Solo stove security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coevers

So the solo stoves have been on top of almost every RV gadget list for 2019.  They are an awesome product, however quite expensive.  Given that expensive and popular items tend to get stolen and resold, has anyone come up with a good idea to secure one of these at the campsite while not in use?

Sadly, If someone wants it they are going to get it.

Although for the most part thefts at campsites are not common.

On a side note I had to Google Solo stoves...I had never heard of them.....So I guess it not on my gadget list.

Gizmo, I had to look it up, too!

This is a portable "fire pit" type device.  If it is cool, put it into a storage bay, locked and out of sight.  If it is hot, nobody will want to pick it up.

Gizmo100 said:
So I guess it not on my gadget list.

Nor mine. Are you referring to the firepit version? The others seem to be backpack stoves that, while cool, wouldn't be on my shopping list as an RVer.

Big, and I mean BIG dog water and food dish. bit of dog food (no dog required) leash from tie down near stove to under rig where you can't see the absence of dog........

Coevers said:
So the solo stoves have been on top of almost every RV gadget list for 2019.  They are an awesome product, however quite expensive.  Given that expensive and popular items tend to get stolen and resold, has anyone come up with a good idea to secure one of these at the campsite while not in use?
The Flame Genie is a much less expensive alternative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JecnUGWYnas

Solo fire pit is awesome and worth ever penny.  And no, I don't have any affiliation with them.  I've got the small version for the MH and may get medium or large for the house.

I have never heard of them either. Since they are for burning wood, what is the point of carrying one. Any place that will allow you to burn wood will have a fire ring already there for you to use. If you are going to haul along a portable firepit, it might as well be a propane one that you can use where wood  burning is not allowed. We found quite a few places that had fire bans on wood burning last season. The propane ones are never banned that Im aware of. We have used them many times where there was a fire ban on.

muskoka guy said:
I have never heard of them either. Since they are for burning wood, what is the point of carrying one. Any place that will allow you to burn wood will have a fire ring already there for you to use.

You would think that wouldn't you.. Sadly it's not true.. Many parks at one time had fire rings for all sites. the old metal rings.. but they rusted out or went "Walkabout" (Got heisted) and were never replaced so at one time I carried TWO fire "rings' (One Ring one Pit-2-go it is square)  I still have the Pit-2-Go.. gave the breakdown-able ring to a friend who did not have a ring on his site (and neither did I)  The ring could be broken into sections and packed up for travel  10 bucks I think at wally world.

Today many newer sites have those dual culvert concrete filled jobs but I've seen some of them stating to break down.. Have not seen any go walk-about yet but they do break down.

muskoka guy said:
Since they are for burning wood, what is the point of carrying one.

Back in our snow skiing days, we dry-camped in many a ski area parking lot for a night or 3. We carried a Weber fireplace with us, along with wood. Apres ski, we set up the fireplace and sat out quafing adult libations with our friends, and watched the others trudge off to their long drive home. Even at the Mammoth RV park, the fire rings were buried in snow, but we still had a fire.

Were we still doing that, a Solo looks like it would be perfect.

SLOweather said:
Back in our snow skiing days, we dry-camped in many a ski area parking lot for a night or 3. We carried a Weber fireplace with us, along with wood. Apres ski, we set up the fireplace and sat out quafing adult libations with our friends, and watched the others trudge off to their long drive home. Even at the Mammoth RV park, the fire rings were buried in snow, but we still had a fire.

Were we still doing that, a Solo looks like it would be perfect.
lol  Sorry, wasn't really thinking of having to dig a fire ring out of the snow bank. If that is the case, by all means you should carry one. {or a shovel}. I generally try not to camp in snow too much. That is why we generally head south in the winter. I certainly don't have room to carry a wood burning fire ring.  Apparently others do. To each their own, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom