RV Cover - TT (the good and bad)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrwpmw

I have battled the pros and cons of this for years, but with a new RV I'm thinking about it again.

I store my RV outside like most people, it's winterized 4 months out of the year.  During those 4 months I have been thinking about covering it with an RV cover.

During the other 8 months, I use my camper to much to mess with putting it on/taking it off all of the time!

What are your opinions on RV covers?  I know they help cut down on RV and element damage, but I have also heard the can rub the paint of at stress points and become a home for small animals!

So help me decide - share your opinions and thanks as always!

We don't use one - I'd have to get on the roof to do anything with it.  My declining sense of balance doesn't allow that.

Whatever you do, don't use one of those blue all-purpose tarps you can get from the hardware store.  They will mess up your finish.  My Dad tried that - he quickly learned it wasn't worth the money he saved.

Sounds like you already know the basic pros and cons generally discussed here.  I'm not sure you'll get too many new answers.  ;)

jrwpmw said:
During those 4 months I have been thinking about covering it with an RV cover.

What are you hoping to gain by having it covered those 4 months?  I mean, what happens during that time that may require a cover?  The winter sunlight/UV index is much less damaging than the summer months, so sun damage wouldn't be much of an issue for the 4 "non peak" months of the year.  RV's are built to handle rain, so there's really no advantage to keeping your roof dry (again only 4 months out of the year).  If snow is damaging at all, it would be due to the actual weight of accumulated snow over a long period of time... and a cover would do nothing to prevent that.  Hurricanes or tornadoes?  If a tree branch flies into the side of your RV, a cover won't help.  ;)  Plus then you come back around to wind either (a) causing the cover to blow away completely, or at least (b) causing it to flap around and potentially cause surface damage to the RV finish.

This doesn't really apply for your TT, but I try to drive my MH at least once a month even when winterized to keep fluids/belts moving and seals/gaskets fresh.  A cover would be one more thing I'd have to put on and take off every time, and the inconvenience of that would probably (unfortunately) keep me from driving the MH as often.

Back
Top Bottom