Seeking Internet Solutions or suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gigguy

I travel a lot with my kids. They are using up my phone data watching their iPads. What are some suggestions or solutions for getting internet while on the road? I did check out the Winegard ConnecT RV WiFi Extender that finds wifi signals around the area I am parked and brings them in stronger, but that's all I have found. I am familiar with Mc'ds and other coffee places that offer free internet. I guess I am wondering more about being parked at truck stops where I don't have to pay a fee or rest areas that are a bit remote. Thanks for any suggestions :)

We don't use "free wifi", but maybe someone can help with that. Use the Search button above to look for prior discussions on Mobley. It's a device designed to plug into the diagnostic port of your vehicle and requires a low cost plan with AT&T. Works great for our grandkids who have multiple online devices.

Yesterday on my Other Chromebook I hooked to a Free Wi-Fi (Senica SC City Wi-Fi) and .... had to power wash my Chrome book (it's back in full operation now) suddenly it started restarting, restarting, restarting, restarting,  Thankfully I do not store stuff on the Chromebooks so it restored easily.  (I copy all storage to a Windows Box)

For Internet on the road there are several "Unlimited" plans.  most of them give you 25-50 Gigs before they start to throttle you on a PHONE and 10-20 gigs of Wi-Fi Hot spot.. fairly secure,, Only problem I've had using mine is that my current phone is a Samsung S-7.. One of several in range of my computer.. For some reason when I tried to connect to teh WRONG S-7, my PSK did not work.... Gee.. Ok, dummy, try the RIGHT one. that worked.

I have an iPad with a Verizon cellular connection. Service is a bit expensive, but with the new unlimited plans it works pretty well. Fast enough that I can have two kids doing youtube videos or whatever, and they also use it to connect their Minecraft worlds together to play together. That doesn't use much data but it keeps them very entertained.

So Verizon is a good, but somewhat expensive option.

We NEVER use public WiFi. Always use our Verizon data or cable (when at home).

An aside to John from Detroit.  You can rename your hotspot so it's different from the stock name from Samsung..

I have been using public WiFi for over 12 years without any problems. I don't understand the problem. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with public WiFis. I don't understand why people are so paranoid about them. I would worry more about a meteor hitting me than getting hacked on WiFi. But then again I use a Chromebook which makes it extremely difficult for anyone to get in in the first place.

Granted it is not highly likely, but public wireless access points are open and unencrypted.  The 20-something sitting across the room from you at Starbucks, McDonald's, etc could be sniffing all your IP packets and collecting any logon credentials you might be entering into your bank's web site, your 401(k) fund's site, etc.

I always advise my clients to get themselves a VPN client and always use it on public networks.  $40 bucks a year for VPN service is easy, cheap protection.

Cheers,

Dan K.

DanKearney said:
Granted it is not highly likely, but public wireless access points are open and unencrypted.  The 20-something sitting across the room from you at Starbucks, McDonald's, etc could be sniffing all your IP packets and collecting any logon credentials you might be entering into your bank's web site, your 401(k) fund's site, etc.
That is too outrageous. Like I said I worry more about a meteor hitting me.

Our public library has Verizon hotspots we check out for a week at a time, works great and it's free!

If your kids are watching videos and you have amazon prime, you can download videos before the trip that they can watch on their ipads without being connected.

Or take away the ipads and replace with books.  ;D

Amazon prime:
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-One-Year-Membership/dp/B00DBYBNEE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=recreationalvehicles-20&linkId=77eafb03117481972b95ae29cfe13915

DanKearney said:

Almost everything these days uses the secure https:// protocol which encrypts the packets end to end, from your computer to the final destination.  There's no way anyone can see what's in those packets, even if they should intercept them.

Even on a wired connection, it's possible for someone to monitor your IP packets anywhere between you and the final destination.  Another reason https:// has become almost universal.

how about picking up a cheap portable dvd player.  you could swing by a redbox and grab a movie of their choice to keep them entertained data free

Back
Top Bottom