shower floor reinforcement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otisthecamper

I purchased a new travel trailer last year and it is still under warranty.  The shower floor was extremely soft and of course we didn't notice it before buying the trailer.  I took it back to the dealer and they said the company did not reinforce the floor properly at the factory so they installed 2, little wood blocks that helped some but there is still too much flex in the floor.  The dealer said there is nothing more they can do.  After getting the trailer home for the second time regarding a slide related issue I decided to see what is supporting the shower floor so I removed the access panel to inspect it.  I can not believe how flimsy and cheap the floor is.  There is a piece of 3/8" plywood to support it and the 2 wood blocks to fill the gap between the trailer floor and the shower floor.  Eventually this cheap shower floor will break and/ or the drain pipe will leak.
I am going to try to reinforce it with more wood, however, the access area is so small I won't be able to get much in it.  I have used spray in insulation for insulating windows, doors, etc. but it is not hard enough and will eventually give away.  Does anybody have any other ideas or suggestions?

Pull the shower completely and build the floor like it should have been in the first place, it is easier than you might think.  Many trailers are built just like yours, mine flexed enough that the drain pipe cracked.  I was able to install blocks and fix the plumbing thru the small opening, but I had 5/8 support material that was just cut too much.  Using foam would make future plumbing repair impossible, and that might include supply lines, I wouldn't use it.

Oh, I forgot to add that RV warranties are just like the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, I don't believe in any of them.

On my last two new trailers I just did it myself. Both of them had a little access door under the front, and I just cut a variety of blocks to fit here and there for proper support - Problem solved.
You'll probably find that half, if not more of your cabinets and shelves need additional support.

Also if you check around, you'll find plenty of sealed off spaces that can be opened and  transformed into cabinets and storage places - if you are handy with wood working.

My last trailer was much better when I sold it then when I bought it with all the electrical additions and cabinetry that I did

Jack L

Thanks for the information.  I will try to add additional wooden supports through the small access panel.  I am amazed at how cheap and flimsy the shower pan and other items on the trailer are.  If there is another trailer in the future I will know what to look for and not rely on the sales pitch.

Unfortunately, they are all like that.
I am on my fourth one and don't pay any attention to what the salesman says. I have reached the stage where I know more about the trailers then the salesman does.
If it has the layaout  I want, I negotiate the price and go with it, knowing that the day it is mine I'll start redoing a lot of the stuff.
On my newest, we found the layaout and then I ordered it custom built from the factory with a lot of additions and changes. We had to wait a long time for it, but so far there has been noting wrong with it except for the blocs that I had to add under the shower pan.

Jack L

I figured out a good way to add support to my shower pan.  I removed the front access panel and measured the distance between the trailer floor and the plywood on the bottom of the shower pan.  I cut about 20 sections of schedule 40 pvc pipe and slid them in, upright.  I cut them about 1/16" short of the measurement.  I also reinforced the drain area with a wooden support.  Everything can be easily removed if needed.  Now my floor is solid.  Too bad the factories can't think of simple, easy ways to install the floors properly.

Back
Top Bottom