RV Curtains, suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asmol

Hello all! I am currently wanting to remove the cornice boards over my windows and somehow install curtain rods to make the space feel more like home. I have researched some about using command curtain rod hooks and other adhesive methods but I find that the price for these adhesive hooks alone are more than I want to pay. I have 10 windows that I would like to place curtains over. Any ideas as far as what i could use besides adhesive hooks to hang up a curtain rod? Is it bad to drill a hole in the wall and use a traditional curtain rod holder?

asmol said:
Is it bad to drill a hole in the wall and use a traditional curtain rod holder?
Not at all.  Use short screws.  make it your own, just keep in mind you want to sell it one day so keep it tasteful.

Just remember that the wallboard is VERY thin, typically 1/8", so the screws don't grip well and can pull out easily. A screw insert or hollow wall anchor is suggested if the curtains or rods are very heavy or likely to get tugged upon now and then.

We're in the process of removing the old, broken Roman shades from the bedroom of our coach.  We're going to replace them with curtains made out of some hippie tapestries that match the one we use as a bed spread. 
Going to remove the vertical parts of the valances altogether, remove the ruffles from the top parts and re-cover them with left over pieces of the tapestry material.  Will hang the curtains with spring rods on the inside of the valance boxes.

ridding my beast of all the old day/night shades and the built-in valances that just look horrible to begin with and updating to cordless cellular day/night shades with no valance crap at all. Automatically cleaned the look up in my mine coach area. About $120 for 52x36 shade. Got ours from Award Blinds online.  You can get color samples.  I ordered on a Wednesday and had them 6 days later.

You should get one of the caf? curtain rods. They are just a round tube. You would solve the problem of it sticking out from the wall as they are almost flush to the wall. Plus you could install them all the way at the top so you wouldn't have a little gap from having to leave the space to tilt the other type of curtain rod

We went with room darkening cordless mini blinds using the attachments which hold the bottom to the wall when driving. The plastic ones don't make the horrific noises of metal or wood blinds going down the road. Much quieter than the original day/night shades, way darker when closed, and weigh less. 48" is $22 at Walmart and it is simple to shorten to length.

My 2000 rv is new to me this summer.

First thing I did was to take out all the elaborate (and heavy) upholstered valances and wooden frames that held the day/night shades.
Rv was instantly lighter and brighter and seemed larger inside.

My walls are 1/4" plywood, then foam, then fiberglass outer skin.
I bought vinyl blinds and hung most of them under the cabinets so no concern about weight there. Then I got simple brushed nickel curtain rods and added lightweight sheer curtains. The rods are screwed into the wall but the sheers have very little weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom