Searching for our first RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swamper34

We have been searching for our first RV for a couple of months now.  We have looked at both used and new units, spoke with several sales persons along with visiting a number of dealerships.  As of today we are no closer to purchasing an RV as we were the day we began.  This model, that model, it all seems so confusing LOL.  Can anyone give me some suggestions (new vs. used / models)  We are looking at a 2016 Bullet 248 RBS, 2019 coachmen legacy edition 243 rbs and Surveyor Legend models.  The more I research the scarier it seams to get, kind of like googling a runny nose only to read that you have a rare and UN-curable disease LOL.
Thanks in advance.

Most people here recommend buying used since RVs depreciate like a rock and you don't want a factory warranty, they are pretty worthless. About 3 or 4 years old is the sweet spot. I recommend not spending over $20,000 on your first RV since newby don't really know what they want until they have been camping a while. After a year you can trade it in on what you really want.

Motorized or a towed RV depends on your use. I would suggest rented a class C for a few days and go camping locally which will answer a lot of your questions.

Gently used and well cared for.

There is no way to tell you what model will be the right fit for you.  How much sleeping spaces?  Kitchen needs?  Shower big enough?

Can you tow it with your current vehicle?  Bring the numbers here and people are happy to help.

We like the 2016 Bullet 248, have not heard much about the Keystone line.  I have read that most dealerships offer some type of warranty but they lack on following through. 

In my opinion,a warranty is a waste of money.  Save the money you would spend on it and put it in the bank for anything that needs fixing in the future.

Hiring an independent RV inspector is a good idea.  They know what to look for.

Isaac-1 said:
My thought is an older higher quality rv beats a new entry level model
I agree completely!  Quality lasts.

As you look at the different models (or from your memory) make two lists:  Our camper MUST HAVE and our camper CAN NOT HAVE.  The list includes stuff like bunk house?  Walk around bed?  Access to bathroom directly from bedroom?  Large (Island or Peninsula) kitchen? Bath and fridge accessible with slides  in (when traveling)?  Second A/C?  Seat in the shower?  Dinette or table?

Now, you can easily reject many floor plans that do not meet the requirements.  Over time, the perfect floor plan FOR YOU will become obvious.  Then, be patient and look for a used one that has that floor plan.

We did like the floor plan of the Bullet, especially the "shower" and "rear kitchen". 

Seilerbird hit it on the head.

Be aware that the back end of a trailer bounces more than the front end. A rear kitchen tends to break dishes.

A rear kitchen does indeed require a bit more care in stowing things.  I also highly recommend adding shock absorbers to the suspension if it doesn't already have them (few trailers come from the factory with shocks).

Having recently been in the same position, my suggestion would be to slow down. Don't be in a hurry to purchase if you're not in an emergency situation. Spend a LOT of time walking through RVs, not just with a dealer, but at a show where you can walk through at your own pace. Sit at the dinette. Sit on the toilet (yes, really), open cupboards. Pretend you live in it.

What you think you need or want now might change drastically. We had certain ideas of what would work for us, but after walking through a LOT of RVs, those ideas evolved (some of them quickly). With dedication, I suspect you're going to have a very clear idea of what's right for you after you've spent a LOT of time in rigs of all sizes and layouts.  Our initial thought was a 26ft Class C. Now we're at a 35-36ft Class A, and would have seriously regretted what we first thought we wanted.

Once you've narrowed it down to 2 or 3, that's the time (IMO) to start looking at used models in those sizes and floorplans. 

We looked off and on for several years before settling on a new 2019 Jayco 23MRB.  We were very hesitant because we did not know if we would like camping again.  We tent camped many years ago and remembering  some of the "nice" bathroom facilities at the campgrounds we stayed at made us decide on a travel trailer with our own bathroom.  I know buying a used one is more cost effective but I like new things that nobody else has used (bed, shower, toilet).  It is about 28' long from the hitch to the rear and has about 25' of living space.  What sold us on the model is the Murphy bed. It is a couch during the day and easily folds down with a queen size mattress on top.  Very easy, simple and comfortable. The open concept makes the living space very spacious and comfortable.  It also has a rear bath that is fairly large and has a lot of storage.  I pull it with a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 with no problem.  Jayco gives a two year warranty.  Check one out and good luck.

First don't listen to salesmen, they'll all lie and tell you anything they can to sell you something.

When looking at trailers ignore the 'dry weight' because it will never be that light. Go by the GVWR (max weight) of the trailer and listen to rtandc's advice about not getting something over 80% of the trucks max tow weight. Yes you can go to it's max, but how many things do you know of that perform their best when maxed out? Not many. If you have a 1/2 ton truck you'll probably need a smaller camper than you think. They list high towing limits but half tons often run out of payload before reaching max tow limits.

If you want lots of sleeping space with a small trailer length look at the 'hybrid' trailers like the Coachmen 23 TQX. The beds tilt out, sort of like the beds on a popup camper, giving you lots of bed space with a shorter camper.

Two main points whether you go new or used is floor plan, especially if you're thinking fulltime, and being sure you have adequate truck if you're thinking trailer. It's amazing how "small" they can get once you are actually living in it.

Back
Top Bottom