Shakey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh come on, it was only a 5.9. We don't even discuss anything less than a 6.5 in California.

It was felt all the way to New Brunswick.  They evacuated a few buildings in Fredericton.  I did not feel a thing in Saint John, and I'm working from my basement, so in pretty close contact to the earth.

A co-worker was on the conference call with folks in Toronto, they freaked.

Felt it here in Kitchener, Ontario too.....not much other than a little wiggle.

Mike

Actually, folks in basements and tunnels do not feel the motion as much as those in above ground buildings.  Underground structures move in time with the shaking.  Surface structures move out of sequence with the motion of the earth and that shakes them to pieces.

The house shakes every time a transport truck drives by, at 1000 miles from the center of a 5.9 quake, I probably felt it and thought it was a truck

I felt it in Hamburg, Pa.  (100 miles west of philly)............

Sitting in arm chair watching TV...., felt slight movement.
Called into another room (Granddaughter and wife) that I felt something.... maybe an "earthquake".
I was pooh poohed.... no way.....
Moments later it is confirmed on TV.

seilerbird said:
Oh come on, it was only a 5.9. We don't even discuss anything less than a 6.5 in California.
Pretty cavalier statement there.  I was in a 5.6 in Taipei a few years ago and it killed over 50 people.

We sure felt it.  We are hosting the campground at Prince William Forest, (Quantico, VA) just a few miles south of D.C.  We were having lunch at the local VFW.  Initially I thought it was the Splindide in our M/H going into the spin cycle......... then it dawned on me that we were not in the MH.  Ruth seemed to know right away.  Cell phones were out for about an hour. 

geodrake said:
Cell phones were out for about an hour.
Now that's interesting.  And quite expected.    Text messages might've worked. 

At several disaster sites cell phones were not working for up to 36 hours after the incident.  Such as the Big Valley Jamboree stage collapse in Camrose, Alberta last year. 

Also note that in a wide area power failure cell phone towers will start dying within 24 hours.  If they even have any batteries that is.

They are reporting that the only system that worked reliably was the blackberry.  Guess it is good Canadian technology. :)

Ed

I'll tell you what Tom, you can keep your weekly/monthly magnitude 6 quakes.  This was the worst one on the east coast in over 100 years, and we have solid ground under us, not that fractured fault ridden stuff out there that just wiggles.  ;)  We were in Yuma for a couple in 2010, including the El Centro big one, and also in Japan for a couple when visiting our daughter who was teaching there.  It is always scary when the ground starts shaking.

Felt a little shaking here in Utica, NY. Was sitting at my desk typing and noticed just a little side to side motion going on different from the building's normal vibrations. Thought it was just me for a moment until others commented on it. It was hit and miss - some people felt it and some did not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom