Stabilizing Small Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjad57

Looking for recommendations.  I have a single axle KZ Sportsmen, 2013 model year, 14 foot travel trailer.  It has 4 stabilizer jacks, one on each corner.  With the jacks down and the wheels chocked, there is still quite a bit of sway front to back and some sway side to side,  I realize that the frame of a travel trailer moves a bit for towing.  I would like to reduce the sway while camping.  Your input, ideas and recommendations are appreciated.

You might try putting more blocks under the tongue jack.  That will shorten how much you have to extend the jack, giving your setup less "play" at the tongue.

Also make sure the chocks are solidly against the wheels to get rid of any "slop" there.  I give each one a good kick with my heel when I'm setting up.

I always put my rear jacks down first then lift the tongue jack up a little to put more pressure on the rear jacks than I could by just cranking them down by hand then put the front jacks down and take some weight off the tongue jack to put more weight on the front jacks. Use the tires as the pivot point and the tongue jack as the lever. Be careful though some stabilizer jacks aren't supposed to hold the entire weight of the trailer so just find the happy place between jacks hand cranked down and completely holding the tires off the ground.

I think he would have a hard time using X-chocks on a single axle trailer. The technique of using the tongue jack to put more on the back is what I have always done.

halfwright said:
I think he would have a hard time using X-chocks on a single axle trailer. The technique of using the tongue jack to put more on the back is what I have always done.
LOL......Oops!

You might try a set of aftermarket scissor jacks just in front or just behind the wheels. That is what I do on my single axle TT.  Another forum suggested Rock No More - http://www.rocknomore.com/products.html

Part of the problem is manufacturers usually mount the corner stabilizer jacks so they're all pointing in the same direction - crosswise to the frame.  If you grab the bottom of a partially extended scissors jack and tug at it, you'll see it moves back and forth more easily in one direction than the other.

One manufacturer tried mounting each corner jack at a 45 degree angle, so the handle ends point towards the outside corners instead of straight out from the side.

I don't know if your jacks could easily be changed to this configuration, but it is one way to make the jacks more stable.

Just browsing the forum today and ran across this thread. Just spent the weekend at Rocky River Resort (down home) and noticed a couple of campers with support ideas that might help. First was a unit about 28' and sat a little high like my Layton 253. He had placed 2 12" pieces of railroad tie under his scissor jacks so they didn't have to extend very far down to support the trailer. The more you have to extend the jacks, the more they are prone to wobble and sway. His were tight!! The other unit next to his had a set of Universal RV stabilizers under it. He used one on each side along with X-chocks (tandem, of course) and it was rock solid. He said the stabilizers made a world of difference, easy to set up and put up and were light weight. My Layton is a high rider of sorts and the Universal stabilizers looked like a good idea. The fella with the pieces of railroad tie pieces just threw them in the truck when he heading out and unloads them when he gets home. Keeping the scissors jacks from having to extend much makes a huge difference. Also on our old 77 Layton we had used the old screw jack stands that you carried around with you. They are actually more stable than the scissors jacks and you can add a couple more if you need them. Good luck and safe travels. :D

There are several aftermarket companies that offer permanently installed stabilizers.  Once jacks are down and level, you just tighten the knobs and you are nice and stable.  We have been using ours for 7 years and wouldn't be without them.  Hugs, Di

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom