Socializing in RV parks - is it just my experience so far?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say any attempt to apply characterization to any kind of folks anyplace is an over-generalization.  There are all types and THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!

seilerbird said:
That reminds me of a story. About 30 years ago I had an Old English Sheepdog (registered name: Teiler Seiler) and at three months of age I started taking him to obedience class. I had always gone through obedience class with every pup I have owned but in this one the trainer started with something different. She demonstrated how to keep your dog or any other dog from jumping up on you. When he does you simply grab both of his (or hers) front paws and smile sweetly at the dog and say sweet things to him (this is in case this is not your dog and the owner are watching). Then you start squeezing the everloving crap out of his paws. Not enough to do serious damage but enough to cause him real discomfort. Then the secret is to hold the dog like this for about 10 seconds. By the time you let go the dog will never jump up on anyone again.

I have done that before but I found was simply raising my knee and letting the dog run into it also trains the owner that other folks don't think their malbehaved animal is adorable.

Dont'let it worry you. Over the years there have been many times when we camped at some location where there seemed to be little opportunity to visit with neighboring campers. On the other hand, there have been many, many times when we visited with numerous campers.

Thinking over the times, perhaps it may depend on many situations including the other acttivities at the time and location, the weather, how much time we spent outside and at our RV, etc.

I think I answered this elsewhere by telling of my weekend, Friday a young couple came in close to dark with a PUP, as it got darker I assisted her in setting it up (He was not there yet) broke out work lights and so on.  We wound up sharing their campfire.

Saturday it was a newly married couple who speak very little english in an older Class A.. Again with the work light and it turns out the young lady next to us .. .Well she speaks Spanish (As did the newlyweds)

I might add, the folks in the PUP, 2nd time out
The Newly Weds 1st night in the motor home.

As green as Robin Williams in the movie I just re-watched.

(As Green as Jeff Daniels was when he made his trip to Cooperstown in his brand new Jayco)  (Jeff plays the other RVer in the movie)

Miss Mermaid its just cause you are a single woman.  People still don't know how to take us women that don't sit around waiting to enjoy life until a man is with us and they aren't quite sure what to do with us!

But I have never met a stranger and am probably a little to aggressive so I just talk up a storm and then go on.  They have a hard time ignoring me.

Also I've found complimenting someone on their home goes a long way too. 

I'm been known to say, my what a beautiful motorhome you have you sure must enjoy that.  All of us including me like to talk about themselves and their things. ;)

Gary RV Roamer said:
The larger the rig, the easier it is to stay indoors without feeling claustrophobic.  My recliner is more comfortable than a lawn chair, my computer is at one hand and my current book at the other, and the cold ones in the fridge are just a few steps away. Why go outside?  These days I find I have to kick-start myself to get out and meet people. I'm not any less sociable than ever - just less motivated to get outdoors.

I'm curious: how do you distinguish an "RV park" from a "campground".  Just the difference in the name on the sign, or something else?

Well put Gary. I don't sit out on the sidewalk at my S&B house either.

I'm pretty sure it's not a physical ailment to not want to talk to everyone that walks by or is bored by their lifestyle. I'm out in my MH for 7 months a year to see the country I didn't see when I was working. For 31 years I "met" people having emergencies in their lives and on my days off taught public education for 8-11 hours a day. Meeting new people in every class, spending break-time talking to people answering questions.

Don't take it personally if I don't want to make chit-chat with you while I'm hooking up coming in or leaving. It ain't you, it's the thousands of others I've chit-chatted with over the years. And yes I'm in one of those big snobby MH's, I have my satelite TV, books, wife, dog, and naps to keep me busy.

Ken

When we are in the MH we have a Siamese cat with us that loves to roam sooooo I put a harness on him and we go for a walk.  As my wife says, I meet most of the ladies in the park and a few of the men.  He is a good ice breaker!  :)

I think there is something else to consider here too.  When we are hooking up the coach to the utilities; or when hooking/unhooking the car to the coach, I can be rude.  I'm concentrating on what I'm doing and trying not to forget something.  I will hardly give you the time of day.  Having people trying to talk to me when I'm doing this drives me crazy.

One time I was giving my husband hand signal directions helping him back into a tight spot.  Out comes a fella rushing over to help little ole me and begins to tell me how I should place the coach .  Then he goes to the front of the coach so my husband can see him and hear him.  Tim is really good at ignoring when he needs too.  He kept concentrating on me and didn't even give him eye contact.  The "helper" stomped back to his coach.  I'm sure he considered us rude and "unfriendly".  We are usually very friendly and like to visit with people; but when we are doing something like this with the coach/tow car; we're not.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
I think there is something else to consider here too.  When we are hooking up the coach to the utilities; or when hooking/unhooking the car to the coach, I can be rude.  I'm concentrating on what I'm doing and trying not to forget something.  I will hardly give you the time of day.  Having people trying to talk to me when I'm doing this drives me crazy.

Marsha~

Maybe that's part of the problem.  You admit it "drives you crazy".

Would it have been such an imposition to take two minutes and explain to the gentleman that you and hubby have a well practiced routine?  That you appreciate his offer to help, but it's not needed?  Maybe an offer by you to stop by later for a cup of coffee?

Yes, he might have come on a little too aggressive with his trying to help you guys out.  But, did he deserve the treatment you gave him?  You didn't mention how the rest of the stay played out.  Something tells me he didn't give you guys the time of day either.  Wonder why?

Keep in mind that your not landing the Space Shuttle.  This guy was only trying to help.  He didn't know who "little ole me" was, let alone capable of.

Think about it.  He does now!

denmarc said:
Would it have been such an imposition to take two minutes and explain to the gentleman that you and hubby have a well practiced routine? 

YES. When you're in your routine, whether parking or hooking/unhooking the coach, most of us don't want to be interrupted. And if interrupted, you can forget important steps which can often lead to damage. So let people get parked, then come over and "meet and greet". And don't be insulted if the folks you offered your invaluable assistance to simply don't want it !

Wendy

"little ole me"

Mark, as one of the other female drivers in this forum (Marsha - "little ole me" - being one of us), I have to say that some men can be REALLY overbearing and irritating thinking that because we're women we don't know what we're doing.  In the case Marsha mentioned, that man should have figured out she and Tim knew what they were doing and by overriding their routine, he was out of line and should have backed off.  If more eyes are needed to help make sure someone doesn't back into something, that's one thing, but if things are under control then maybe help isn't needed or wanted. One time I observed an obviously new male driver of a trailer try to back into his site and his wife clearly didn't have a clue how to help him.  After they struggled a while I went over and offered to help them but he was so frustrated by then that my help (another stupid woman!) clearly was not wanted so I left.  They struggled for half an hour trying to get that trailer into the site.  Had he taken the help offered by this "little ole me" he might have shortened his back-in time and frustration considerably.

Most of us have hook and unhook routines and prefer not to be interrupted because a wrong move can cause serious consequences, especially when hooking up the toad or a trailer.  When I'm interrupted with my final walkaround, for example, I begin again at my starting point to make sure I see everything that needs to be seen.  Please don't interpret this as being rude or unfriendly.  Maybe we're trying to get on the road by a certain time because we have to be somewhere else at a designated time.  Restarting our routine delays our departure time.

ArdraF 

I had one of those eager helpers rush over to me at a campground this summer. I had stopped in the road to survey the sight since I would backing in to the passenger side (tougher for me than the driver's side). I had barely gotten out of the truck and he comes over "Get back in, I got it, come one back". I did take a quick peek at the site just to make sure nothing was in the way. I got back in the truck and he gave good solid hand and verbal signals and once I was backed in, he headed back to his site. Then, I did it all over again - he had me about 15' away from the power post and completely crooked in the site. Oh well, Kim and I had a good laugh over it.

My camp site usually ends up being a social gathering when I have burgers and/or steaks on the BBQ, or the morning pancakes, eggs and bacon on the griddle. 

ArdraF and Wendy,
I totally understand where you are coming from.  The trucking industry has seen a increase in female drivers like you would not believe in the last 10 years!  Something I still need a little getting accustom to.  But I am getting there.  I no longer believe that a female can't handle a big ole rig!  I know better.

That is why I REALLY understand that "little ole me" really doesn't need help.  I would just hope that you would be patient enough to take the unwanted help in stride.  Brush off accordingly without emotional pain.

And then there are the real newbies, another issue in itself.  But might explain what is happening at any particular campsite somewhere.

I totally understand the final workarounds before leaving the site.  And I know just how I am going to do my
"walk around" when I hook up and pull my loaded trailer from where ever.  The key is confidence in what you did. 
I have been walking around, with my personal RV's and at work, for many years.  I know if something doesn't feel right before I leave.  Interruptions should be expected.  You will be the better person and better prepared to be ready for those interruptions when they happen.

I didn't intend to sound so pointed.  Regardless of gender, whatever the situation at the campground....
Take a deep breath when someone comes to help. 
Take into consideration they may be only trying to help.  Not take over your routine.
Keep in mind that the first impression to your neighbors might determine how good your stay will be.

diehard said:
My camp site usually ends up being a social gathering when I have burgers and/or steaks on the BBQ, or the morning pancakes, eggs and bacon on the griddle.

You're the kind of RV'er that I like for a neighbor!

I've just got to say this ....  I've met Marsha in person and I can't even imagine her ever being rude or short with anyone.  She may think she is, but believe me  ....  she isn't!  ;D  She might be seething on the inside, but would still look like friendly Marsha on the outside.  ;)

Margi

It's only recently (2 years) that I have become more understanding of others responses to my approach. You simply do not know what medications others are taking that can effect their personalities.
    Personally I am like a goose...wake up in a new world every morning without knowing what my disposition will be today. The meds (steroids) are "killin" my normally pleasant self! Most all of us have health issues and are taking meds that change us from the person we normally are.
    A little understanding goes a long way while returning negative responses can escalate into something ugly. 
    Would you believe...I actually fired myself last week. I'm not going to allow myself to talk to me in such a rude manner ???

denmarc,

We talked to the fella after I got Tim parked, set up and ready to relax.  I explained we have a routine that works well.  Both families apologized and he mentioned that he had seen a lot of women who didn't know how to direct the driver.  I told him, well, I drive the coach about half the time and pretty much know how to get the rig into the site.  We all had a good laugh and he said he'd watch out for me in the future...... :D

Now there was another time at an Elks Lodge that a very drunk man tried to help me back Tim into a site......that was hysterical.  I thought he was going to open the coach door, get in and take over.  We worked through that one too!

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom