Sacramento, Yosemite, Tetons, Yellowstone, MT, WY, & CO with the Stocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we were in Yellowstone NP, we did not have Internet or access to WiFi, or we would have had better luck meeting up with everyone.  However, we hope to have Internet continuously from this point on.

May 25, 2011 Day 18 Yellowstone NP?Fishing Bridge RV Park

As we drove through the Grand Tetons, there were bison and snow everywhere.  It was as if we were driving through a tunnel.  Snow walls on each side of the road were between 4 and 10 feet tall. 
We quickly got settled in the RV park and went looking for wildlife and where our cell phones might work.  It was already mid-afternoon, and I was excited to start exploring.  I asked at the Fishing Bridge General Store, and was told to try Mary Bay (sic).  We parked and waited for a wildlife show to begin.
A pickup truck came by and the driver told us there was a grizzly just a little ways down the road.  He was on a hill, completely unaware of us (Picture 1).  I knew that bears were omnivores and loved blueberries, but I didn?t know they ate grass.  Sometimes he would lift his head, and grass would be sticking out of the sides of his mouth.
As we watched the bear eat, two cobalt blue mountain bluebirds landed on what will be a meadow when it dries out (Picture 2).  I had never seen mountain bluebirds before, and they were beautiful!
As we drove down the road, looking out at the ice that covered Yellowstone Lake, (Picture 3) I saw a raptor in a tree. Dean is getting really good at making U-turns.  We only got a few seconds to see him and his friend before they flew off.  I am not sure, but I think he may have been a juvenile osprey. (Picture 4)
Around the next curve, I spotted brown/black lump on the ice.  As we got closer, I could see a cute, plump river otter grooming himself.  He?d groom for about 5 minutes and then dive into the icy water for a couple minutes, and then repeat the process. (Picture 5)  I could have stayed and watched him all day, but we had a prime viewing spot and I didn?t want to be greedy when others wanted to enjoy seeing him, too.
As  we slowed to turn around at a blockade because of a snow avalanche, I noticed movement in the rocks.  There were small, cute furry animals playfully darting in and out of the rocks.  I hadn?t seen marmots before, but they were very entertaining. (Picture 6)
On our way back to the RV park we saw a bison (Picture 7) and Canadian geese (Picture 8).
        What an exciting beginning to our Yellowstone adventure!

Stayed at Fishing Bridge RV  Park inside Yellowstone NP?50 amps, no cell phone reception, FHU,  nice people, $42.16

Weather:  Cold, high was in the high 30?s, but no rain or snow falling today.  There are big puddles everywhere. 

Attachments

• IMG_5437.jpg
    IMG_5437.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5447.jpg
    IMG_5447.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5458.jpg
    IMG_5458.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5465.jpg
    IMG_5465.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5469.jpg
    IMG_5469.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5475.jpg
    IMG_5475.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 33
What a neat day with the wildlife.  Good photos too.

ArdraF

May 26, 2011 Day 19 Yellowstone NP?Fishing Bridge RV Park

We didn?t get to enjoy Jackson and the Grand Tetons yesterday as we rushed to our reservation at Fishing Bridge, so we decided to make the 140 mile round-trip drive today.  It was cold and sometimes lightly snowing, other times a frozen mist fell, and sometimes corn kernel-sized hail pelted our windshield. 
In the Tetons, we saw a baby moose casually eating (Picture 1).  I couldn?t see his mother anywhere, and I wondered if he had was a yearling whose mother had evicted him upon the arrival of a new baby.  We also saw many bison, and about 15 elk from their least flattering side (Picture 2).    I hope to see elk faces sometime while we?re here.  Do you see the one elk?s face in the middle?
Today was The Day of the Derrier.  Four white pelicans casually floated on the icy lake. (Picture 3)  We saw a lot of animals? tails today.  Even though we waited about 10 minutes, this picture was the only time we saw a pelican?s face?and Dean only had a second to snap the picture before the pelican turned around again..
When we arrived in Jackson at about noon, we were really hungry.  We arose at 6 AM, and hadn?t eaten.  We found The Steakhouse, and I would highly recommend it for lunch.  I had the soup and salad bar for $7, and Dean had a juicy burger.  The salad bar had a wide variety of fresh foods to choose from, cut into a nice small size, as well as good chili and clam chowder.  However, at night the dinners start at $18 for the bar-b-q chicken dinner to $29 for the buffalo New York strip steak.  The d?cor was very interesting, and the service was wonderful?they even refilled Dean?s coffee in a cup with a lid so he could have some to go with him.
We really enjoyed the National Museum of Wildlife Art ($10).  Bronze buffalo (Picture 4) and a deer greeted us (Picture 5).  This oil painting of a bear was just outstanding (Picture 6).  These ducks were so realistic (Picture 7).  Even Dean, who is not an art gallery aficionado, said it was very good?which is indeed high praise.  I thought it was great and would say this is a must see if you?re anywhere close.  It is right across the street from the Elk Refuge, just a couple of minutes from the center of town.

Stayed at Fishing Bridge RV  Park?50 amps, no cell phone reception, FHU,  nice people, $42.16

Weather:  Much like yesterday, overcast all day with some light snow.

Attachments

• IMG_5488.jpg
    IMG_5488.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5499.jpg
    IMG_5499.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5494.jpg
    IMG_5494.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5498.jpg
    IMG_5498.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5497.jpg
    IMG_5497.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5495.jpg
    IMG_5495.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5496.jpg
    IMG_5496.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 28
Dean & Linda Stock said:
May 25, 2011 Day 18 Yellowstone NP?Fishing Bridge RV Park
...As we drove down the road, looking out at the ice that covered Yellowstone Lake, (Picture 3) I saw a raptor in a tree. Dean is getting really good at making U-turns.  We only got a few seconds to see him and his friend before they flew off.  I am not sure, but I think he may have been a juvenile osprey. (Picture 4)...
I think that is a hawk.  Maybe Broad-Tailed or Red...

May 27 Day 20 Yellowstone NP?Fishing Bridge RV Park
We woke up to snow falling, but we weren?t going to let that deter us.  Seeing Old Faithful erupt is one of my fond memories, so it was first on my list of places I most wanted to see.  The Beartooth Highway is closed, as is the road to the East Entrance, and the road between Canyon and Roosevelt, so several places I wanted to go are inaccessible.

We stopped at the Old Faithful Education Center first.  Rangers gave us excellent information and answered our questions. We viewed an eruption through the window as we first entered.  However, we couldn?t see it well because the snow made it so cloud-like.  We liked the warm and dry of the EC, so we stayed and saw the 3 short films and excellent exhibits about the geology of the area, geysers, and mud pots.  They had very 8 interesting pamphlets about the trails, animals, and areas within  YS available for 50 cents each.

It was past lunchtime, and I had been told by a friend that we could see OF erupt at the cafeteria in the lodge, so we headed there.  The snow had lessened somewhat, but seeing OF erupt from the cafeteria still wasn?t the same as being up there by it. The cafeteria had a very limited, expensive menu. 

We waited for the next eruption, and the closer it got to eruption time, the more snow was falling.  We braved it anyway.  So, with the wind blowing the snow in our faces, we saw OF erupt. 

At this point we were cold and wet, despite having on my Nanook coat and gloves, so we headed home.  Maybe tomorrow we will see the sun! 

Stayed at Fishing Bridge RV  Park?50 amps, no cell phone reception, FHU,  nice people, $42.16

Attachments

• IMG_5513.jpg
    IMG_5513.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5518.jpg
    IMG_5518.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 23
AllegroRV [KodiakRV] said:
I think that is a hawk.  Maybe Broad-Tailed or Red...

You are probably right--maybe broad-tailed.  I know red-tails are frequently found here, but there wasn't any reddish hue anywhere--I checked shoulders and tail, but if he's a juvenile, all bets are off.  Juveniles almost always fool me.

He has a white chest, which made me think osprey.  Why don't these birds ever match their pictures in my bird books????

Not an osprey. Definitely a buteo which I guess is what you're all meaning by broad-tail? Red-tails are also buteos. My guess is an immature Swainson's.

Wendy

Dean & Linda,

Wish you had stopped at the Yellowstone Park Store at Old Faithful. We probably were working there as well as Bill Whetstone! Would have been nice to meet you. if you are still in the area, stop by. We work tomorrow and have Sunday and Monday off. Bill will be off on Saturday and Sunday.

Sorry I wasn't clear on the bird pictures. Linda's is definitely not an osprey but Christi's is. I love big birds, so much easier to identify than the LBBs.

Wendy

skyking4ar2 said:
we're still waffling on the coyote/wolf picture for the same reason...

Coyote and wolf are easy. Wolves are much bigger than coyotes and are more timid than coyotes. Coyotes tails are usual down and they tend to shades of brown.

Isn't field identification fun?

Wendy

Here's the best picture we got - we think we see brown, he was digging in the snow for critters, and a hundred people were standing around watching...we leave this in the hands of a jury of our peers...note the two small ducks in the lower left...

Attachments

• DSC_0060 M R Ducks forum.jpg
    DSC_0060 M R Ducks forum.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 34
Mike says wolf. I say coyote. So there you have it, the definitive answer :)

Wendy

Jim Dick said:
Dean & Linda,

Wish you had stopped at the Yellowstone Park Store at Old Faithful. We probably were working there as well as Bill Whetstone! Would have been nice to meet you. if you are still in the area, stop by. We work tomorrow and have Sunday and Monday off. Bill will be off on Saturday and Sunday.

We did go in once, and glanced in another day.  We didn't have internet, so we didn't know anyone else was there.  We would have loved to meet you.  I have read and heard of you so often, it would have been an honor.

Wendy said:
Not an osprey. Definitely a buteo which I guess is what you're all meaning by broad-tail? Red-tails are also buteos. My guess is an immature Swainson's.

Wendy

This shows how little I know.  Now I have to look up buteo, and my bird book is out in the Jeep.  We have had router problems and no Internet or at best, weak WiFi.  Today, June 4, we have good WiFi and I'm going to get everything posted, even if I stay up all night.  Anyway, we got pics of what I think was a red-tail being courted today.  I hope I'm right.  Look and let me know.

May 28
It is snowing this morning AGAIN!  This is getting old.

We headed for the Hayden Valley, a bonanza spot for wildlife.  This bison was totally blaze? about the snow that was falling. (Picture 1) We encountered our first ?bison jam?.  (Picture 2) They kept us stopped for several minutes as they meandered about the highway.  There was a grizzly in the trees, but we didn?t see him as there was no place to stop, and all the parking was taken.  We  enjoyed both the Upper (Picture 3) and Lower Falls of the Yosemite River.  As we walked the boardwalk toward Emerald Pond, which supposedly looks green when the sun is out, we encountered this friendly  rabbit who was very acclimated to people. (Picture 4)  We smelled the hydrogen sulfide (rotten eggs) as we approached the Mud Volcano  & Sulphur Caldron.  I was fascinated to learn that some bacteria love the heat of geysers and consume some of the gases, converting them into sulfuric acid.  They form a mat (Picture 5).

The sun finally came out about 1:00, there were a few patches of blue sky, and we rejoiced at our good fortune.  I couldn?t get to the Artists Paintpots, but the Lower Geyser Basin and the Fountain Paint Pot, was spectacular.  (Picture 6)  I was surprised to see bison dung and robins right by those hot mudpots. (Picture 7)  They must know just how close they can get.

Attachments

• IMG_5525.jpg
    IMG_5525.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5537.jpg
    IMG_5537.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5551.jpg
    IMG_5551.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5591.jpg
    IMG_5591.jpg