RV GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having upgraded Gamins for a number of years we have an inventory of older units no longer in service. While the older models work, newer models offer a number of features making them much more useful:
  • Free map data upgrades
  • Larger screens
  • Pop-up graphic showing exactly what lanes to use at what can be complex exits/entrances
  • Ability to use voice commands keeping your hands & eyes free

Having upgraded Gamins for a number of years we have an inventory of older units no longer in service.
That's kinda why I steered away from Garmins. I have a Garmin 295 that I used for flying. I think it still boots up but as I read the Garmin site the last update was like in 2003.

My biggest non driving use for GPS in the last 15 years has been boating and for that I d/l Navionics.

I recently purchased a Rand McNally Overdryve 8 Pro II ($350, “reconditioned” on Amazon. It was like new.) This is an 8” trucker’s GPS, but if you are driving a diesel pusher as I am, you are essentially driving a straight truck or bus.

I fuel up at truck stops 100% of the time. No small, neighborhood stations for me, thanks. This GPS comes with a complete database of every truck stop in the country, along with truck parking spots and truck washes, both very useful.

Additional POIs can be easily added via a properly formatted CSV file. I uploaded the POI Factory RV Parks and Campgrounds file into it, along with Enterprise rental car locations and all rest areas in the country.

I like it better than the Garmin RV 780 I had in the coach.

Will the phone Apps work with an external satellite GPS connected to your phone or IPad. I did this on my IPad with a navigation app as a backup when I was flying.

So you're driving across country in areas you have never been before and you don't know which roads to take but you know which roads won't have cell phone service to pre download maps? Just want to understand how that works? A dedicated RV Gps can be had for $300 to $400 or even less if you shop around. Try Ebay for a starter. A $400 GPS used for a year is about $33 per month. Use it longer and it quickly works out to about the same as paying monthly for an app that doesn't quite do the job. Chuck

So you're driving across country in areas you have never been before and you don't know which roads to take but you know which roads won't have cell phone service to pre download maps? Just want to understand how that works? A dedicated RV Gps can be had for $300 to $400 or even less if you shop around. Try Ebay for a starter. A $400 GPS used for a year is about $33 per month. Use it longer and it quickly works out to about the same as paying monthly for an app that doesn't quite do the job. Chuck
This may horrify some, but I know for a fact, you can check, before cell phones and gps devices they had these things called maps.

So you're driving across country in areas you have never been before and you don't know which roads to take but you know which roads won't have cell phone service to pre download maps? Just want to understand how that works?

It's not that one doesn't have $400. It's that one doesn't want another device... Or at least that's my situation.

And I basically look at the route and if there are long stretches of rural driving especially away from interstates I may d/l the offline map. but TBH life doesn't end if one doesn't have electronic navigation. If one sticks to State and US highways or interstate freeways there is little likelihood of driving off a cliff or getting into a situation that is undriveable for an RV.

I am certainly not dissing anyone's choice to buy a dedicated RV GPS.

It's not that one doesn't have $400. It's that one doesn't want another device... Or at least that's my situation.

And I basically look at the route and if there are long stretches of rural driving especially away from interstates I may d/l the offline map. but TBH life doesn't end if one doesn't have electronic navigation. If one sticks to State and US highways or interstate freeways there is little likelihood of driving off a cliff or getting into a situation that is undriveable for an RV.

I am certainly not dissing anyone's choice to buy a dedicated RV GPS.
Good point.
For us, it's not wandering in the boonies that we care about having a GPS. It is when negotiating metropolitan areas that I usually feel the need for "Electronic Guidance"

So you're driving across country in areas you have never been before and you don't know which roads to take but you know which roads won't have cell phone service to pre download maps? J
Map downloads are regional, not for specific roads or towns. I'm in the habit of downloading maps for whatever region I will be in, "just in case" I want to consult a map when service is slow or non-existent.

This may horrify some, but I know for a fact, you can check, before cell phones and gps devices they had these things called maps.
I've heard of these things called "maps".

I even seem to remember posting here some time ago that I purchased this huge Rand book of USA maps with all kinds of lines, circles & squares, wavy colored lines-- laminated even. But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't figure out how to zoom in on a page or search for anything! :ROFLMAO:

I've heard of these things called "maps".

I even seem to remember posting here some time ago that I purchased this huge Rand book of USA maps with all kinds of lines, circles & squares, wavy colored lines-- laminated even. But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't figure out how to zoom in on a page or search for anything! :ROFLMAO:
Most don't realize however, before gps and google maps, paper maps were the reason many folks drove off cliffs.

Well, I used to have Rand McNally RV GPS units, then Rand McNally exited the RV GPS business.
I looked at Garmin and the prices made my wallet cry. So I bought a Chinese brand OHREX 7" RV/HDT specific GPS. It's has worked very well every time I used it in the MH or in my pickup. Best part_ $60.
This does have map updates that come on an SD card @ $20 each.
I ordered one of those as soon as I read your message. It came in the next day here (Prime member), but I just now got around to opening the box and charging it up.

Reno is very fast to ship to for most items as many of Amazon's warehouses are just a few miles from me.

I guess I ordered it just for curiosity as I already have a GPS for every one of my many vehicles with a few backups and certainly do not need another.

But it looks like a decent unit from playing around with it for the last hour or so, especially for the low price.

-Don- Reno, NV

Yep.... I was in construction and went all over LA CO.... So These were indispensable... I bet I still have a drawer full of them somewhere...
1709050967086.jpeg
Butch

Will the phone Apps work with an external satellite GPS connected to your phone or IPad. I did this on my IPad with a navigation app as a backup when I was flying.
This is what I do also. I use the Sygic app mostly but can switch to Google maps if needed.
It has still routed me off and on freeways for no apparent reason but generally speaking, it works pretty well.
And I get a large screen I can actually see and an iPad to use when stopped at my destination.

Good point.
For us, it's not wandering in the boonies that we care about having a GPS. It is when negotiating metropolitan areas that I usually feel the need for "Electronic Guidance"
I'm kinda the opposite... I have no problem doing the on highway stuff and I do the off-road boonies stuff.. So I need something that will use GPS coordinates to get me somewhere, but will still give me road directions, so that I know how to get to that point..
Butch

Are poor unpaved roads considered off-road? Anyway, I have found countless such roads where the GPS would take me to a locked gate. The GPS is often useless for such.

-Don- Reno, NV
It depends on "How Poor" , and "How Unpaved". There are roads around here that used to be "Paved" but that was a century ago. If you look closely enough, you can still see some asphalt remnants.
Neither Google, nor Garmin are perfect, but they are often better than nothing when you don't know where you are.

Are poor unpaved roads considered off-road? Anyway, I have found countless such roads where the GPS would take me to a locked gate. The GPS is often useless for such.

-Don- Reno, NV
Not so much worried about looked gates... We camp in undeveloped spots in the desert... One of our party finds a spot and sends coordinates to the others and we all head to that location.. Usually no road signs or markers getting there... Mostly just unpaved roads, then head cross country.. The GPS that came in My 2008 GMC worked pretty good when I had the 5th wheel, But no GPS in the MH...
Butch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom