RVing in Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Alex,

That's just a converter to provide 12V DC from 240V mains. It will power your DC lights and maybe charge your batteries, but it won't do anything for any 110V appliances in the coach. What Ian described is a transformer to convert 240V mains to 110V in order to power all the 110V needs of the coach.

Yes, I understood. I'm just trying to resolve the frequency problem.
It seems to me that the most appliances can run both 50 and 60 Hz, but what I'm worrying about is the "wiring getting hot".

Tom said:
Carson,

That might be an expensive and noisy solution.

For sure noisy. No one camp will allow you to use it.

I see nothing in the ad for that converter that addresses frequency change. The only things likely to get "hot" (maybe wamr) at different frequencies wouldl be transformers, and that usually happens in the opposite direction (running 50Hz transformers at 60Hz). In any event, since the output of the converter is 12V DC and it will be used to power 12V DC lamps and for battery charging, frequency doesn't enter into the equation.

I guess I need to understand what it is you're trying to do.

Tom and Alex, (this is not thread drift but),I have an innocent question:

What causes an electric motor or generator to be so noisy? There is only one moving part, compared to a gasoline or diesel generator. Is it the fan blades?

Best answer gets a prize.

carson FL

Tom, I want to voice my exception to your statement:
  "The only things likely to get "hot" (maybe wamr) at different frequencies wouldl be transformers, and that usually happens in the opposite direction (running 50Hz transformers at 60Hz)"
Current flow increases with a lower frequency. Imagine going to DC (0 Hz), soon there will be smoke. The reactance of the inductive AC circuitry increases with frequency.
Increase the frequency to a high level, no, or little current will flow.

That is why the wiring got hot.

carson FL

Truth is Carson, I couldn't remember which way round it was and just picked one, knowing I had 50% chance of being right  :-[  (Actually, I intended to check it out and, if necessary, correct it later.) My point was that it has no relevance to what he's proposing. A 240V/50Hz/12V converter/charger running on 240V/50 Hz is doing exactly what it's designed to do and so shouldn't overheat.

Carson,

I lost a good part of my hearing in the 60's when a company thought they were doing us a favor by building us a nice, new, clean  shop inside a huge clean room. That clean room primarily housed lots of motor/generator sets in addition to just motors. Suffice to say they weren't silent and I have the "scars" to prove it 40 years later.

Quite right, Tom, no problem with that Euro converter, all is ok.
  Running US appliances (with motors) is where the problem comes in, as mentioned in Ian H's post. 60 Hz is a must or you are playing with fire.

In my youth I too was exposed to too much noise. My hearing is still very good, but hav lived with tinnitus now for 50 years. One gets used to it. Just makes you a little grumpier once in a while. :)

One HP equals 746 W, (not-with-standing losses) how big a motor do you need to run the average RV with a moto/gen system? Just kidding, don't want to make work for you.

carson FL

Tom said:
I guess I need to understand what it is you're trying to do.

I want to ship my RV to EU and need everything works there without "playing with the fire" ...
One of the ways is to change everything (means remodel your RV), but I'm sure in the XXI century should be an easy way. I'm trying to find it )

I want to ship my RV to EU and need everything works there without "playing with the fire" ...

Alex, a simple converter such as the one you were considering isn't going to do what you need. Ian's use of an 8KVA 240/110V transformer is a good and relatively inexpensive option, but there are issues, as Ian mentioned. However, the only show stopper is that TVs won't work on the UK PAL TV system, irrespective of the voltage, so you'll need to replace those if you want to watch TV over there.

You could Google &/or search on eBay for a transformer. You could also Google for Peterborough (where Ian's transformer came from) and look at the directory of companies to see if you can find the transformer supplier.

Hopefully, I an can give us the name of the transformer manufacturer/supplier and the part number so we can check it out.

You'll still need to figure out how to either wire the transformer into the coach permanently or be able to plug the coach into the transformer.

We have rented a camper in Europe three times: in 1988 and 1992, both times a Volkswagen Westfalia. We were happy we had something that small because often the roads are so narrow and in particular you'll find yourself suddenly driving through a small town with super-narrow streets and you have to fold in you mirrors to make the turns needed to get out.  However last year I refused to have anything that did not have a toilet so we rented a larger van through www.Ideamerge.com and were very happy with their service. This company rents campers in various countries in Europe but reports that renting in Germany is the cheapest. I did more research and found that to be true. They also rent larger units than the van which we had, but our van was the largest size that was still allowed to park in a car spot. Anything bigger (longer or higher) would need to find a different place to park, something that is very difficult in Europe even with a van!

In 2008 we would like to go to Australia and rent a motorhome there and maybe three years after that (health permitting!) we would love to drive from Ecuador to Tierra del Fuego.

Has anyone on the Forum driven all the way down in South America?

Elly

I've seen a few messages on South America. Try using the Advanced search link above.

We have never drove to South America.  However, there is no way I would drive anything though Columbia.  While we were in Equador we talked to the Equador boarder guards that told us they actually see Columbia bandits in action within view of the border crossing.

Im not sure where in Europe the OP is thinking of shipping his RV, but here are some ideas for the UK :-

230 to 110 Transformer -http://www.airlinktransformers.com/american-motor-home.asp - we got the 5600 model

We decided to leave everything in the RV at 110V - that's what the RV was built with and I see no reason to change things. Kettles etc are just as cheap to buy and ship from the US (though there are even suppliers of 110V stuff in the UK now).

Even if you add 230V outlets you will still have the main 110V appliances (microwave, washer, air con, etc).

Our RV has an Energy Management System which controls all the electrics - I'm not sure it would work properly if you had two feeds coming into the RV (one for 110V items and the other for your 230V outlets).

As I said, why complicate things when all you need do is use the transformer to bring the voltage down to 110V - its nice and easy to work out what will work too as (roughly) you get just over double the amps off a UK supply (UK 16amp will give you a supply of just over 32amps in the RV at 110V).

Yes, there is the Hz issue but nobody has found a way to solve it (that Im aware of). All that happens is your clocks run funny (you set your microwave to cook but use your watch for the timings) and some people have a few issues with the washer/dryer (control board) but nothing that resetting the dial control doesn't solve. It's certainly easier and cheaper than buying/fitting 230V microwaves etc.

Regarding the TVs - take a look at www.110220volts.com where you will find dual voltage and multi-frequency TVs etc. This is a good way to solve the TV problem (though Ive just been told you can use a Freeview box http://www.freeview.co.uk thru the AV socket and UK TV will work on NTSC TV but I havent tried this).

Good Luck
Paul

Thank you UK-RV.
I agree with you - there is no reason to complicate. And actually what I wanted to do was just to buy the transformer as you said. Until I read IanH post : "... the most worrying thing was the wiring getting hot ..."
But it seems that there is realy no way to solve the Hz problem.

I stumbled across this old topic and ...

... from one Brit to another - sell the darned boat my friend!

wondered if Terry might reconsider his advice after this brief experience.

OTOH seeing their latest Prevost was very tempting. See photos here.

Right ladies and gentle folk, can anyone offer me advice on travelling through europe

I have looked at crossing the channel and landing somewhere in france,

ive thought about calling at "Camping les Chaumes" Find It Here and stopping a day

I then fancied moving on to Camp Alpin near to Insbrook This One couple of days at this spot

And then onto Jeslo International Camping Site in Italy Looks Good

Advise i could do with is
What insurance cover will i need,
Are there any restrictions on RV's in these countries ?
What breakdown services can i get for an RV in europe, if it is terminal how do i get it back to the UK ? A Class 12m (35ft)
What fuel cards can i use in europe (ie BP, etc)
What LPG connection do i need for these countries
What   are the roads like ie "A" "E" "N" Type

Thanks in anticipation

Mick

Hi Tom
Thought i might have a go at answering some of your questions  from my fairly limited three years plus of Euro/UK  RV ing.
I started off with a new Hurricane 30Q which i thought was all i would ever need as compared to normal Euro Motor homes it seemed so big and plush but once the "Big  A Bug " takes hold that all goes out of the window and i am now the proud owner of a Mocha Java Fleetwood Terra LX which i bought new from a dealer in Cornwall  called Itchy Feet who are a great set up and who incidentally will hire you something like a Monaco, Tiffin or Fleetwood to travel Europe in .
Quite a few Brits do directly import from the USA when the exchange rates are better i guess but after looking in to it as the savings are great on paper.I decided against as when little things like a duff front jack need replacing a dealer has a lot more clout especially when many of your manufacturers are on short time etc etc . also  when importing RVs it is quite common apparently for things to go missing and damage to vehicles is quite common also this can soon take the shine of any savings ,but it is "horses for courses"
I have travelled with the RV so far to Spain, Italy,France,and Belgium plus Scotland and other parts of the UK , and it is no problem driving a "left hooker" in Europe as it is the right side  although it is not a problem in the UK either. The size of the pitches can be a problem especially in Europe but RV Er's talk and the good sites soon get publicised and a great couple called Mo and Dick publish a Big Pitch Guide for Europe and the UK.

The cost of Fuel is obviously a problem it has come down but petrol is still around 90p a LITRE and starting to rise again  with diesel 10p more. I have a Workhorse  8.1 with an LPG  gas conversion  which helps costs a lot as LPG cost about half the price of petrol  sorry Gas although the conversion is about ?3000  so you have to do a few miles to get your money back.

Anyway that is a few answers to be going on with no doubt  some of my countrymen  may not agree with my views but it is how i see it.

Best Regards to all of you in the Big Country it is great reading your forum you have told me a lot.

Suffolk Boy

Thanks Suffolk Boy. Appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience. My "RVing" experience in the UK is limited to my parents dragging their small caravan all over the country, and later to me towing a borrowed trailer loaded with a large tent and all the trappings. Our tent camping trips always got cut short when we were rained out and got tired of slopping around in the mud.

In those days, we couldn't afford to cross the channel, and we could only look in awe at the cars and caravans that bore the obligatory 'GB' plates (they were the ones that crossed the channel).

Any words of wisdom for Mick with his questions? TIA.

castiger said:
Right ladies and gentle folk, can anyone offer me advice on travelling through europe

I have looked at crossing the channel and landing somewhere in france,

ive thought about calling at "Camping les Chaumes" Find It Here and stopping a day

I then fancied moving on to Camp Alpin near to Insbrook This One couple of days at this spot

And then onto Jeslo International Camping Site in Italy Looks Good

Advise i could do with is
What insurance cover will i need,
Are there any restrictions on RV's in these countries ?
What breakdown services can i get for an RV in europe, if it is terminal how do i get it back to the UK ? A Class 12m (35ft)
What fuel cards can i use in europe (ie BP, etc)
What LPG connection do i need for these countries
What   are the roads like ie "A" "E" "N" Type

Thanks in anticipation

Mick

Hi Mick
If you post you're question on  http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/  and introduce yourself I'm sure you'll get plenty of info, loads of experienced RVers use that site.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom