RV HF Nets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, they did drop Morse code.. Found out the real reason a few days back.

But they have added questions about OTHER digital modes, and a few questions about Rocket Science to the test to make up for it, So I'd not say it's easier to get a license today... Just different questions is all.

Now: Why the code change?  For many years the MILITARY used Morse code as either the primary method of long range communication (early days) or at least the method of last resort... They wanted a large cardre of trained operators they could call up in time of need.. Amateur radio has a long and proud history of meeting that need.

Several years ago the Military dropped Morse code completly and switched to other digital modes.  The FCC followed suit is all.  Since the military is no longer going to ask for CW operators (Though I do beileve the CIA still wants them) there is no longer a need for us Hams to know so we can go.. To war that is.

However we do need to know how to work with satellites (The military uses those) and other digital modes (Likewise) so the test was updated to included Amtor, Pactor, PSK and rocket science.

"Now: Why the code change?  For many years the MILITARY used Morse code as either the primary method of long range communication (early days) or at least the method of last resort... They wanted a large cardre of trained operators they could call up in time of need.. Amateur radio has a long and proud history of meeting that need."

I was the only one in my Army Basic Training company to get 100% on their code test. Highest score on the electrical test. That was in early 1969.

Of all the tests, I scored lowest in the infantry-related test. The only army test I scored below average.

So, of course, the army put me in the infantry (MOS 11B) and sent me to Vietnam.

73, Don, AA6GA (WB6YYO in 1969)

Though most folks would say "Just like the army"  Fact is some times they got it right..

There is a story of a communications outfit that got a new LT. Well the Sgt's all figured they have to teach the LT everything.. However right after he arrived he ask the Sgt about a new radio they were supposed to be getting...

The Sgt said it had just arrived.. But no manuals came with it.. The LT says "Well let's take a look"

They looked (Opened box and removed it) the LT said That's a Hallicrafter's ___model___" and proceeded to hook it up and operate it.  The Sgt expressed a desire to have the proper manuals.  So the LT placed a phone call:..... HAL, we've got a ____ here and we need the manuals... Yup, he knew his business all right.

Don:

I aced that same CW test.  Everyone else in the unit giggled during the test.  I never knew why they gave the test or what good my 100% did me.  I think all the gigglers knew something I didn't.  ;D

Smoky said:
Don:
I aced that same CW test.  Everyone else in the unit giggled during the test.  I never knew why they gave the test or what good my 100% did me.  I think all the gigglers knew something I didn't.  ;D

The army CW test was so slow that I almost fell asleep between the letters ;D.

This was just after the time when the ARRLids talked the FCC into the so-called "incentive licensing". I had the (just then  restarted) Advanced Class before I went into the army as I had to wait two years of General or above to even take the test for the Extra. I was  working 100% HF CW before the army. When I got back into it after I got out of the army, it was time to take the Extra at the FCC. They had me go first, I used my own Curtis Iambic keyer. I sent at 35 WPM without a single mistake. I think I made the rest of them very nervous as the guy after me flunked the sending test.

The 20 WPM receiving test at the FCC seemed very slow to me too, because I was so active on CW for so many years before then. I have been a ham since 1965, and mainly just on CW.

However, I lost interest in hamming since those days. I like this computer stuff much better. I am a radio tech by profession so I get enough radio on the job. I like communication this way much better because it's a lot easier to find people with common interests besides radio.

But I will always keep my license renewed. I may get back into it someday, perhaps after I decide to retire, whenever that might be.

73, Don AA6GA (SF, CA)

That incentitive licensing suggestion the ARRL made was in response to something that was even worse the FCC was thinking of

So it was the better of the two options... Though I'm glad it did not survive as it was written  Still...  Should it ever resurface.. I got my "E" ticket now.

Don:

You should get back into it.  I am a funny one to say that, as I still have not put up my 40 mtr hamstick dipole since I got back to AZ.  I also have the all band self adjusting antenna that is made for the Yaesu 857d, but I could never get it to work on the coach.  Works fine on a car.

I love cw best of all.  Don't know why, it is just fun and second nature to me.  Can do 25 wpm in my head, and handle 35 wpm with paper and pencil.

I remember when I was a general class in my pre teens I finally got Montana as my last WAS.  It was sooo exciting.  And now I live there in the summer.  I would never have imagined that.  In the 50s Montana was a lot rarer contact than it is today.

My funniest ham story.

When I lived in Maryland, one of my nearby (about 5  miles) neighbors was N3UN.  In those days he was a BIG GUN DXer and contester.

One evening he was in a contest involving working as many UK counties (or whatever the equivalent is) as possible.  His signal was so good into the British Isles that he was the one calling CQ and working a pileup.  I heard a station about a kc off his freq calling him...JY1.  I was not savvy enough to know anything more than that it was a Jordan station, but didn't know if Wayne had Jordan for his DXCC, so I called him on the phone.  He said, no he did not have Jordan, but he would work the guy after the contest pileup faded.  Being a courteous guy, Wayne made a quick call announcing, "the station in Jordan, please stand by I will get to you shortly."

About 20 minutes later, as the path to the UK began fading, Wayne called,"JY1 JY1, this is N3UN in Westminster Maryland."

JY1 came right back to him and the contact ensued.  JY1 turned out to be a rather chatty fellow and wanted to know if N3UN was the United Nations station.  Wayne laughed and explained, no, and that it was the extra class call sign he had requested.

As the conversation continued, the very humble guy at the JY1 station eventually revealed he was King Hussein of Jordan.

For many years afterwards, the entire Westminster Amateur Radio Club, of which I was a member, would always refer to Wayne, N3UN, as "the man who kept the King waiting".  ;D

Smoky - W3PY

John In Detroit said:
That incentitive licensing suggestion the ARRL made was in response to something that was even worse the FCC was thinking of

So it was the better of the two options... Though I'm glad it did not survive as it was written  Still...  Should it ever resurface.. I got my "E" ticket now.

What was the other "FCC  option"  then?

-Don-

That Don I do not recall..  But it was quite a mess. The incentive plan was much better.  And the plan we have today is better still. but I don't recall the details of a plan that never made it.

Back
Top Bottom