Running out of power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm starting to suspect the 2V reading was a meter error of some sort...bad connection, dodgy lead, or something of the like. 

(or-- and we've all been there, one of them I D ten T errors...)

Also last night I heard the refrigerator kicking on and off last night. As it's using propane what is it doing?

Same as it does on 120vac. The only difference in operation is the heat source. Just what is it you are hearing? An absorption fridge is silent unless you have fans either inside or out back on the cooling unit. Then you may hear the fans cycle on/off.

If you hear gurgling when the heat comes on and the cooling unit goes to work, start saving up for a new cooling unit.  :'(

Gary RV Roamer said:
Same as it does on 120vac. The only difference in operation is the heat source. Just what is it you are hearing? An absorption fridge is silent unless you have fans either inside or out back on the cooling unit. Then you may hear the fans cycle on/off.
Not always true, you can hear the flame come on and off when it cycles also, mine is actually quite noticeable. 

It's just a click. Almost like relay or something. Only reason I even heard it was I was sitting outside by the fridge. Also I checked the voltage now AMD it's at 12.47 which is up from this morning. Does the cold weather have anything to do with it?

Mine clicks when I turn it on, I'd imagine it does when it cycles as well but I've never heard it. That's not saying much though. I don't hang around the fridge too often.

As far as your voltage goes, if when you woke up and used the bathroom/water pump the batteries would show a voltage drop and creep up after it rested for awhile so that could be normal that your voltage was higher later in the day.  To get a true reading of a battery's voltage it should be at rest for a few hours. If you are using it, it will always show a lower voltage than it would if it was resting.

If your power needs are truly as low as you say, once you are able, a 100 watt Renogy solar kit on Amazon for $180 would be well worth your while. You would likely not need to run your generator ever.

I have 200 watts of solar with the same batteries you just put in and it has never been plugged in since I put the solar on. I camp exclusively at high elevations in Colorado, don't need A/C and I have an oven, so I just chose not to use the microwave, plus I like stove top popcorn better.  The 200 watts is more than enough to charge the batteries to full by early afternoon after running the furnace, led lights and stereo all night.  Usually it is charged up by noon. I use a Victron battery monitor so I know my exact state of charge without relying on voltage measurements.

A click is normal. Two things occur when the flame cycles on: (1) a solenoid opens the gas valve, and (2) a spark is generate3 at the igniter. Both involve a "click", but usually the igniter is what you hear. After that, there should be no sound, since the LP flame is too small to make any noticeable air-sucking noises.

Good idea on the solar I might look into that. Well today still at 12.48v well see how things progress...... thanks again for the help guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom