Small First Aid kit recommendation needed. What do you carry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rving

Title say it all. Every RV should have one. Do you carry a store bought kit or make your own. Please share details ether case. Thank you!

rving said:
Title say it all. Every RV should have one. Do you carry a store bought kit or make your own. Please share details ether case. Thank you!

We carry pretty extensive first aid kit since we do a lot of backcountry camping, backpacking and hiking
into very remote areas-we tailor the kit for backpacking and hiking with the majority left in the rig-we make
our own kits BTW which saves over 90% in costs..most kits we found are wayyy over-priced for their
contents..half of which we find are useless to us. We have a separate backpack...about a cu ft sized
day hiking bag for the entire kit's contents and take just what we need for the type of excursion:

Various sizes of bandages and gauze wraps and 10 yards waterproof tape
Antibiotics (amoxicillin, penecillin tabs)
Short splint material and 2 small stretch wraps
Matches and candle  in the kit!!
Iodine solution
antiseptic soap and salve and ointments
poison-ivy decon kit
small flashlight and spare battery
sm bottle of alcohol and another vial of H202
digital thermometer, EMT scissors, duct tape, various pill vials,safety pins
eye wash cup
sm and large splinter removal tweezers, 20x magnifying glasses
acetaminophen, package of antihistamine tabs
Cold-eze and cough tabs
sm bottle aspirin, aleve and ibuprofen
2 pr nitrile gloves
10cc irrigation syringe
butterfly and wound-closure strips
antiseptic wipes and dozen gauze pads and a couple of non-stick pads (4x4)
knuckle bandages
aloe vera gel with lidocaine
moleskin (about 6 large 4x6 pieces)
GlacierGel blister pads
extra elastic bandage
Lovenox anti-coaglent pre-loaded syringe
1 syringe morphine
anti-diarrheal  tabs
water-purification tabs
vit c to offset water pur tabs.
(if on longer trip we take water filter hand-pump)

I think that's all that's in our kit...maybe we forgot to mention little stuff like knife,
spare small compass, and thinking about getting a SPOT unit.

R and S

My first aid kit is somewhat dated I guess.  I have:

Smelling salts
Merthiolate
Surgical Tape
Super Glue
Cloverine Salve
Acifidity Bag
Fish Hook Remover

Actually, I have one basement storage bay labeled Rx

(It has no key, but you have to use a Medicare card to open it)

We have a homemade kit....actually, we have 2 kits, one human, separate one for Gordon. They're easy to put together. Buy a cheap plastic snap-lid box at Wal-Mart and put in a variety of size and shape of bandages, aspirin, hemostats (great for removing cactus spines and stickers), antiseptic wipes, tape (sticky and stretch), super glue (great for sealing wounds), Benedryl (or similar-good for spider bites). A bottle of distilled water is also handy to keep in the RV for washing wounds and burns as well as for filling your batteries.

And don't forget to replace and replenish items in the kit periodically.

Wendy

We make our own then we have what we want or think we need.  Tweezers are extremely important in the desert where cactus needles like to penetrate shoes and pants and - worst - skin!  Terry got his out today when Jerry got near a cactus and it followed him all the way to the car!  Don't ask me!  ::)  I tweezed the needles out of his shoe soles.

ArdraF

Im a Volunteer Firefighter and member of my local Rescue Squad so I just cary my first responder bag with me. Its usually already in the truck so I just dont take it out. ;D What you carry would depend on what you know how to use. My bag most likely has more things in it then the typical "Kit" I would recomend either a store bought kit or buy items similar to the items that are listed for the kit. I have a small store bought kit that I keep in my boat it is in a hard plastic water tight case this would be great although you shouldnt need water proof inside your RV. Either way you go I applaud you for thinking ahead and wanting to be prepaired

Happy travels

One item I learned to carry was a temporary tooth filling material (like DenTemp).  If a filling falls out it will fill the gap until you can get to a dentist.

Steve

I carry a small WCB approved kit suitable in most situations for up to five casualties. I have also had Red Cross Level 1 with CPR and Transport training. It has been a few years since the last class but it would likely kick in in a crisis. Haven't had to use it yet except for the time I nipped the tip of my toe with the lawnmower (was wearing boots).

I carry a kit from Aerostich which is small and fairly comprehensive.  It's their "touring" kit and has all the important stuff in it for dealing with an injury.

I also carry a selection of OTC drugs that are important in dealing with various problems.  Acetaminophen, Benadryl, Alleve, cimetidine, Mylanta.  All stuff that can save a trip to town.  Also a large container of povidone-iodine for infection prevention on routine injuries.

Lots of additional things mentioned I never would have thought of.
My first aid kit is going to be larger then I anticipated for good reason.
This is why this site is so valuable, thanks everyone:)

I too have been avoiding this thread for want of something to say... However I've decided to jump in

Though I do have several small, even down to pocket size "First aid" kits (not much more than bandaids in the pocket size)

A good first aid kit is as least as large as a tackle box.. Now the one I have in the MH is about a 24CD case size.. It is too small

I recall a song, (The Weapon's Master by Misty Lackey) the line is "With out a clue as to what he's preparing us for"

First aid is like that.. You really need to pack for that for which you have no clue.. I mean the little kits are decent for Minor cuts or scrapes.. and they may include a guide book for more serious stuff. but if you need to split a broken bone.. Not much in them can help you there.

You need a good assortment of bandages, both band-aid type and larger gauze pads with tape, A sling, stuff to splint with (In a motor home you can find alternatives to the traditional splint, but you still need a roll of something to hold it in place, Tape, Gauze, Compression bandage)

You may wish to have ointments and/or creams

And water purification tablets (Optional in a motor home where you often have many gallons of water)

Of course since many of us are older... an AED and the training to use it (Automatic External Defibrillator) not a bad idea either.. Though that is deffently not a SMALL item.. it can sure be a lifesaver... I'm certified in it's use.

And one (or two) things you can not pack in a first aid kit..... YOUR MIND.

Two classes.. Red Cross offers both but you can get 'em elsewhere too, often for less.

1: Multi-media 1st Aid (This is the Red Cross class)  Teaches many things including CPR 0.01

2: CPR with (or if you must without) AED.. Taught by many places. Fire departments, Police, I get my training at Church of all places (In order to save the soul we sometimes must first save the body)  Some of 'em teach for free.

That... You can not pack in a first aid case.. You have to pack it between the ears.

Wife is an RN so it might be easier to list what we don't carry. I used to bust her chops about it but don't any more ever since we came upon a nasty motorcycle accident on the way home one time. It was in the middle of nowhere and she played a big part in keeping the victim in good shape until the EMT's could arrive from over a half hour away.

Hi

I bought mine from Staples. It's intended for a small office or company first aid kit and comes pretty well equiped.

;D

Geoff

Back
Top Bottom