RV GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Excalibur

I really can't afford to buy a decent RV specific GPS system, since the decent ones start at about 400 bucks, so I am looking into the RV GPS apps for Androids. There is a bewildering variety of them out there and yearly subscriptions are all over the place costwise. Does anyone have experience using a decent app that doesn't cost two limbs of the body? Thanks.

You spent a lot of money on your RV, spend a lot of money in fuel to enjoy your RV, and spend at least a decent amount of money to park your RV in parks.
Spend a decent amount of money to have a proper RV GPS.
Garmin makes a great one and it cost upwards of $800.
You only have to pay that once. How much will it cost if your RV hits a bridge?

You spent a lot of money on your RV, spend a lot of money in fuel to enjoy your RV, and spend at least a decent amount of money to park your RV in parks.
Spend a decent amount of money to have a proper RV GPS.
Garmin makes a great one and it cost upwards of $800.
You only have to pay that once. How much will it cost if your RV hits a bridge?
I saw that 800 dollar one, hence my post. Looking for an Android based gps App. I would have to travel for the next 30 years to make up that difference, and that ain't likely since I am almost 70 now. Apps are 20-30 bucks a year. I am just looking for recommendations. And at 9'2" not likely to hit a bridge. Looking more for good roads and gas and campgrounds.

I was about ready to say the same. A decent Garmin RV GPS costs about the same as one tank of gasoline.

And one can buy a decent used RV GPS quite cheap that should work as well as the new ones.

Or make an offer here.

-Don- Auburn, CA
I am pulling a small trailer with a conversion van with a 32 gallon tank. That's about 120 bucks. A lot less than 800. Not like pulling a 40 foot trailer or MH

I really can't afford to buy a decent RV specific GPS system, since the decent ones start at about 400 bucks, so I am looking into the RV GPS apps for Androids. There is a bewildering variety of them out there and yearly subscriptions are all over the place costwise. Does anyone have experience using a decent app that doesn't cost two limbs of the body? Thanks.
We do use a Garmin RV type GPS and Google Maps on an Android phone/tablet but almost always keep the Garmin in "car" mode, not RV and it works much like Google Maps.

Don't really see the need to pay for an Android RV/GPS app.

You can still find the
older Garmin RV gps such as the RV760 that I have.
The problem with cell phone gps is what do you do in areas that have NO cell service and there are still ares here in the US that are dead.

I guess it depends on what you want the GPS for. If it's basic routing and navigation then most any solution can work to some degree. As my RV travels the past few years has shown, it would take a pretty remarkable android app to equal the functionality and utility of an RV Garmin. Finding attractions, places to stay, avoidance, rest stops, fuel, food, on and on are on tap and accessible with an easy to use interface while underway. Google maps is a sad substitute to even a basic garmin street GPS.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

As my RV travels the past few years has shown, it would take a pretty remarkable android app to equal the functionality and utility of an RV Garmin. Finding attractions, places to stay, avoidance, rest stops, fuel, food, on and on are on tap and accessible with an easy to use interface while underway. Google maps is a sad substitute to even a basic garmin street GPS.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Love my Garmin and you make some valid points. But at the same time, finding attractions, places to stay, rest stops, fuel, food, etc. are just a click away when using Google Maps as well. Google Maps has a number of other benefits as well such as satellite view, being able to open multiple tabs, click to check out helpful websites, etc.
Of course RV specific mode with Garmin offers additional functionality but as I noted above, we rarely travel with the Garmin in that mode and find other apps preferable and more flexible for finding places and sites.

One big difference between the two systems as Hvactech pointed out is needing cell coverage for Google Maps. But even there, if you plan ahead you can download maps for Google Maps when traveling in such areas.

Not knocking Garmin at all as I use it as my primary navigation along with my copilot on the tablet using Maps. Just pointing out that they can work well together.

As a man that has had name tags that said "Navigator" under my name, I have some opinions that others may not share. It is all junk since Garman dumped Street Atlas. There no replacement for the enroute navigation and planning tool that provided. I have tried using Android smart phones only to drive off the edge of the earth on a few critical occasions. Yes, I did the pre-load the maps trick.
So, if all you are looking for is basis - very basic street guidance, a smart phone or tablet will do. If you want to be sure what is going on, buy at least a small vehicle GPS.
Matt_C

Messing around with google can work when you're stopped and have good connectivity. It's an absolute crapshow when you're in an unfamiliar place and you're getting routed through a subdivision, downtown alleys or desolate roads (my google reality). You turn the garmin on and it's all there, ready to go. To me garmin sets the bar, anything else would need to be at least as good. Farting around online and diving into the minutia of stops and routes is a non starter. I need answers rolling down the road often with one hand on the wheel.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Google maps does a pretty fine job… we use it a lot for the satellite view pictures to figure out our escape route from a place before we pull in. (e.g. Can we we drive around a building, as opposed to having to back up). If you’re on a tight budget, you can, for the most part, get by getting really good at extensively using readily available resources.
That said, I have to echo the previous posts. I see all the time folks trying to save money on things that are very infrequent expenditures… like batteries or tires. If you take the cost difference between cheap tires and better quality tires and amortize it over seven years, the decision becomes a nobrainer.
But when it comes to things that (until you own them) can be considered optional (e.g. RV-specific GPS systems, TPMS systems); I can understand the reluctance to pull the trigger.

I have been using Garmin for years without issue. The expensive ones are a waste of money. All you need is a reasonably priced one. Here is the one I use:

This is my thought as well. My Garmin cost $99 several years ago and came with free lifetime updates. It has worked perfectly fine for me. No idea what the 800 buck version does.

I do a little pre-trip planning so I pretty much know how to get somewhere before we hit the road.

This is my thought as well. My Garmin cost $99 several years ago and came with free lifetime updates. It has worked perfectly fine for me. No idea what the 800 buck version does.

I do a little pre-trip planning so I pretty much know how to get somewhere before we hit the road.
Yeah, but will your $99.00 model highlight the locations of truckstop bathrooms with the flush lever on your left or the off ramp to the historical marker at the exact spot Davy Crockett skinned the coon to make his cap. You get what you pay for.

I assume that they are considering RVers to be very well off to afford an RV so therefore they sell RV items at a large markup.

I like my tools to be multi-functional. I installed a tablet mount in my RV. It is a basic model with no sim card. I tether it to my phone. I have run some dedicated RV apps but for me google maps works plenty fine.

The 9 inch screen is ideal for navigating in an RV and there is no shortage of real estate to install it. I also keep my phone in a mount for hands free dialing and so forth.

If google would simply offer a route choice that said, "Follow Trucking Routes." It would be near perfect. As it is one has to be aware that google will route one on on teh "quickest/shortest" route regardless of the street size.

1708266887443.png

Garmin GPSs hav e steep learning curve. I used one for 7 years. Garmin does quit supporting their devices, at some point (i.e. no updates or help) Recently switched to a Samsung tablet with built in gps (no cellular sim, I connect it to my phone's hotspot, when needed). I use, and have used several RV apps. Have been pretty happy with RV Tripwizard, for the most part. Also been experimenting GAIA GPS (they are coming closer to providing road based routing). Both are subscription based and include the ability to download the needed maps for off-line use.
RV Tripwizard has a trial period, at no cost. Same with GAIA.
I do use Google maps as a backup/secondary routing tool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom