Struggling with guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
What's the issue with teaching the D chord? In its simplest form:

http://www.ukulele-chords.com/D

I use 2 fingers for the 3 adjacent strings. Smaller fingers might use 3.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you're aware of the multitude of 2- and 3-chord songs. Google will show long lists of them with lyrics and chords.

These kids just learned F. They struggle to go from C to F. We'd also need to have G before D would be useful in the context I need. I'm going to try G with them next class, but right now, they don't even all have F. Going G to D is an even bigger leap. I'm sure it'll be doable in the second half of the year, but at least 6 ukes are left on the shelf at the end of class. G to D is not something you can learn in 30 minutes, one day a week.

I don't even like playing D. We'll probably use D7 when we get there anyway. Stupid smushed up fingering. (my violin background probably plays a role in my bias here)

I do have a curriculum shared from a fellow teacher taking us through about a dozen easy singable tunes to get us through a handful of basic chords and then the Ukulele in the Classroom set to get some scales and melody playing in too. I've started combing through some of the websites with chord charts, but I'm also hoping to work with the songs the younger grades are learning on recorder (as that's also the background the middle school kids have).

Understood. You don't get a lot of time with the kids, and it's not contiguous time either.

We'll probably use D7 when we get there ...

Some forms of D7 are harder for me to play than D (see here). I play a cheater D7, also known as a "Hawaiian D7", that requires just 2 fingers (see attachment).

Attachments

• D7 chord.jpg
    D7 chord.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 28
I was lucky learning how to change from A to D (D to G on the uke) since I learned at the time Gloria by Them was big hit. I spent many hours learning the E to D to A chord progression that repeated endlessly and very fast. I spent hours of my youth practicing it.

Tom said:
Understood. You don't get a lot of time with the kids, and it's not contiguous time either.

Some forms of D7 are harder for me to play than D (see here). I play a cheater D7, also known as a "Hawaiian D7", that requires just 2 fingers (see attachment).

Yes, that's the D7 I'm planning on going with if they can't quite get a good D. Since I'll be using it in the context of pieces in the key of G, a "sort of" D7 will fill the role of Dominant nicely.

Ideally, any performing instrumental class should meet at least 3 times a week, or for a longer class period if it's only twice, but I get what I get and I will give them the best I can with the time we have. I'm really going to try to push for a twice a week music experience for the kids in the future, but the school is currently limited by facilities and schedule. I share the studio with Art and Spanish.

Started reading, interesting story so far.

Finished the book, but was somewhat disappointed. The first 35-40% was merely 'history', and most of the rest covered subjects somewhat superficially. Maybe my expectations were too high, based on the celebrity status of the author and the orchestra he plays in. I suppose I'd have a different perspective if I hadn't been playing (or trying to play) the ukulele for 5 years.

I was not disappointed since I know what to expect from books about music. They can only teach you so much. I just finished it yesterday also. Near the end is a list of uke players to check out so I have been on YouTube checking them all out. I love music from the 20s and 30s and there is a lot from that era.

Back
Top Bottom