Still here, decided to just start new thread

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had 3 tacos and 2 sopapillas...

You bring back some memories:
I lived in Albuquerque for 11 years, and every place I ate in NM with Mexican food served sopapillas with the meal, vs. most other areas I've been that treat sopapillas as a dessert. Guess I got spoiled on New Mexican-style food, as I find few places elsewhere that I enjoy the Mexican food as much. Glad you enjoyed your meal.

When I lived in ABQ, Mt. Taylor (just north of Grants) was quite visible from my house, and we had some really superb sunsets. The stretch between Gallup and Grants is one of my favorite scenery areas, especially shortly before sunset, with the rich reds added to those sandstone walls. I'll never forget one evening back in the mid-'70s, when I was flying a light aircraft from ABQ to Gallup (just a couple of thousand feet up), and the sun was setting as I was west of Grants -- one of the most gorgeous sights I've ever seen anywhere, even from the ground in that area.

>>I can't remember the last time I had Spam, mom used to cookit sometimes, didn't even realize they still made it.<<

Not only do they still make it, they have a great museum.... http://www.spam.com/spam-101/the-spam-museum

so far uneventful trip, hope it stays that way.

we got east of Amarillo today, supposed to be high winds tomorrow, they were high enough today.  I would get out and it was all I could do to get the door shut again.

I was beginning to think I made a big mistake not stopping there as this is a desolate tract.But at McLEan, tx exit 135' I found a couple of campgrounds, we are the only ones in it so far.  Not many folks going back east and north.

We are going through, Oklahoma tomorrow to Joplin Missouri, then across to sikeston from there up 57 to 64 to 41.

Looking at the weather, hope it holds, guess it was almost 70 here today.

the sights along 40 are sure prettier then 10, it's just blah.

a lot more hills to pull.  I told Tom one day the engine had gotten to 190 degrees pulling a hill and I was worried, he said well normal operating temp for a diesel is about 180. this  one only runs about 150 normally, same with the tranny so I thought it was to hot.

Pardon all the typos, this is on my iPad and sometimes I hit things wrong then can't correct it.

I had one that it downshifted on, only because I got caught by slow running semis  and lost my momentum, they were hogging both lanes.  Maybe I would have anyway but I will never know.

We are holed up east of Amarillo in a tiny RV park.
the area we need to go through has warnings of 60 mph winds.  It has blown so hard here last night woke me up and we rocked and rolled the rest of the night.  I hope it doesn't take anything off the roof.
by 3PM is supposed to ease up, think we can make it home in 2 more days I hope.

I am trying to cut sue Anne and I off sodas it needs done but about like smokers I guess she is suffering caffeine withdrawal worse then me.  I think it's part of what makes me sick at my stomach so much.  it will be a good thing for both of us.

Home will still be there if it takes an extra day Carolyn.  Please travel safe!  Glad you stayed put today.  :)

Carolyn-

I'm up here in Northern IL, not too far from your home in IN.  We had the same warnings of 60 mph winds and I can tell you they are real.  On my drive into work today in my Toyota Camry, the wind was blowing me all over the place.  I was thinking how thankful I was that I wasn't in my MH.  The winds are gusty rather than steady, which makes it even worse.

The wind blowing wears me out, I stopped a lot yesterday too.

This morning I left Joplin, Missouri and it didn't start out well, but then it laid most of the day.  I have been nervous about driving around St Louis, worried about it yesterday.  I got to the I 270 bypass and picked up the north instead of south, I thought I was in trouble, had intended to jump onto I 255 after that up to 70.  Well it worked out well I went directly into I 70, didn't know they had a new bridge there.  Traffic wasn't super heavy or I would have had an awful time trying to keep in the correct lane, I just couldn't see anyother way to go.  It was ok afterall. 

I was looking at the weather coming in tomorrow night and didn't want to be in that so wanted to get in this evening or in the morning.  Well it turned out good and I drove 70 almost all the way from St Louis, I was flying low, He! He!  The old gir did herself proud, she wanted to go a little faster but I said no!  I used my pacbrake on the downhills, lots of those in Missouri and only once did she get to 71.  I will not drive over 70. Most of the time between 65 and 68 actually but not today.
We made it in with it dark about 12 miles from the house. 

I decided we didn't want stuff freezing so Sue Anne and I unloaded for an hour, I had nothing to winterize with tonight so I hooked up electric so the furnaces could run tonight.  I had the propane tank filled this morning.  It says its to get 12 tonight but I don't think so its only 43 now.  I have looked at that forecast twice doesn't look right, but better safe then sorry.  So the motorhome is snugged to the house till I get that done, unhooked the air and brake stuff from the tow car but pooped out.  I wish I had finished, it hate to do that stuff when its miserably cold.

Anyway we are home safe and sound, had a great time, spent WAY to much, but oh well such is life.  In the end probably all we will have is our memories anyway, I want to make sure we have some good ones.

So hope to see many of you down the road somewhere later.  By the way everyone including me is worried about the 10 year coach rule.  I guess campground owners didn't look real good at my couch as the front bottom half to me looks pretty rough, I had lots of compliments on it.  I can't believe that, they realized it was old.  So if your couch is old like mine but cleaned and I need more wax but waxed I don't think you will have problems, I didn't anywhere and stayed in lots of KOA's.

PatrioticStabilist said:
By the way everyone including me is worried about the 10 year coach rule.

We traded our 21 year old 1993 Itasca Suncruiser in January of 2013. We stayed at many, many RV Parks during the last 11 years of ownership and never had a single problem with the 10 year rule. Our coach was not very shiny with the fiberglass somewhat oxidized but it was clean and not beat-up. The RV Resort where we spend our winters has a 10 year rule and we have spent the last 16 years of ownership in this park with no questions asked. Every year we have to fill out a parking pass request for both the car and motor home. If any one ever looked at the fact that we were grossly over the 10 year rule, they never mentioned it to us and to the best of my knowledge, they never came by our site to look the motor home over.

I think the 10 year rule is vastly over blown. I think it is there ONLY to be selective, if desired, in who the park allows to stay. There are some exceptions but our experience has been that they are far a few between. We stayed in one park in Texas that had a separate section for "the elite" and they did enforce the ten year rule, In fact, they would not allow non-residents to even drive into that section. This is the only time in our 29 years of motor home owner ship that we were even aware of the 10 year rule, except for our present winter home park.

IMHO, there are a lot more important things to worry about than the 10 year rule.

R

When I saw the weather yesterday I was worried about where you were so very happy to hear you and Sue Anne are home safe and sound.  Please tell Sue Anne I said hi.

ArdraF

I need to get busy, got 5 gallons of waterline antifreeze, want to be sure to have enough.

Picked up groceries.  I scored SMELTS!!  Wahoo!  Rarely find them.  The lady at Krogers said she doesn't order them very often as people don't buy them anymore but she also said they are really hard to get anyway.  Mom used to cook them all the time in the spring.  The fish lady said anymore most young women only buy stuff that can be microwaved, I understand that.  Us old gals that still cook I think are getting rare.  Not to say some young folks don't, but more don't then do I think. Now getting Sue Anne to eat them, used to love them, now says I don't know mom.  At first she wanted to pick out the bones, I said oh eat them they are good for you.  So I got her eating the whole smelt.  I need to quit, will make myself sick!!  Now if I could find good pickled pig feet again, sigh, I'm so out of sync with things nowadays. 

Sue Anne had wanted to come by and see you and Jerry again, but we got busy and didn't make it.  She said they are such nice people mom.  So Sue Anne says Hi!

I've got to get up and go out and winterize that motorhome and I'm being lazy. 

Sue Anne had wanted to come by and see you and Jerry again, but we got busy and didn't make it.  She said they are such nice people mom.  So Sue Anne says Hi

Did Sue Anne tell you she decided I would make a good sister?  When we were at the Bellagio, you and Jerry were talking and she came alongside, took my hand, and said she'd always wanted a sister and would I be hers?  Of course I said yes.  I'm sure the idea you would have a daughter my age never occurred to you, so hi Mom!  ;)  Anyway, it was our pleasure and I'm sure we'll see you down the road.

ArdraF

Hum, now that's interesting, ok, so Hi Daughter, Ha! Ha!

Well the old girl is winterized, took the plug out of the water heater, flipped the pressure relief, turned the bypass knob.  Tom's little deal works good.  I turned on the knob he added, put the tube in a gallon of the pink stuff, went in and turned on the water pump, took a few minutes but here comes pink stuff.  The first gallon must have filled the lines and some came out in the kitchen, then I went to the bathroom and got pink out of everything including the toilet.  Dumped some down each drain and flushed the toilet again, had to change jugs outside and turn off the pump, back in put half a gallon in the washer and ran the drain selection, poured some more in there, so used 4 gallons, have one left.

Turned off furnaces, and sniffer, put her away, plugged in battery minder.  She needs cleaned up, everything checked, Tom said he will likely  just change the oil even though its not the recommended 6000 miles.  He is a fanatic about changing oil and filters, but we haven't ruined any engines either so I'm not saying anything.  Back in our early years we always bought used cars.  They served us well but he maintained them too. 

I picked up BJ, I told MIL doesn't he kind of have aroma of skunk?  She said oh he might have met one out here!  Well he is lucky he didn't meet it closer.  He must not have been very close when it let go but its there.  He is going for a bath this week.  I don't know what she would have done if he had got it up close and personal.  He looks really good, and honestly though she doesn't want a dog I can see her not being so dull when she keeps him.  I know she pets him and talks to him because he gets up next to her and she rubs his back.  But he was glad to see me, I let him out more, he has been out and roaming the yard but has been in so much I think he gets cold now.

Ok, now I can start on the taxes I had to come home to do, oh happy day. I've got till Friday to get them done and emailed, I can do it, not involved this year.

So talk to all of you later, end of our saga for now.

Next I'm thinking of the Escapees driving deal in northern Indiana, and going to the factory and getting a new fresh water tank.  But that's May or June at least.

They are saying 8 degrees tonight, then it looks like we are going to have sleet and snow.  This is some winter, I guess
its 30 degrees or more below normal temps for this time of year.

We are in all snug and warm.  Topped off on food.  Sue Anne and I got our hair all trimmed up, got our taxes done and am
dealing with some requests for additional info.  Now trying to get MIL's together, we will be taking over all her finances soon, she agrees thankfully.  I hope at 86 I'm doing half as good as she.  Think she was glad to see us has been over a few times since we are home.  That's ok, I have Sue Anne for company, she has no one.  It was good she had BJ, that helped her I'm sure.

We are chatting about possibly going somewhere in March before Tom comes in but if we do may just take the car for a few days instead of unwinterizing, rewinterizing and all that yet. That's a lot of work for me. I definitely prefer the motorhome though, then again we may just stay home till May.

Good thing I couldn't reach Tom through the phone today, he was teasing me about it being 96 there.  Not good to do to a cold woman in the frozen north!!  Grrrr!

I'm certainly glad we came home when we did.  It would have been a nightmare out in this, we would have been stuck out there somewhere, much more comfortable here.

I got everything in garages or put away since I got home, my errands run, paperwork caught up, and haircuts!

While the weather is far from ideal, its 14 now and they are saying 9 tonight, alls well as we are tucked in.  Tom recommended I fill up fuel cans, we have a couple of generators, well 3 including the motorhome we could use if
we have to but I really don't think that will be necessary.

I am really wanting to see spring this year but listened to a weather review on tellie this afternoon and sounds like all of March may be colder then normal.

Oh well it will be summer soon enough and then I can complain about all my grass mowing.

Everyone be careful out there and if you aren't in a warm climate, be careful and stay safe.

Be careful, I heard it wasn't so great down there either.

Today is to be 35 a regular heatwave.  I had to get out yesterday and ran up to the next big city, had a lot of errands, plus I just can't stand sitting around at home for long.  If I can be outside I'm ok.

Today to the eye doc for Sue Anne and I.  I'm going stir crazy, I like to be outside and working at something physically, staying inside like to kills me.  I have cleaned Sue Anne's room, closet, drawers, sorted and pitched.  Went to the basement and vacuumed and cleaned and sorted some stuff, have more to do down there.

Yesterday came home and took apart and cleaned the fridge side of the fridge, need to go through the freezer section.  Having trouble sleeping at night, just antsy.  I just don't know how folks sit down and don't do something, my folks were the same way. 

I think when I get home today I will break out some sewing.

Got the ingredients for Sue Anne's birthday cake.  I saw one on facebook that is so cute.  It's a double layer lemon cake with lemon icing, she likes lemon.  Then you put the marshmallow peeps easter bunnies all around it, that one had M&M's piled on top but I couldn't find the easter colored ones so bought a bottle of the confetti candy flakes, think that will make it cute.  I saw they had edible easter basket straw with little bunny flakes and almost got that.  I may get some for a cake at another time.  I'm not paying $40 for a cake that doesn't even taste that good. and birthday cakes now are outrageous even the smaller ones.

I hope the rain lets up, think it is ahead of you and its bound to warm up.  Sue Anne is already after me about when we are going to head out again. She has all kinds of plans. Santa Claus land Indiana, are there museums up north, have we been to eastern Indiana?  Where is a flea market, I have told her about amish here so she wants to know when we can see those areas, she found there are hot springs in Indiana, I think at Baden Baden, not sure if its still there, pushy little sort. She can find all kinds of stuff to see and do on her computer.  I need to get the new fresh water tank in first, that's not very convenient to not be able to use it.  And to get the work done I'm sure I need to make an appointment and unload the bays before taking it up.  It's to cold and miserable to do that.  I also want the compressor checked for my air, it airs up fine and all but seems like it is running louder then I've heard it before when airing up in the mornings before I head out. It drops to about a 100 while driving then back up to 115 pounds when it kicks on. I don't hear it later just the first time when I start up in the mornings after sitting overnight and its dropping air at night so something is going on.

Back
Top Bottom