RVers “had” by Nomad Internet’s mobile internet scheme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NY_Dutch

"Social media 'influencers,' YouTube channelers, even seemingly trusted internet 'experts' spent a lot of time touting Nomad Internet. The company promises to deliver high speed wireless internet service with no limits, no throttling, to RVers and other customers. And with the promise of 'no contract, no cancellation fees,' apparently thousands have signed up for the ride. Sadly, like a carnival ride, the end can come very quickly, and has for many who say they’ve 'been had by Nomad.' Now the Texas Attorney General agrees—and on April 14, a judge slapped a restraining order on the company and its owners."

There are millions of idiots surfing the web that are dumb enough to believe their claims. Anyone with one ounce of brains knows that if it is too good to be true then it is not true and they would not sign up. I would bet that if I ran some ads on the Internet claiming that I had a system that would allow you to print money at home legally it would be overrun by idiots thinking they had found the holy grail.

There are millions of idiots surfing the web that are dumb enough to believe their claims. Anyone with one ounce of brains knows that if it is too good to be true then it is not true and they would not sign up. I would bet that if I ran some ads on the Internet claiming that I had a system that would allow you to print money at home legally it would be overrun by idiots thinking they had found the holy grail.
"Hi, I'm Brian and I invented tactical sunglasses that Navy Seals even wear and will enable you to see an eighteen wheeler coming at you in your lane" Were it not for idiots Brian would have to get a job.

T-Mobile has a 50 dollar a month plan (Plus taxes and feed should be about 70) and rather decent coverage.. Not sure of the limits.... And do not think it's "RV friendly" at this time.
T-Mobile also has "hotspots" (not the "home Internet plan) can be as little as 10 bucks for existing T-Mobile phone users.. and of course I use my phone when I'm out and about.

I opted for Visible's plan. It was cheaper. Is it perfect? I'm sure it's not. I haven't used it away from my home park yet. I'm in a terrible area for ANY cellphone reception. I do get buffering and the internet is slow at times. But honestly, it's no worse than I got with Sprint and it's a lot less than what I was getting after T-Mobile sucked up Sprint and informed me my "equipment" was no longer usable.

T-Mobile has a 50 dollar a month plan (Plus taxes and feed should be about 70) and rather decent coverage.. Not sure of the limits.... And do not think it's "RV friendly" at this time.
T-Mobile also has "hotspots" (not the "home Internet plan) can be as little as 10 bucks for existing T-Mobile phone users.. and of course I use my phone when I'm out and about.
T-Mobile has an over 55 plan for $50 with a true unlimited no slowdowns 50gb hotspot on each phone. Comes with free Netflix so if you use it deduct $15.49/mo from that $50. The best part is no extra fees or taxes. A year ago I got the plan for $40 which included 2 new iPhone 13s for free. It has worked great in the RV. Since T-Mobile and Sprint merged to become the 2nd largest carrier they have very good 5G coverage.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago RVMiles did a 20 minute video that I thought was a pretty through round up on the Nomad Internet situation. Jason sticks to the facts and does a good presentation.

I'm considering the T-Mobile plan. They allow you to try it. If it doesn't work they'll buy back the equipment.

T-Mobile has an over 55 plan for $50 with a true unlimited no slowdowns 50gb hotspot on each phone. Comes with free Netflix so if you use it deduct $15.49/mo from that $50. The best part is no extra fees or taxes. A year ago I got the plan for $40 which included 2 new iPhone 13s for free. It has worked great in the RV. Since T-Mobile and Sprint merged to become the 2nd largest carrier they have very good 5G coverage.
I have the 55+ plan and with fees and taxes it is 73/month
I'm very happy with T-mobile.

Some dude thought up selling rocks and calling them "your pet" and made a zillion dollars. A fool and his money are soon parted.
I went to high school with Gary Dahl. He and a couple of the guys he hung around with dreamed up that idea in a bar in Los Gatos, California one night. Made a pretty good chunk of change off the rocks and opened his own bar (Carrie Nations) in Los Gatos.

I have the 55+ plan and with fees and taxes it is 73/month
I'm very happy with T-mobile.
For new customers the taxes and fees are included in the $50 price. The only reason I choose T-Mobile was coverage in the RV. Most carriers have data limits or reduced speed over a data limit. T-Mobile does not. The phones have unlimited data. With 2 phones we have 100gb of hotspot for our iPads. Minus $15.49 for Netflix would be $42.25 per line for the phone and hotspot. We have great reception and zero problems.
1682948661529.png

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago RVMiles did a 20 minute video that I thought was a pretty through round up on the Nomad Internet situation. Jason sticks to the facts and does a good presentation.

I've recently switched internet providers to T-Mobile Home Internet which is 5G. My Ooma Telo is connected to the gateway via ethernet cable. I can't call out, I get the tone and am able to dial but it never goes through. Trying to call in it doesn't ring, I can leave a message but then can't listen to it on the base. Is anyone else using this yet, or does anyone have any suggestions?

and now i'm using lte for home internet.
I recently switched from AT&T to T-Mobile and discovered T-Mobile Internet. I was siked that maybe now I could dump xfinity cable. I ordered the T-Mobile box set it up and started receiving around 300 Mbps wifi. A bit slower than my 1 gig xfinity wifi (never over 800) but adequate for most anything. But after 3 days I’ve run into an issue that might tank the switch. On day three my 3 comcast emails quit syncing. No emails in or out. Comcast email worked fine if I logged on to comcast connect internet and accessed email online but it wouldn’t download to my iPhone or PC (outlook 365). Contacted comcast tech support who walked me thru several possible setup fixes. Nothing worked so as a final attempt the tech wanted to refresh my internet service. To do this I had to reconnect my comcast cable modem, this fixed the problem. Queried the tech but he couldn’t explain why t-mobile wifi would inhibit syncing of comcast email. Any thought on how to fix this. I would hate this to prevent me from dumping Comcast.

For new customers the taxes and fees are included in the $50 price. The only reason I choose T-Mobile was coverage in the RV. Most carriers have data limits or reduced speed over a data limit. T-Mobile does not. The phones have unlimited data. With 2 phones we have 100gb of hotspot for our iPads. Minus $15.49 for Netflix would be $42.25 per line for the phone and hotspot. We have great reception and zero problems.
View attachment 164083
Back in June I tried to sign up for this plan to serve an outbuilding at my sister's house. Her property is rural and the nearest T-Mobile store is over 50 miles away so I signed up via the Internet. It was one of the worst experiences I've had with an ISP.

The first router they sent had a part rattling around inside it. I called the supplied help line and was told to plug it in and see if it worked before they would send a replacement. It did until halfway through the setup process when it died with the customer representative still on the phone.

The second unit had a jammed SIM cover so I wasn't able to insert the SIM. Another call and I told them I wanted to just forget the whole thing. I got (2) return authorizations, packed the equipment up and sent them back via UPS.

In August I was notified my debit card was being charged $50 for service. You have to agree to auto-renew using a debit card to get the $50 rate. Another call, after close to an hour on the phone and being escalated two supervisory levels T-Mobile acknowledged both routers had been returned to their warehouse and the account was closed. Apparently I had used 6k of data during the aborted activation with the first unit, which included downloading an app to my cellphone so it could take a GPS stamped picture in the direction of their tower. They acknowledged the account was activated by mistake and they would be happy to refund the $50.

But since the account was closed I was no longer a current T-Mobile customer so the only way they could refund the money would be to issue a Visa gift card which is supposed to arrive sometime in October. I have received their final bill with a net balance of $0 but no sign yet of the card.

Given the need for a GPS stamped photo when the router is activated I doubt it can be used away from the sign-up location.

Just before I signed up with T-Mobile I received an email from Verizon that said a limited number of Home Internet packages were available in my sister's area (I had signed up to be on their waiting list a couple of months earlier). Apparently they sold out fast, when I replied the next day they said they had reached capacity in that area but they would be happy to put me on their waiting list.

Back in June I tried to sign up for this plan to serve an outbuilding at my sister's house. Her property is rural and the nearest T-Mobile store is over 50 miles away so I signed up via the Internet. It was one of the worst experiences I've had with an ISP.

The first router they sent had a part rattling around inside it. I called the supplied help line and was told to plug it in and see if it worked before they would send a replacement. It did until halfway through the setup process when it died with the customer representative still on the phone.

The second unit had a jammed SIM cover so I wasn't able to insert the SIM. Another call and I told them I wanted to just forget the whole thing. I got (2) return authorizations, packed the equipment up and sent them back via UPS.

In August I was notified my debit card was being charged $50 for service. You have to agree to auto-renew using a debit card to get the $50 rate. Another call, after close to an hour on the phone and being escalated two supervisory levels T-Mobile acknowledged both routers had been returned to their warehouse and the account was closed. Apparently I had used 6k of data during the aborted activation with the first unit, which included downloading an app to my cellphone so it could take a GPS stamped picture in the direction of their tower. They acknowledged the account was activated by mistake and they would be happy to refund the $50.

But since the account was closed I was no longer a current T-Mobile customer so the only way they could refund the money would be to issue a Visa gift card which is supposed to arrive sometime in October. I have received their final bill with a net balance of $0 but no sign yet of the card.

Given the need for a GPS stamped photo when the router is activated I doubt it can be used away from the sign-up location.

Just before I signed up with T-Mobile I received an email from Verizon that said a limited number of Home Internet packages were available in my sister's area (I had signed up to be on their waiting list a couple of months earlier). Apparently they sold out fast, when I replied the next day they said they had reached capacity in that area but they would be happy to put me on their waiting list.
A friend of mine cancelled T-Mobile home Internet and is still waiting for a refund that he is due. The idea that they can't just refund the money because your account is closed is ridiculous. I see a class action suit in their future.

I have a mobile 5G hotspot from Verizon which has worked well for us on trips and as a backup at home. It has a 50GB limit before it slows down but we have never come close to hitting the limit and even at slower speeds it would be useful.

I guess we're lucky. Although we are not wealthy, when we eventually get ourselves set up in the RV park in AZ I will pay pretty much whatever it is going to cost to get satellite TV and whatever internet connection is the best. We're paying almost $200/month now for the Dish TV/Internet package at our house here. If it doesn't come to much more than that for the RV I'll call it even.

This will be the next shoe to drop.

I've lost count of the u-tubers that have bragged about signing up for T-mobile or Verizon home internet service at an introductory rate, then take the hotspot out on their rv and use it mobile. Sooner or later the networks will geolock those home routers and the users will get a rude awakening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom