Run the generator while driving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He is full of crap.  Everyone runs the generator going down the highway. You would have no air conditioner if you didn't 

allan munroe said:
Hello, I'm new to RVing, I recently purchased a Tiffin Allegro Bus (used) and the Onan 7500 W diesel generator wasn't working because the inverter was fried. While it was being serviced I asked the service manager at the Onan dealer a lot of question and one was running the generator while on the highway. His answer was quick and simple, no unless the conditions are perfect, totally dry and totally dust free and than he said if it was his, he wouldn't. Although that statement was pretty blunt, I not sure it would apply to gas or even other makes of generator.

Welcome to the forum. Not all techs are as informed as they should be. I was trying to figure out why he might think that way. The generator is a self contained system with it's own air cleaner etc. I run my Onan 7500 W diesel generator whenever I need it. I have never had a problem. Just do your annual maintenance and keep it exercised.
Bill

Sadly that more of the malarkey that RVers are often subjected to from uninformed or ill-informed managers, advisors and even techs.

Obviously any Onan genset can be protected by never using it, or only using it in ideal conditions, but what's the point of having it otherwise?  And why would he think that highway travel is any worse operating condition than a dusty or muddy or grassy campsite?

The Onan7500 or 8000 on your Bus has its own air filter and radiator and a separate fuel filter. It needs annual maintenance like the similar systems for the main engine, but it's designed for outdoor use in less than showroom conditions.It has sensors to detect inadequate cooling or lubrication or improper power generation, and even has internal diagnostics to tell if the sensors aren't working as designed. You aren't going to harm it.

Feel free to use your Onan - it likes to run and will suffer less from extensive use than from being "preserved". There is a fair chance that failed inverter was caused by internal moisture build up, which is a result of lack of use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Praise Bus
Back
Top Bottom