Solar Generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

DW has been seeing these ads for 'solar generators'. Doesn't like using our gen. Honda 2000. too noisy and embarrassing.. I don'r have much info on these power packs with solar panels. What can they actually do? Do any have a 30 amp plug? what can they run? We have a 24' TT, the fridge would run on propane, if we were plugged in, it would be charging the batterys, maybe electric coffee pot in morning, and TV for a bit in evening.
Personally, I have no issue with others using or our using the gen, she has just recently developed this idea. We were others and she thought we were the only gen. wrong, everyone had one.

Looking quickly it looks like the only ones to service our needs are upwards of 3000.

It's just a package consisting of a built-in battery, an inverter, and some solar panels. If you get one large enough it can do anything you want. As with any solar power system, you need to assess your daily power needs to determine how much battery capacity you need, and make another assessment about how frequently you want to be able to fully recharge the built-in battery.

I see solar generator models with capacities in the 2000-3000 watt range but the amount of solar panels needed to recharge that isn't going to be very portable. And yes, they are pricey compared to a gasoline generator and a 5 gallon gas can.

The "generator" doesn't need a 30A plug unless you actually expect to draw 30A (300 watts). Use a 30A/15A adapter on the shore cord if necessary.

Last edited:
Gary, pretty much what I was thinking, but also wondering if anyone here has used these in the boondocking scenario. For providing 110 for say TV, onboard battery charging and overnight for furnace, guessing a 2000 would be minimum, we can get along pretty well with our 2000 watt Honda.

Alternatively some solar panels providing power to my 2 6v batteries to keep them up and an inverter might be enough?

DW has been seeing these ads for 'solar generators'. Doesn't like using our gen. Honda 2000. too noisy and embarrassing.. I don'r have much info on these power packs with solar panels. What can they actually do? Do any have a 30 amp plug? what can they run? We have a 24' TT, the fridge would run on propane, if we were plugged in, it would be charging the batterys, maybe electric coffee pot in morning, and TV for a bit in evening.
Personally, I have no issue with others using or our using the gen, she has just recently developed this idea. We were others and she thought we were the only gen. wrong, everyone had one.

Looking quickly it looks like the only ones to service our needs are upwards of 3000.
There are three things to consider when buying a battery/inverter/solar panel "solar generator" and they can vary widely between different units.

1) The size of the inverter. Must be large enough to power everything you want to use. Stated as "watts" in the specifications.

2) The size of the battery, a.k.a. the gas tank. How long the "generator" can supply the requested power. Given as "watt hours" in the specifications.

Watts and watt-hours aren't the same thing, and different "solar generators" have different proportions of one over the other. Some may only be able to deliver their rated power for a single hour, others have proportionally larger batteries that can deliver full power for a couple of hours.

3) Solar panel size, which determines how long it takes to replace the power you use.

The marketing of these things is compelling. Shows plugging in a refrigerator during a power outage which of course it will run, but the included 100W panel has no chance of keeping up even under ideal solar conditions much less storm/night during a real outage. So after about a day the thing is flat and the promise of "fuel and fume free" and "silent" is moot. The predominant period of useful solar is about 4 hours a day, but using the term "generator" I think the notion of indefinite power is implied. Three grand for a useful amount of amp hours to run a TT is just the start - enough panels to keep up with that are on top of that plus the farting around to set them up and put them away. Throw in a cloudy day and you're pulling the genset out. So careful what you ask for with the portable power solutions. They're handy for fill-in or temporary power but not something that will replace a real generator.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Mark_K5LXP (y)

That has got to be the best summary of pros and cons of solar generators that I have seen so far.

It all comes down to what you want to accomplish and what you are willing to spend to get it done.
Finally you need to hope there is enough sunlight available to get the job done, when you need it.

Safe travels and all the best.

I have a problem with these things being called generators. They are actually inverters. The solar panels charge a battery and the battery voltage is then converted to AC. Generators themselves convert mechanical power (engine) directly to AC using an alternator, or a DC generator to an internal inverter.

I think you should start by carefully explaining to here that they are only solar when you have: A- room to set out the solar panels, B- Enough sun to charge the batteries in the box, C- Enough time time for the sun to charge the batteries in the box, D- A box of batteries that is enough to do what she homes.
Matt_C

Thank you all, You have explained what my perception has been. We have been fine with the genset, in fact when we were in the motorhome she would starti t up and run, ask OK to turn on yet etc, Somehow the pirtable freaks her out, maybe because she is concerned about starting it herself? Keep seeing ads for these others and she is believing it all. If we were going to start boondocking for months, I would go about it entirely differently. I think I have enough behind me now.

Get a Honda 3200. It’s quiet. I upgraded from a 2200 but wanted a 30 amp plug. It’s worth the money. Don’t think those electric generators are ready for prime time yet. As mentioned above, to get a good recharge, need allot of sunshine.

I have a 2000w "solar generator" it works great with in its limits.
Run the A/C NOPE, run the microwave YES, run tv, lights, charge phones and computer YES.
Recharge in a day with 100w portable solar panel NOT EVEN close. For calculating purposes, a solar day is 5 hr, so for a depleted unit figure you need 400w of solar to recharge in a day with perfect sun.
Recharge from a 12v cigarette lighter, not in your lifetime, actually it would be a bit over 20 hours for my unit.
Recharge from 120v in 2 hr. So your at a camp ground with shore power and you need one of these???
Better yet you going to run your generator for 2hr?, well maybe then you could watch tv during quiet hours.
30 amp plug for the rv, yes, you just have to unplug the converter so your not trying to charge your house battery too. Mine has a 30 amp 12v dc outlet that I've paralleled in to the 12v fuse panel to run all the dc stuff in the RV. I used a 1, 2, both battery selector switch, so effectively this and the house battery can be paralleled and will run the heater for days.

So buy one or spend $1000 for solar panels and a 2000 inverter, or just up rate your house battery your call.
P.S. you can carry it inside the house during a power outage and run your fridge, some lights and a TV.

Last edited:
I have a problem with these things being called generators. They are actually inverters. The solar panels charge a battery and the battery voltage is then converted to AC. Generators themselves convert mechanical power (engine) directly to AC using an alternator, or a DC generator to an internal inverter.
The advantage of a gas-powered inverter is the size of the fuel tank - it takes a lot of battery space & weight to equal watt-hours in a couple gallons of gas or diesel fuel.

> tv, lights, charge phones and computer

You can run all these things using cheap 12-19v converters etc from Amazon.

> tv, lights, charge phones and computer

You can run all these things using cheap 12-19v converters etc from Amazon.
Yes but can they power your household fridge during a power outage.
Solar Generators are a bit miss named and have limits. BUT with a small TT or a PopUp they are great.

The energy density of propane or gas is far greater than any battery. Everything in the RV world is a compromise for something. Noise, freedom, costs

Gary, pretty much what I was thinking, but also wondering if anyone here has used these in the boondocking scenario. For providing 110 for say TV, onboard battery charging and overnight for furnace, guessing a 2000 would be minimum, we can get along pretty well with our 2000 watt Honda.

Alternatively some solar panels providing power to my 2 6v batteries to keep them up and an inverter might be enough?
Charging your onboard battery with its converter/charger that draws power via an inverter from another battery is extremely wasteful. Power loss is probably 30% or more. If you want to do that, Hook solar panels (fixed or portable) to your onboard batteries. And use an inverter with the onboard batteries if you need to run any 120v devices.

guessing a 2000 would be minimum, we can get along pretty well with our 2000 watt Honda.
You are still ignoring the watts vs watt-hours question, i.e. how long the power is needed. Your portable gas generator has a decent size, easily refillable fuel tank and can supply that 2000W for about 4 hours per tank. With an extra 5 gallon fuel container your are good for 24 hours at max power. You won't find a 2000W electric/solar generator that can come anywhere near to that. Even on a sunny day.

The advantage of a gas-powered inverter is the size of the fuel tank - it takes a lot of battery space & weight to equal watt-hours in a couple gallons of gas or diesel fuel.
I agree. My comment was about calling a battery powered inverter a generator.

"a generator [1] is a device that converts motion-based power ( potential and kinetic energy into electric power for use in an external circuit. Sources of mechanical energy include steam turbines, gas turbines, water turbines, internal combustion engines, wind turbines"

An inverter generator produces a high frequency three phase AC voltage that is rectified (DC) then converted back to normal 60hz AC. Sounds redundant, but it is makes for a more stable and consistant AC output.
This also allows it to be much lighter than a regular generator.
Plus it may have DC outputs.

My 2000 watt Jackery will handle a 3000 watt draw. Starting with a full charge and 400 watts of solar panels in good sun I can run a 15k air conditioner for about an hour and a half. Practical? Not really.

Attachments

• IMG_4999.jpeg
    IMG_4999.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 1
My comment was about calling a battery powered inverter a generator.
I think that view is short-sighted. The battery is just a substitute for the engine & fuel tank on a gas-powered model. And a solar panel is a substitute for a spare gas can. It's just that the battery power is quite limited in the amount and duration of the generated power. And the fuel tank is slow to refill. If the gas engine was only 500 cc and had a one pint gas tank, would it no longer be a generator?

Don't bother to reply - it's an academic question and suitable mainly for campfire discussions lubricated by various potent beverages. :D

I had a friend last week say he had his generator ready for the cold weather. I commented that he needs to make sure he has enough gas and he replied, "It's electric." :oops:

I said, "Dude, an electric generator is...wait for it...a battery."

Yes but can they power your household fridge during a power outage.

i'm fortunate enough to not have a residential refrigerator. My point was that a "solar generator" or an inverter is not needed to power or recharge a tv, computer, phone etc while a $30 device will do that just fine.

If I needed to power a residential refrigerator I'd use a real generator.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom