suggestions on Iphone apps for the fulltimer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobinsBill

We are trying to get all of our preparations done in order to head south for the winter...  We are looking for suggestions on handy apps for traveling for our Iphones.  What do you use?

A 100 or so apps.  ;D 

The most useful RV related are probably Allstays, Passport America, and Gas Buddy.

Thanks Jeff, I have the passport america...  So, the Allstays? The 9.99 rv and camp specific one?

RobinsBill said:
Thanks Jeff, I have the passport america...  So, the Allstays? The 9.99 rv and camp specific one?

Yes, it an easy app to use on the road and seems to be quite accurate.

Another voice here for Allstays.

CoPilot Live is a very nice GPS / mapping app that also incorporates the features of GasBuddy. Plus, it will list fuel prices along the intended route.

SAToolz uses the phone's GPS, compass, and camera to check for obstacles blocking a clear shot at the satellite.

Next Exit lists all the services at upcomming Interstate exits.

Joel

You might want to look at Allstays Truck & Travel along with the Camp & RV.  Nice to find truck stops to refuel at when towing.

Allstays

Gas buddy

State road conditions and travel info for the spots you are.

Keyring - keep all your frequent shopper numbers on your iPhone and trash the cards.

Find My Car - nice to know where you parked the RV.

Apps for your favorite restaurants

Audobon guides if you're into flowers, birds, trees, mammals, scat, etc.

Geocaching - possibly THE best RV hobby ever.

Oh Yes! Geocaching! And I'll have to check and see if there is an app for letterboxing, another good one!  :D

Is there a GPS / mapping App that that keeps your route away from places you shouldn't be driving a motorhome?  For example driving under an overpass that is too low  :eek:, or a road too rural and winding sharp corners?  I have this fear...

Garmin and Rand McNally both sell GPSs for RVers, in which you can put the dimensions and weight of your RV (toad, too). You can also get POI add-ons for some GPSs that tell you about a low bridge, etc. That being said, their greatest accuracy and completeness will be on state and federal highways (there might be something missed), but on other roads they're less likely to have complete data. A paper copy of the Trucker's Atlas can also help you find areas to avoid.

But in the end, you must still maintain vigilance for spots missed by the above -- road signs are SUPPOSED to be posted for clearance and weight problems, but there's never a guarantee. However that Mark One Calibrated Eyeball can be used (after calibration, of course), and is a vital tool for avoiding low/tight spots in gas stations, parking lots, city streets and other locations, even the areas the electronics are supposed to help.

And if you get to a spot you question, in spite of the above help, don't hesitate to get out and look more closely before entering the area -- it's cheaper that way.

Look for one called RV Parky. It's $1.99 in the App Store, but it's worth evry penny when looking for an RV park.

Everyone has made some great practical suggestions.
Here's one for the frivolous...  :)
"Skyguide" is geat for sitting outside in the evening. Perfect for the armchair astronomer who has no fancy telescope.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom