RV FORUM HOP, SKIP, AND JUMP RALLY II May 1, 2010 ? May 13, 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Randy

If you can't get into HT on a daily basis, Sunflower is a couple of miles east on Mirage, just south of Bell. Easy to tool over to HT for Happy Hour. Very nice CG.

So glad we joined the H,S&J at Torrey. Sorry we missed the better weather and more opportunity for happy-hour-get-to-know-yous. Thank you to the planners for making it possible.
See you in Catalina and Quartzsite. And Texas, Ardra??

Lucy,

It was good seeing you and George again.  It's been 'way too long a time!

Four of us continued on to Moab and got reservations at Portal for the week of May 8-15, 2011.  There are now eight signed up for the Moab rally.  Hope you can join us.  Not sure how Texas would work for us.

See the Moab rally announcement thread below for details and to sign up.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=31848.0;topicseen

ArdraF

Thanks, Ardra. Yes, I saw that right after I posted to you tongue-in-cheek about Texas. We don't 4-wheel so will go to Texas if Ron organizes same. Otherwise, see you in Quartzsite and, I hope, Catalina. We haven't made New Year's since Laughlin so it is past time.

Lucy,

Not quite true about you not 4 wheeling. I still remember, and have photos, of George not wanting to watch me fall off the edge of a cliff overlooking the Green River!!! ;D

Jim,

He still talks about that! He was telling someone at the H,S&J about the crazy people looking over the ledge. We ate lunch out there and he sat way back from us!

I remember Pat telling you you didn't HAVE to follow Ron Ruward over those rocks - we were walking by then!

I indicated that I would host a Texas Rally in April, 2011 if you are interested.  The plan would be two (5) day periods at two different campgrounds in the Texas Hill Country in April. 

Please indicate ASAP if you have any interest.  Lot's to do and see.  There will be a planned schedule of events.

Ron from Big D

P.S.  Been having trouble getting online.  Just got a new computer after the old one bit the dust.

Ron,

We would be interested depending on our schedule for seeing family.  We would probably only do one of the stays, I would guess the earliest one.

I aid yes on the Texas Rally topic page. Will depend on whatevers when it gets closer to the time but we should be a go.

Thanks, Jeff. We may have the opportunity to come up and visit some time early next year. I'll check with you before we do. But, if we do, and if we should play golf while we're there, I'll be asking for a second opinion before hitting any blind shots toward a green.

Randy

AZ Randy said:
Thanks, Jeff. We may have the opportunity to come up and visit some time early next year. I'll check with you before we do. But, if we do, and if we should play golf while we're there, I'll be asking for a second opinion before hitting any blind shots toward a green.

Randy

We'll have two Sky Caddies working. ;D

All,

I would like to suggest that the forthcoming 2011 Moab and Texas Hill Country rallies be discussed in their own threads instead of in this one which has been completed.  It's getting too confusing when three rallies are talked about in the same thread.  Both of the 2011 rally threads have been started.  Please see:

Moab:  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=31848.0

Texas:  http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=31836.0

Thanks,
ArdraF

To Tom --

I owe you an answer about the trout fishing laybys you mentioned along UT 24 north of Bicknell toward Fish Lake.  When we left the HS+J for SLC, we followed UT 24 north to I-70 and I paid attention until we passed the Fish Lake turnoff and I just didn't see them. Maybe I misunderstood your directions or something.

Don

Don,

Those turnouts were on the road up the mountain, but weren't necessarily obvious. Some were hidden from the road behind large rocks, but they were large enough for several RVs. They weren't necessarily "fishing layby's" (i.e. not necessarily next to the Fremont River), but were a legal place to boondock within easy reach of fishing. Wish I'd taken some photos and made better note of their locations. But they did exist, and I checked several of them out before posting a report a couple of years ago.

Sounds like you might have taken a different route if you went through Bicknell, although my memory is a bit vague. I mentioned going through Loa and following the Fremont River.

Somewhere around here I still have the map I bought at the ranger station in Loa (might be in the coach). Can't recall if I might have marked the locations of those turnouts.

Tom --

I looked at the map again and reread your post.  Loa is the next town west/north from Bicknell on UT 24.

It is now obvious to me that you were probably talking about UT 72 which goes north from Loa along the Fremont River.

No wonder i couldn't spot the pullouts!  ::) ;D  It would be a looong walk from UT 24 to the Fremont!

I'll do better next time.

Don

Glad you figured it out Don. I didn't recall the road number, but I did say to follow the Fremont River after passing through Loa in my original post. I was merely checking out the fishing possibilities that day. The following day I used the services of a fishing guide, and he took me a different way to his favorite holes on the Fremont, but I can't recall which road he took.

H.S.J 2010 rally,

Yes I realize this is an overdue report on our H.S.J 2010 rally adventures.

First of all thanks to Jeff, Sue, Kevin and Sheila for putting this successful rally together. Despite the weather and our handicap of not being able to participate in the hikes and other physical activities we had a great time but wished that we would have had more opportunities to socialize with new and old framily members.
Our return trip was not as adventurous as our way up, but it was as pricey.
Leaving from Torrey to our next stop Las Vegas on Thursday we got fuel at the flying J in Beaver.
During the fueling we were made aware by one of the attendants that one of our 2003 295/80/22.5 Goodyear was about ready to explode. Amazingly the Good Year shop had new recent tires DOT 1310 in stock. 90 Minutes later $ 1400.00 lighter for 2 tires we were back on the road.
We checked in at the Oasis in Las Vegas and I was not willing to pay $ 5.50 for one night of Wi-Fi. Friday we made it from L.V. to the Orange Grove in Bakersfield were we had free Wi-Fi, By that time with an empty wallet I did not remember anymore what I was going to report. Next day Saturday we arrived home and sitting comfortably for that 50? flat screen TV we found out that we did not needed to make an appointment with the optometrist, there was nothing wrong with our eyesight but the 19? blurry TV in the motorhome is a candidate for an upgrade.
I checked here in San Jose for prices on the 4 tires for the rear but price is the same as what I paid in Utah.
Plan is now to go to Oregon (no sales tax) and at the same time have our 3 section driver side window replaced or repaired in Coburg.
We may combine this trip in August with going to a Monaco rally in Salem and or the FMCA in Bend OR in August.
Our travelling plans will depend on my foot condition. Visited the Podiatric today and decided what to do next. Decision was made to remove some of the hardware (4 ?tag screw) to create more space for bone growth fusion. Surgery is scheduled for June 24 and it may require temporarily to continue wearing my boot or going back to a hard cast.
In the mean time the grand kits are hoping we can take them on a trip during their upcoming vacation.

Keep smiling life is great :)

Chris & Mimi

Chris, your tires are certainly due for replacement being right at 7 years old.  Thankfully you didn't have a blow out on the road.  You might want to check out some other brands than Goodyear, like Continental or Bridgestone.  Goodyear makes great tires, but they're getting really expensive and I'm not sure it's worth it, especially for the drive axle.  Les Schwab in OR is a good place to shop for tires.

It's good that you're still able to travel even with the foot problems.  You'll get back "on your foot" eventually, I'm sure :)

Back
Top Bottom