Should I be mad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There seems to be a bit of confusion as to the specifics of the transaction.  I take the blame I was not specific enough.  The coach is 2 hours from my home for starters.  So I wasn't planning on taking many trips to visit it before I had the full check in my hand.  We saw it on Sunday afternoon and told him we would buy it on Monday morning over the phone.  So leaving a deposit would have been dificult, though not impossible with Pay Pal and other cash movement services.  The deal is off call came in on Monday evening after talking to the guy 5 or 6 times that day. 

Once we had a deal I stopped looking at any rigs, there was no point since to me I just bought one.  The "cash speaks volumes" line works to a point, and pretty much right Up to the point where he gave me the VIN so I could secure my financing is where to me the deal was really done and I expected him to honor that.  We had discussed the process, he wanted proof of my preapproval and verification that I could get funds in 48 hours or less. I paid for a mobile RV service to come out and inspect the rig because he wouldn't drive it to the nearest RV service center.  He had to know I was serious.  He wont return my calls or emails so getting any of the money I spent back is never going to happen.  I hate dealers, but maybe at least then I can stomp my feet and talk to someone.

One of my questions is if he He knew I was having a check sent next day, why would he even agree to show it again?  "I'm sorry it's sold, let me take down your number in case I dont get the check tomorrow"  Seems like an appropriate responce.  I get that a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, but come on, what's two in the hand worth?

I'm frustrated but I'm moving on.  Now we are debating whether to put our money in to something newer but not as nice, or a couple of years older and really nice.  I'll be specific, for around 40K I can either get a 2000-2001 Southwind or Adventurer in good shape with pretty low miles; or I can get a 2004-2006 Flair or Storm with almost no miles.  I'll take opinions on that as well, you guys have mostly been really great at sharing your experiences.

Just a quick opinion on your latest question.  I would opt for a higher quality older coach over a newer lower quality coach.  Assuming, of course, that you do due diligence on each potential purchase.

Agreed, when a deal is made and both parties agree by the terms of the deal verbally or physically (hand shake) then its more or less a contract between said parties.

I would contact his boss, explain exactly what happened and ask for his suspension or a verbal slap from the management team.

This is not a dealership, Its an 86 year old man selling his coach on craigslist.  I could talk to "Managment" but I doubt his wife will see it my way... LOL

jeffbrown said:
This is not a dealership, Its an 86 year old man selling his coach on craigslist.  I could talk to "Managment" but I doubt his wife will see it may way... LOL

Oh, haha.
My mistake I apologize for not reading your whole post :eek:. Well in that case there isn't much you can do..... You would think being of his wizened age ;D he would have some integrity.

I believe you had a legally binding verbal contract - offer, acceptance, consideration (promise to pay $X) - and could take him to small claims court to recover the money you spent. However, it's up to you whether or not it's worth the hassle (probably not). You might also contact craigslist.

Wendy

Wendy said:
I believe you had a legally binding verbal contract - offer, acceptance, consideration (promise to pay $X) - and could take him to small claims court to recover the money you spent. However, it's up to you whether or not it's worth the hassle (probably not). You might also contact craigslist.

Wendy

Yeah, once you shake\verbally confirm the actions to be taken its a legal contract.
Technically if you could find a court in that area that would hear you, even a magistrate they would be able to get the camper back and return all spent funds then you could buy the thing.

I purchased my MH on craigslist without a problem.  I put a deposit down one day and came back the next day with cash.

My experience selling things on craigslist is "don't count your chickens before they are hatched".  I've sold a number of items on craisglist, and have found that a lot of people will show interest, but few actually come up with the cash.  Keeping that in mind I will always sell to the first person who gives me a deposit or comes up with the cash.  I've had people tell me the item I'm selling is just what they want and they will be by the next day to buy it.  It rarely happens.  They either change their minds, or find something cheaper.  People on craigslist are sometimes a little "flaky".

If you thing you have a case, which I doubt, go to small claims court.  Don't hire an attorney unless you have a lot of money to throw away. 

"We saw it on Sunday afternoon and told him we would buy it on Monday morning over the phone.  So leaving a deposit would have been dificult, though not impossible with Pay Pal and other cash movement services.  The deal is off call came in on Monday evening after talking to the guy 5 or 6 times that day. " quote from originator

You said you would buy it Mon morning and obviously you didn't , he canceled Mon evening. Leaving a deposit is no problem, there's cash machines every where.  $100 good faith guarantee to hold til  0900 Mon morning for example.

I  would never cancel a sale for a stranger that did'nt even want to leave me a measely earnest deposit.  Also if you called him 6 times that day, he probably realized you may be having problems living up to your promise of buying Mon morning.

max49 said:
"We saw it on Sunday afternoon and told him we would buy it on Monday morning over the phone.  So leaving a deposit would have been dificult, though not impossible with Pay Pal and other cash movement services.  The deal is off call came in on Monday evening after talking to the guy 5 or 6 times that day. " quote from originator

You said you would buy it Mon morning and obviously you didn't , he canceled Mon evening. Leaving a deposit is no problem, there's cash machines every where.  $100 good faith guarantee to hold til  0900 Mon morning for example.

I  would never cancel a sale for a stranger that did'nt even want to leave me a measely earnest deposit.  Also if you called him 6 times that day, he probably realized you may be having problems living up to your promise of buying Mon morning.

Is he saying that he would buy it Monday morning (but didn't) or is he saying that on Monday morning on the phone he said he would buy it only to find out later that day it was sold to someone else?  I very well could be wrong but I am reading it that Monday morning he said over the phone that he would buy it which his comment about it being hard to make a deposit over the phone makes sense to me.

The person who read that we viewed it on Sunday afternoon and made the offer Monday morning over the phone.  While a cash machine is on my way to work the motorhome is as I mentioned, 2 hour away and in a different direction.

Many people on c-list are lookie loos but most of them are a bit more local and not willing to pay for a same day inspection.  Most of the calls were coordinating that and info for financing company.

It was clear he was in a hury, it was also clear I was doing all I could to accomidate him as well.

DougZ said:
Just wondering - if you had found a better deal on the way home, would you still have gone through with the purchase? Let's say the same exact coach for $5,000 less? There are always 2 ways of looking at everything, so don't be too hard on the guy. He didn't know you and if you didn't leave a deposit, there really was no deal.

dougz....great point..i love it

peter d

While a deposit (earnest money) would have been awkward to do given the distance, it's purpose is to prevent just what happened to you. Without it there is a risk and in this case the risk came home to roost.

After seeing this as well as other pprivate party sales gone bad, it still amazes me that some still 'hate dealers'.  Had this been a dealer, you could have left a deposit on the phone, had a warranty, probably a full tank of fuel, propane etc.  Tuesday pick the rig up. 

With private party, it is caveat EMPTOR!  Still need to watch yourself with a dealer, but at least you have more recourse.

Hmm, now I see how u are reading it Terier.  Regardless, with no deposit from a stranger, I don't blame him for selling it for "cash now".  That goes to show, if it's a good deal,  let a cash deposit with receipt  be sure to hold it.
At least he called to tell him he was too late and it was sold.

I wouldn?t be mad, just disappointed...  after all, it was a Craigs List ad.  Have sold many things via Craigs List when we were downsizing.  I can?t begin to tell you how many people called asking if the could come around in the afternoon/after work to see it because they ?really wanted it? and they never showed up nor said anything back.  And then there?s all the spam mail you get asking ?Is your item still for sale??...  Got to be you had to really read between the lines as to who?s legit and who?s not.  Also makes you feel a bit weird giving your address out to strangers who may or may not ever show up... 

The other thing is you never know what the guy?s circumstances were - maybe he?s had other people say they were coming right over with the cash and maybe the guy really needed the money for something health related...  86 ain?t no spring chicken.  What he should of said (which is something I learned to do regarding sales on CL), is to say ?first person with cash in hand gets the coach?.  Whenever I said that, everyone always said ?I understand?. 

I had almost the same thing happen at a dealership regarding a vintage car once. I was really disappointed...  kept thinking to myself afterwards "don?t count them chickens til? the eggs hatch?...  RV?s are addicting and it?s easy to make the one of your focus the only one you want! 

There?s always another good deal waiting for you out there....

Jaxon said:
I wouldn?t be mad, just disappointed...  after all, it was a Craigs List ad. 

What he should of said (which is something I learned to do regarding sales on CL), is to say ?first person with cash in hand gets the coach?.  Whenever I said that, everyone always said ?I understand?. 

Key points well said.  There are several factors involved in an transaction especially one on  CL.

Yeah, I just bought hubby a brushhog on Craigslist.  I told the guy I would be over to buy it, but I would check before I came to make sure it wasn't sold already.  I didn't expect him to hold it for me.

I plan on having the cash in hand and going immediately if its something I really want off the list.  We have had pretty good luck with it so far.

A 86 year old man selling his motorhome, he probably didn't realize you agreed to buy it, especially considering a lack of deposit.  Then him being a Korean War Vet and PTSD would make him worse to try to deal with.  Yes, you can be mad  , but what good will it do?  That only will hurt you and those around you that you make miserable.  And with him being 86 years old, maybe you are better off not buying it.  Just what has he forgotten to maintain on that motorhome.  And what else has he forgotten to tell you about concerning the motorhome.  I think he may have done you a favor!  Lots of motorhomes out there.  The right one will come along!

And yes, maybe you could take him to court, but think about this picture.  You taking a 86 year old Korean War vet to court because he sold his motorhome to someone else.  I can hear the TV announcer telling that story.  And too what end?  Just who would be viewed as the bad guy?  I don't think  your buddies would be saying - Good for you.

parmm said:
And yes, maybe you could take him to court, but think about this picture.  You taking a 86 year old Korean War vet to court because he sold his motorhome to someone else.  I can hear the TV announcer telling that story.  And too what end?  Just who would be viewed as the bad guy?  I don't think  your buddies would be saying - Good for you.

Maybe I'm alone in this view but I didn't get the impression the op thought he had a legal case.  To me it was more like he was disappointed & mad in the sense of frustration to have the rug pulled from under him even without a legal binding agreement.   

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom