Slide on battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gunner7256

I have a 2022 trailer and the slide will operate on shore power, but will only go out about 6” then click as if the batteries are dead. I have 2 12volt batteries. The batteries are brand new, I’ve tried eliminating 1 then the other to see if it’s a bad battery, even tried a different battery.

Perhaps there is some stiffness in the slide that will draw high amp causing the voltage of batteries to drop, this will the shut off the power.

It works perfectly fine when plugged in
That could mean that it draws more current than your batteries can supply, as it works from the output of the converter if you are connected to shore power. I would start by monitoring the voltage to the slide motor when you try to operate it from the batteries. It could be something as simple as bad connections to the battery or in between.

I had the same issue as described in this thread. My power jack also would stall. My issue was that the battery connects to some breakers on the trailer frame and all the connections were very corroded. When I replaced the breakers and cleaned the wire connectors, things worked fine.

Now, my TT is 9 years old. Yours is fairly new, so I'm not sure you would have the exact same issue, but I'm guessing you can't draw enough from your batteries.

What does your positive battery cable connect to?
Does your negative (ground) look OK?
Maybe the batteries are bad? I had to get a new battery even though mine was only 2 years old. Someone suggested getting batteries checked at an auto parts store for free.

I know just enough about electricity to be dangerous. Perhaps someone can suggest some diagnostics to check your connections.

Check your connections and let us know what you find.

Check, clean and tighten all battery connections back to the power converter. Especially the ground wire to the frame.
Also make sure the batteries are being charged while on shore power.

I’ve checked all the connections, everything seems good. Now I had the tt sitting for 4 days on battery power only other than the fridge on propane. When I got to the trailer, batteries were at 12.0 volts. As soon as used the toilet, turned the living room lights on, or awning lights, volts would drop to 11.5. Just glad I didn’t have to use the furnace.

When I got to the trailer, batteries were at 12.0 volts. As soon as used the toilet, turned the living room lights on, or awning lights, volts would drop to 11.5.
The following if data from Interstate Battery company and is pretty typical for any deep cycle, wet cell battery.
1692026596905.png
Notice that at 12.0 volts the battery is 50% discharged and should be charged again. As the battery is depleted the rate of voltage loss increases and wet cell batteries should be kept at 50% or above. Four days is a bit quick for the batteries to dischare that much but it could be a case of the batteries never having been fully charged or you could have some phantom loads at work.

Back
Top Bottom