Ron Ruward in hospital 6-3-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know if Ron has had any success selling the MH?

Thought I answered this earlier but must have pressed the wrong button.  :eek:

George, I'm sorry to say Sam/Donna hasn't had much interest in selling her snow-bound buggy.  A couple of local people stopped by when they saw the For Sale sign, but no one who was "really" interested.  Needless to say it would be a big relief if someone made a reasonable offer.  Of course, the snow will have to melt before anything can happen!  ::)

ArdraF

Sam/Donna called this morning to give us an update on what is happening with the Ruwards.  Ron has been in nursing care for three years and Sam now understands that this is going to be a permanent situation.  The house is getting to be too much for her and the children have been urging her to sell the house and move nearer to them in Texas.  I'm happy to report that moving preparations are well under way with the house having been put on the market and Sam is busy packing boxes and taking "stuff" to the dump.  Next Thursday (5-31-2012) she will be flying with Ron to Texas and they will be accompanied by one of Ron's male physical therapists who has been working with him to get him ready for this trip.  He'll also be there long enough to help get Ron settled in his new home.  Her daughter contacted United to explain their needs and United has been very accomodating.  Transporting Ron to Texas was a huge concern of hers and Sam is much relieved that it's all falling into place.

The kids found a good nursing home in the Dallas area where their son lives and that will be Ron's new home.  Sam will stay in Dallas a couple of weeks to help Ron get settled in his new home, then she'll return to Lewistown to finish emptying the house and deal with the movers who will be there mid-July.  Then she'll return to Dallas and live, at least for the time being, with her son who has a large home with an unused third floor that she can have to herself.  Once Sam gets organized she'll start looking for her own place to live but is happy knowing she doesn't have to rush into anything.

Ron knows he's going on a trip and is looking forward to seeing their children and grandchildren, but he still really believes he'll be returning to Montana.  She tells him every day that they're moving to Texas, but he asks every night if she's taken the house off the market yet.  This will be a difficult transition for Ron, but Sam knows she has to do it now because taking care of the Montana property is just too much for her and it will get even more difficult with the passing years.

So - if you've been planning on seeing the Ruwards in Lewistown this year it's not going to happen!!  ;)  Sam did say that she may change her phone number once she gets settled, but she'll let me know their new addresses and phone numbers.  She did comment how grateful she is to know you're all out there and sending telepathic good wishes.  It's helped a lot.  Once she's in Texas and settled a lot of the stress will be gone.  Maybe we can get her doing email when the kids are nearby to help her learn it!

ArdraF

Thanks for the update. Sounds like things are going to be better in Texas with family near by. We'll keep sending cyber hugs and prayers.

Wendy

Thanks, Wendy.  She's getting 'em!

I forgot to mention that Sam sounded really upbeat during this call.  I think she's feeling a lot better now that she's able to take some action and is actually doing something to make changes.

ArdraF

Thanks, Ardra.  I'm so happy Sam will be near the kids and be receiving some much needed and deserved support.

Margi

Thanks for the update.  Things are progressing nicely since Lorna last talked with Donna a few weeks ago.  We were going to stop in Lewistown in August, but I guess that's off the route now.

Ardra,

Thanks so much for this happy News (in my opinion) .  I  think Ron will adapt to  whatever setting he has!  I think Dallas area is a better place for a Framily visit than way up north in Lewiston, MT.  My best wishes go out to Donna (or Sam as I have always known her) as she charts her own life course now.  I take a moment now  to reflect on life planning when I see friends whose plans were altered drastically with a big time health issue as Ron's stroke. Deep breathe,.... may we all gather something pertinent from the Ruward's situation.

It is so understandable that Ron's therapist would  have developed an affection of this guy to accompany him on an airplane flight!

Keep us posted as TX  is within our travel plans in the fall.

Betty

He had better hope that airplane was made by Boeing :)

Folks- anyone wishing to visit Ron and Sam in Dallas, we live 50 miles west, have plenty of room and hookups and you can stay here for free while you are visiting them. Thats the best I can do, for now. Ernie

Betty Brewer said:
I take a moment now  to reflect on life planning when I see friends whose plans were altered drastically with a big time health issue as Ron's stroke. Deep breathe,.... may we all gather something pertinent from the Ruward's situation.

Betty

Betty,

Good advice.  I have been there.  I lost my wife in 1991 and with that big changes had to be made as all my/our plans for retirement disappeared.  Obviously I recovered from that but again Life happened and we have been kept home by medical issues for most of the last 2 1/2 years.  Not sure of the recovery plan as yet as there are still more Dr's appointments before we know where this is leading.  One way we will be back on the road in the RV, the other- who knows.

It can happen as easy as coming down steps and twisting a knee, I did that, or waking up and not being able to get out of bed or ???

Make your plans but have an alternative for the worst case at least in the back of your mind.

This is really good news, though Ron is going to have swallow hard to accept that Lewistown is no longer in his future.  We are so  happy for Sam, though.  This will lift a heavy, heavy burden from her shoulders.

We're so happy that Sam is seeing a way out of her dire situation. Ron may balk, especially when he knows he's staying it Texas (one must know Ron to appreciate that remark) but I'm sure things will work out for the best.

It certainly will be much easier for Framily to visit. Even though we were only a couple hundred miles away when working in Yellowstone, there just wasn't enough time to make the trip. We'll have to plan on trying to see both of them next winter.

In the past couple of weeks I have been using one of Ron's favorite expressions to describe the weather....Severe clear with no chance of improvement. I remember fondly how he used to love to call people from the beach and tell them that when they were in Florida.  :)

Remembering Ron tonight.  Didn't he just drive us all nuts at times?  In a good way!  ;D

But he was always there with a treat for your dog, to wire up your latest towed vehicle lights, to fix hoe cakes for a happy hour, to tell you just the "right" way to do almost anything. He spent his time lavishly to help others.  I wish we were close enough to hug both of them, especially Sam, because she has been such a trooper through this ordeal. 

They have successfully lived all over the world while working for Boeing.  Texas will be a snap once Ron gets used to the idea!  ;D

Margi

Thanks for all your nice comments about this very special and unique couple we love.  Those of us who know Ron well know exactly to what some of your comments refer!  ;) I was looking today at some of our 2003 Moab rally photos and there they both are, smiling and joking.  As we were driving to Moab this year we were reminiscing about all the times we drove here with the Ruwards and some of the rest of you.  Great trips!  Great memories!

Ernie, thanks for the offer.  Sam did mention that there also are two campgrounds near her son's house.  She described the closest one as being behind a liquor store, but nice once you're inside the place.  She didn't indicate the distances involved.

Betty and Jim, you are so right about the instantaneous events that can change our lives and those of the people closest to us.  Ron and Sam's experience has certainly made us talk about the "what ifs" and agree to agree on certain life-death decisions.  It's not something any of us want to discuss but we really should.

Ned, that's a great comment about their plane being one of Boeing's!  LOL.  You're right - Lewistown will be off your route and probably ours too!  I'll miss visiting them there.

Gary, I'm not sure how long it will take Ron to realize he'll be in Texas permanently.  I suppose it could hit him as soon as they take him to his new home, but it could be when Sam returns to MT for several weeks to close up the house, or it could even be later when he finally realizes he's been in Texas a very long time and Sam talks about looking for a new abode.  Whenever, Sam is going to have her hands full on that one!

ArdraF

Thanks for your update Ardra. As already noted, it ain't easy when you are forced to change your life habits, been there, done that. I know Sam and Ron too appreciate you keeping all of us up to date, as do all of us. It has been a few years since I have seen them but still have fond memories of some of the Q/Z days.

Our troubles are not as serious as Ron's and Sam's but it really isn't fun having to stick close to home for the last four years. Our prayers  will continue for them both.

JerryR

Hugs Ardra, you have been such a wonderful Framily member for keeping us in the loop and keeping Sam and Ron up to date on what the rest of the Framily are thinking towards them.

I am really glad to hear the news of the shift. A big shift but something that circumstances have made essential.

Ernie has made a very generous offer and I hope there are Framily looking forward to taking him up on it once Sam and Ron get themselves settled.

I also hope the rest of us take on board the lessons that are here in front of us. Today is a Gift and it is up to us to make that day as full and as fulfilling as we can make it for we don't know what tomorrow might bring.

And just in case anybody is keeping track, having been part of this Framily since around '96 I still have not bought my RV and it doesn't seem that I would have enough fitness left to be able to do much with it anyway but hanging around this Forum allows me to ride on your journey with you. To enjoy the sights and the sites that you visit and to share in the ups and down of travelling around the countryside with your home on your back ;)

Please keep up the reports and the postings. It helps those of us who might not be able to be out on the road at least dream of what it might be like.

Thanks Ardra, we can only hope that Ron eventually settles down in his new home.

I put on my Lewiston cap before going out for my morning walks. The cap has caused a number of folks to ask "where is Lewiston", and I usually launch into my story of visiting Sam's camp and going fishing with Ron and Joe D'arrigo. I continue on my walk, reminiscing about the warm welcome folks always received from Ron and Sam in person, either in Lewiston or at a rally. I smiled when I read Margi's comment about the Ron we all knew online.

I too was going through some old photos after reading your prior message. Ron used to like to clean and filet fish himself before putting them in the smoker. Sam's quilts, for which she's received numerous awards, are well known among Framily members.
Edit: Fixed typo.

Attachments

• fishermen2.jpg
    fishermen2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 60
  • fish_cleaning2.jpg
    fish_cleaning2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 60
  • quilt2.jpg
    quilt2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 51
Status