RV books and guides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

in2adventure

Anyone have suggestions on a good "RV's for Dummies" kinda book. Just something as a guide so I'm not calling someone for every little detail.

Also, I see a TON of RV travels guides out there. Some cost a ton and are yearly buys and some are cheaper or free. I don't need one for the National Parks, but maybe something to help with cross country one night stop over kinda stuff or maybe weekend state park stays. Suggestions?

Surf the internet for the following inaddtion to the forum libraries for your subject.

Look up RV book stores, check amazon.com , search the state your interested in by asking for State rv campgrounds, parks, activities, etc.  You'll get a ton of material.

The major bookstores have magaizines and books you can look at, Barnes/noble, Borders,etc.

Most of the books become redunant and you are wasting your money.  Camping World and sometimes Walmart have Rving books.  I frequently copy information from blogs, websites into Microsoft word.  I can refer back or printout items for a folder/file.

Checkout Gypsy Journal, Nick prints a monthly paper, sells books you can load on your computer and has an interesting daily blog.  http://www.gypsyjournal.net/blog/

Russ - WB3FQI

Most RV shows have campground vendors there with brochures. Frequently Good Sam is at the show with books and information.

http://campnca.com/campingshows.htm

Russ

I like "The Next Exit" for Interstate Highway travel.  It tells you just what you'll find at, where else?  The Next Exit!

Luca1369 said:
I like "The Next Exit" for Interstate Highway travel.  It tells you just what you'll find at, where else?  The Next Exit!

Thanks! This is what I'm looking for, actual book suggestions.

I know where/how to find the books, it's narrowing it down to what ones. What I wanted to know is, which books does everyone else use. There are no book stores close by for hands on looking and relying on a pretty cover during online searches doesn't usually cut it when it comes right down to the info inside.

Bob Livingston's RV Repair and Maintenance Manual has been popular for many years.  He's been writing techie articles for a long time and is quite knowledgeable.  It's published by Trailer Life and you can probably find an updated version online.

Other books I consider essential are Trailer Life's Campground Directory to locate places to stay along our route.  Another campground directory is Woodall's.  Most of us use one or the other.  If you're going to be traveling in mountainous areas, the east- and west-coast editions of the Mountain Directory will help you know what to expect on various roads and will help keep you from going places you shouldn't go in an RV.  The aforementioned Next Exit not only tells you what businesses are located along the interstate highways, but it also helps you avoid getting off at an exit where there is no return in your direction.  There are many guides on freebie places to camp.  Finally, as you enter a new state on an interstate, stop at the visitor center where they have a wealth of information on things to do, places to see, campgrounds that may not be in the major campground directories (because the campgrounds pay to be listed), and maps.

You can find a lot of good publications at www.rvbookstore.com.

ArdraF

I just picked up the "Complete RV Handbook" by Jayne Freeman. Found it at Barnes and Nobles. I grabbed that and a book dealing with going full time.

Have delved into the Full-time book but the Complete RV handbook is really good so far.

I find freecampgrounds.com useful at times. There are several books by the Churches that have useful info about campgrounds (southwest, mexico, northwest). If you're a AAA member, they have TourBooks and CampBooks that are chockfull of info.

Enjoy your travels.
Wendy

WHile I can't help you with RV for Dummmies  There are a couple of books I found helpful as generic "owner's Manuals" in a couple of places one of them was actually better than the factory manual of which I have about 10 pounds :)

The RV Book
and
The RV Owners Handbook

Most RV places will have one, the other, or both.

Beyond that a good campground directory (included as a feature of Streets & Trips and I suspect many other software map packages as well) to help you find places to park

NO directory is complete however, with the possible exception of AAA but to get that one you have to be a member (I am, or was)

Thanks for all the great book info  :) This is very helpfull and will narrow the search down alot. Having a couple of generalized books around is a good thing for quick referances. I just downloaded two apps for my I-touch for campground locations and info. They may or may not replace a book, but good for a quick glance. I'll be picking up one of the RV owner's guides soon.

We also have a Garmin Nuvi and download all kinds of listings, such as campgrounds, Wal-Marts, etc.  We use http://www.poi-factory.com/ to get these listings.

ArdraF

Speaking of campground info, I haven't bought a Trailer Life directory since the first one back in '04 when I retired.  I use RV Park Reviews. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/index.html

Joel

Now that you mention it Joel, I don't think I've had my TL directory out of the cupboard in a couple of years. Probably ought to just throw it away or burn it next Quartzsite.

Wendy

We use the Campground Directory all the time when traveling.  Generally we buy a new one about every other year or if we have an extra big trip planned.  Do you suppose there's a special "librarian gene" where I have to have my paper books handy??  ::)

ArdraF

Ardra, I've got that same "librarian" gene.....I won't give up my paper books for anything! However, I find myself using the TL guide less and less. I've replaced it with internet sites, AAA CampBooks, Church's guides, and others. Of course, I love searching for FREE campgrounds so TL doesn't help me a whole lot with that.

Wendy

I got a few good RV books from our local library and then decided which ones we might benefit from owning. We currently are plowing through "The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing", "Rving in the 21st Century" and "Home sweet Motorhome", as well as a couple others that have yet to arrive. I ordered them all used from Abes Books online, some of which I only paid $3, including s&h.

I spent the the first half of the year heavily researching RVs and read anything I could get my hands on including a lot of the books from standalone bookstores. The "RVers Bible" would get my award for best all around general information book. They all have the standard "These are the differences between a Class A, C, 5er, etc." but in my opinion this book provided a little more depth in the categories of selecting, buying, owning, and maintaining the RV. For a book that includes good information about camping in different sections of the country, I'd recommend "RV vacations for Dummies". It has the standard stuff in it as well but doesn't dedicate a lot of pages to the owning and maintaining portion. Others before me have given good recommendations as well (which also included several of the books I bought during my read-a-thon). I'll also give a glowing recommendation for the The RV Repair and Maintenance book mentioned above. Fortunately haven't had to use it yet but it seems to have a great amount broad reference material should the need arise.

This forum is great for specific questions you may come across and the library section was very enlightening as well.  :D Can't beat the internet for campground information and suggestions - they'll be more up to date than anything in print.

No one seems to have mentioned the Mountain Directory -- East and, especially, West.  Unless you confine yourselves to I-95 and Florida, a copy will save you any number of unforeseen adventures (aka nightmares). 

www.mountaindirectory.com

Joel, thanks for reminding me about the www.rvparkreviews.com site.  I planned our trip last year with it, but had forgotten about it!  I second the motion that this is an awesome site! 

Janina

Back
Top Bottom