Strange community names...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I used to sail in the Caribbean I came across a LOT of places with strange names such as: Industrious Hill, Kick ?em Jenny (an underwater volcano), Hard Bargain, Valley of Desolation, Cockroach Cay, Tumbledown Dick Bay, Delectable Bay, Drunk Bay, Sober Island, and Captain Mingo Rolle God Rest the Dead Cay.

Steve

Some pretty strange names in Texas too like Cut and Shoot, Gun Barrel City, and our son recently moved into their brand new house North of Fort Worth on Hayfield.

Dildo, Newfoundland
Ecum Secum, Nova Scotia
Come By Chance, Newfoundland
Tickle Cove, Newfoundland
St-Louis-du-Ha-Ha, Qu?bec
Deception, Qu?bec
Peckers Point, Newfoundland

For Halloween we have in Michigan:

Holy Corners, Hell, Devils Corner, Temperance, Witch Lake,

Spork,

I'm amazed that you would mention the place my parents were married - Accident MD - 80 years ago this last week.  Apparently it was a popular place for eloping couples from Western PA.  Mother showed us the minister's rectory where they married.  There isn't much in Accident and I've always wondered about the name.

Someone else mentioned Paradise CA.  We had a friend who had no end of trouble in the military because his birth name was simply Jack Johnson - it was not a nickname and there was no middle initial.  He said his name was bad enough, but then when he'd tell them he was from Paradise his superiors didn't believe him.

One of the fun things about RVing is the names of the communities we visit.

ArdraF

Bayou Talker said:
How about Booger Hollow, AR? It is more of a tourist stop than a town but it is there.

Yes, a very cute tourist stop.

PhilB

Attachments

• Resized_Booger Hollow 2.jpg
    Resized_Booger Hollow 2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 28
Two come to mind:

"Brief", NC.  Local folklore is that when the US Givernment was establishing Post Offices the form sent out to the districts had the following in front of the line for the name, "List name of community and be brief."

2. Saliva, VA on a backroad between Williamsburg and Fort A.P. Hill.

What a fun thread - I am going to share this with my Dad who was a long haul trucker for 30+ years just to listen to his stories!

Phil said:
Yes, a very cute tourist stop.

PhilB

Great picture Phil. As many times as I have been through there over about 9 years I never took a picture. Have you ever eaten at the restaurant and watched the hummingbirds?

How about Bugscuffle, TX.  This is a little community between Mt. Enterprise and Rusk, TX.  I mean little. 

I've camped at Cut and Shoot.  Shoot, I live about 20 minutes away from it.  The campground there is really nice...highly recommended.  It's called Country Place RV Park.  When you look at the pictures on the website, you know how must pictures don't necessarily tell the tale, well, believe these pictures.  This is one really nice place.

http://www.countryplacervpark.com/

Attachments

• bugscuffle.jpg
    bugscuffle.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 19
My step father use to have a T-shirt that said "Virginia maybe for lovers, but Pennsylvania has Intercourse"  Intercourse, PA is in the heart of Amish Country along with Hopeland, Bird-In-Hand, Paradise, and Blue Ball.  The movie "Witness" was filmed in Intercourse.  Shy Beaver is on the other side of the state near Lake Raystown, which is a great place to camp and fish.  In fact I have a wind breaker from Shy Beaver Bait Shop.

Bayou Talker said:
Great picture Phil. As many times as I have been through there over about 9 years I never took a picture. Have you ever eaten at the restaurant and watched the hummingbirds?

We stopped and took some pictures but, didn't eat there.

PhilB

Barb said:
Another one is Chicken Corners, AK.

If you didn't hear it before, the town (place?) was going to be named after the Alaska State bird, the ptarmigan. The residents couldn't figure out how to spell it so it became Chicken Corners instead  :D

Many of the forum members have been to chicken corners but not in Alaska.  One of the trails enjoyed by many at Moab is ride out to Chicken Corners. ;D

As I drove across Michigan's Upper Peninsula a few years ago I passed a sign near a gas station "Last Gas till Christmas"

And sure enough.. The next town I came to was named Christmas

One of my favourite names is the home town of a friend of mine, it is spelled L'Ardois after the French town, but in true Nova Scotia tradition, we use our own pronunciation, which is "Lord Ways"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom