It's a nice start for the New Year.

Thanks Ardra for keeping us up to date on Ron . Good to hear of his progress. Slow and steady wins the race.

Helaine

Bless her heart, she's really a trooper.  We're so very glad to hear Ron seems to be making some progress.  Bad things just shouldn't happen to such good people.

Margi

Ardra,

Thanks for the report on the Ruwards.  We have them in our prayers as well as on the prayer boad at church.  Very glad to hear of Ron's progress.

Ron needs to walk out of there.

Truer words were never spoken.  And I think he finally came to the same conclusion.  Sam said he would be in physical therapy all day every day if Medicare would pay for it and if the staff didn't have other people they need to help.  It will still be a long time before he can think about living at home, but at least it's a step in the right direction.  The more he improves, the more home visits he can make when the weather's decent.

I try to keep Sam informed about who's doing what on the forum.  She enjoys hearing the news and it helps provide things to talk about with Ron.

ArdraF

Ron,

No, the coach is still sitting there - currently snowbound.  A couple of local people saw the sign on it and stopped to enquire, but no one else.  If anyone wants a really good 1999 American Eagle, this one has been exceptionally well cared for (see the For Sale board).  Sam needs to sell it, but it may end up going back to the bank if no one buys it.  At this point she's more worried about it sitting there.  Everything's good now, but as time passes....

ArdraF

Glad to hear Ron is doing better. Moving forward, even slowly, is better than going back. I'm sure he looks for the day when he can go home. Prayers for a great 2011 continue.

Wendy
rainy Riverside

ArdraF said:
Ron,
No, the coach is still sitting there - currently snowbound. ...
ArdraF
Glad to hear that he is making such good progress but sorry that the coach doesn't seem to be moving.

I guess that they have advertised it around the place?

I talked to a friend that is looking or WAS looking for a coach till his investments tanked, like the rest of ours. He couldn't do it not now.

Ardra,
Thank you for the update on Ron. It is good to hear that he makes more and more improvement. Good news for the new year!!!

Jack and Liz

Sam called last week to let us know she's consolidating some of their communications.  She's stopping the DSL line because she doesn't use it and it can be added again if Ron ever gets home and needs it.  Also, two cell phones are not needed, so Ron's cell phone number is no longer usable.  You might want to delete his number from your phone list and use Sam's instead.  She's been talking with Verizon and may upgrade to a new cell phone she can use for getting occasional email messages.

Otherwise, Ron's continuing to show very slow but steady progress.  She's encouraging him to get out more in his wheelchair instead of sitting in his room so much.  Of course, that means he's out terrorizing other patients and staff!  ;D ;D  Last week they had lunch together in the cafeteria with a couple of staff members and Ron really enjoyed that.  They've had a huge amount of snow so Ron hasn't had a home visit in quite a while and is looking forward to snow melt so he can get out and about more.  One of their neighbors down the road noticed the huge piles of snow in front of the garage and came down one day with his truck snow plow and pushed a lot away so she can get in the garage better now.  Of course, the ramp to the front door is piled high so it will have to get a lot warmer before it melts enough to be usable.

ArdraF

Ardra,

Thanks for the update.  We got more snow today so I expect they did too.  Typically the get 2 to X? times more than we do so I expect it was a bunch.

Glad to hear Ron continues to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BTRDYS
Back
Top Bottom