RV insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dogface

I recently bought a 'new to me' Alumascape fiver.  My previous trailer I had insured with USAA and it was affordable.  This trailer they quoted me about $260/year for full coverage.  It's just that we don't use the trailer more than a few times per year and otherwise it's stored in a secure storage lot.  The owners live on site.  I know that Good Sam offers 'as needed' insurance where you simply call just before a trip to activate and again when you get back to de-activate. 

Is this a good idea ?  The storage lot advises they will not cover damage, etc..  These days we all wanna save $$  Advice and tips please :)

Thanks,
Mark

I have found that nothing is 100% secure.  What would happen if your RV was damaged at the storage facility? Would it be covered? You don't need insurance until "you do".  Your buying a piece of mind and I would say keep it insured.

GMAC (the insurer who writes the GS policies) allows you to suspend the liability & collision coverage while the rig is in storage. Comprehensive remains in effect, so it is covered for fire and theft. I don't think you can turn it on & off by the weekend, though. More like seasonal. And since you have a trailer rather than a motorhome, there is no motor vehicle liability coverage anyway, so I don't think you would save much.

Gary,
Thanks for that.  I just looked at GS website re: insurance and you can turn it on or off monthly only.  Since I never use it in winter it might be a saving as long as comp stays in effect. 

If you have a lien, then most companies want you to keep a coverage in force year round.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom