SR-71

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jackiemac said:
It sure is a beauty. Here is the one in McMinville...

We were in McMinville for the month of May but unfortunately it was closed due to the COVID-19 so we only were able to enjoy that wonderful museum from the outside.  I would have loved to see the SR71, maybe we will get to go back when open.

For aircraft buffs ... You really ought to go see the SR-71 and other cool aircraft at the SAC Museum ...

https://sacmuseum.org/

It’s West of Omaha ... trivia challenge ... look for the Goblin ... very innovative alternative!
I was privileged to fly in some of the aircraft there due to starting my career in SAC.

Molaker said:
Well, that didn't work. I lost my text somewhere along the way. I was just going to say I spent a little time on carriers, too. 1st on the Midway with A3Ds, 2nd on the Kittyhawk with A6 Intruders and 3rd on the Roosevelt 2x (FDR) with F4Bs.
I was on the Kitty Hawk, 69-74. Ships company, FTM

When I stand by the Blackbird it makes me want to take it for a spin. LOL

I'm not a pilot but the Blackbird looks cooler than a 2020 Corvette which is a really hard thing to do. The pilots must have had a blast flying them other than people were trying to shoot them down.

McMinville is a must, it's a great museum and has the Spruce Goose!

You can camp for free in their car park around the back too.

The book Skunk Works by Ben Rich, who succeeded Kelly Johnson as head of the Skunk Works, details the development of the U-2, the SR-71 and even the F-117 stealth fighter, as well as telling much of the history of the Skunk Works. It's a fascinating book.

Back when I was in high school, the designation was YF-12A, and I had the Revell model hanging from the light fixture in my bedroom.

sadixon49 said:
I spent 4 years on an aircraft carrier. Old joke, Navy pilots thought they were the best in the world because they could land on a carrier, Air force pilots knew they were the best in the world because they weren't stupid enough to try and land on a carrier.

Last I checked no one ever kamikazied an AFB - LOL...

I have a good buddy who was an SR71 crew chief.  To this day there are things they did and places they went he can't talk about...

Ex-Calif said:
Last I checked no one ever kamikazied an AFB - LOL...

I have a good buddy who was an SR71 crew chief.  To this day there are things they did and places they went he can't talk about...

I have a story about a Blackbird that I can tell.  In 1970 I was at Saigon TSN airport and I saw a Blackbird start up in a hanger, open the big doors and take off from the hanger.  It spent very little time on the runway.  I never could understand why a Blackbird was in Viet Nam.

We had F-4s and B-52a t my base in NC, and in Nam, lots of F-4s.  In NC they were doing more training so we gotta see lots of things, and of curse the favorite for us was vertical with afternburner.  In all the time on or near flightiness, never saw the tower buzz like in Top Gun. 

The 52s though love to watch coming at you, wings start flying then they pull up the fuselage.  very cool.  HS friend became a pilot for them.

Being Canadian I had never seen a B-52 up close and had no idea just how big they are until I was at an airshow in Boise ID. How does anything that big get up and stay there? :eek:

Oldgator73 said:
Our son was stationed at Kadena. He loved it there.

We were at Misawa from 89-92. Great assignment. Still have Japanese friends we keep in touch with.

I was TAD to Misawa (from Okinawa) when the AF turned the flight line/etc over to the Navy.  I had duty the night the 1st P3 landed there. 

WILDEBILL308 said:
When I was in Okinawa in the late 60s It was fun watching the U2s and Sr-71 take off. One time I timed a Sr-71 From the time he went to full afterburner to start his takeoff to out of sight (clear day) was 70 sec. Yes the F-16 can accelerate strait up. I built F-16s and F-22 and F/A-35s. Our test pilot for the F-16 use to do the full power climb to altitude on the first flight. I asked him about that one time and he said "you guys built it and said it was good to go. Besides if it breaks and I have to eject I am over the field and I don't have to walk home. :eek:

They would send a tanker up prior to take off.  I clocked one taking to out of sight at around 90 seconds.  Anyway-FAST!!!
The F-35 can take off vertically faster than the harrier. They like to use the little jump ramp to save fuel.
Bill

These are some fantastic stories. I don?t consider what I did, serving in the military, any great thing to be thanked for. I consider it my pleasure. Since I joined the AF and subsequently retired, we have always lived near a military facility. It?s great to hear the jet engines running up at night and seeing the planes flying over the house. I?m not this big flag waving, uber patriotic guy but I do enjoy seeing the planes. The louder the better.

Oldgator73 said:
I don?t consider what I did, serving in the military, any great thing to be thanked for..

You could have been killed. I appreciate your service and every American should. Thank you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom