Shock recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samthetramp

Hey guys
I'm running a Chevy 1500 pulling a 29' Tracer executive TT and I'm pretty sure I need to replace the rear shocks at least. Getting lots of dolphining when I hit a bump while hooked up. I have an anti sway/leveling hitch but don't recall what brand. Thinking I need to go a little heavier on the rears. What would you recommend?

Thanks

If it's doing that, you might want to check out some Airlift Air Suspension bags.  I believe they have a kit for your vehicle.

New shocks will help only if the porpoising continues after the first bounce. A shock is just a damper to make sure there is only one down-up cycle. They don't stop the first one (that would defeat the purpose of the suspension).

More likely your issue is poor trailer balance, possibly too little tongue weight. That allows the trailer tongue to flutter up and down on every bump, yanking the back of the tow vehicle up and then pushing it down. Repeatedly. Could also be an improperly adjusted WD hitch, overloading the rear suspension. I would suggest starting with a weigh-in to get truck and trailer weights, including trailer tongue weight. And a careful adjustment of the WD as well.

You might also want the suspension upgrade that was suggested, but it's too soon to tell if that is needed.

If you have multiple 'bounces' do as mentioned and make sure that you've got tongue weight right.
I went to something a bit more heavy duty for our truck, and put in BILSTEIN shocks, they cost a bit more, but I have also noticed the difference driving, and my wife has as well.

The bouncing continues after the first bounce for sure. WD may be an issue but short of moving the kitchen cabinet items into the bedroom I can't see much I can do to distribute the weight forward. The kitchen cabinets, sofa, and recliner are all behind the rear axle. The bedroom has the least amount of weight in comparison. I use this as a second home for work so I'm loaded down more than your average camper. It's harvest season here so I can't get weights from a grain bin. Their far too busy know. Is there another way to get WD numbers?

Back
Top Bottom