Surge protection Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art In Mobile

If I install a surge protector, hard wire (50 amp) on my Voyage and plug into 30 amp Will I have protection at 30 amps? I don't have the schematic to check it out. Thanks Art

The surge protector doesn't know or care about the source, whether it's 20,30 or 50A as Paul says.  It only looks for spikes, and over/under voltages.  You'll be protected.

I know this may be a dumb question but looked in the library on this subject.  They talked about an outside surge protector that is available.  Since I would have no idea how to install one on the electrical compartment, does anyone know a brand and where available.  Know it would have to be weather proof.  It may be easy to steel but much easier for me to use.  Cashion

Surge Guard is one of the best known and highly respected brands.  Available at Camping World and numerous online sources.
http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard

Some other brands are Power Master and Smart Surge.

Forgive my ignorance but what does an external surge protector do?  Do the batteries serve this function?  The only stuff that I absolutely cannot afford to lose is the data on the hard drive in my laptop and in 20 years of traveling with it, I've never had a surge that bothered it as long as the coach batteries and the laptop battery were in the circuit along with the proper fuses, etc.  BTW, I always backup the data to another drive and on-line storage whenever there is a broadband access.
thanks, G.

It would protect appliances on the 120VAC side of the RV's circuitry:  A/C, microwave, fridge, converter, etc. 

If we are talking about a surge guard of the brands mentioned earlier, they provide more than surge protection to the MH.  They monitor the voltage and shut off the electricity if the voltage exceeds the upper or lower limit.  It also checks for proper connection of hot, neutral and ground.  Nice to have if there is a problem.  I bought one shortly after I had a surge induced fire in the electronics of the MH, 2TVs and satellite boxes and a couple of other things that had voltage on them even with the switch in the off position, i.e., keep alive voltages.

The only thing a surge protector can do, is to protect sensitive solid state (low tolerance to voltage drops or spikes) components inside a power supply that powers electronic devices such as TV's, computers, , radios...etc.etc. Pretty much everything you connect at your home 115v outlet that has to be brought down to 12VDC. Many people forget that all of the devices mentioned above, work on low DC voltages and they need an internal power supply to bring down and convert 115VAC into DC, pretty much like your power control unit on in your RV.

cashion said:
I know this may be a dumb question but looked in the library on this subject.  They talked about an outside surge protector that is available.  Since I would have no idea how to install one on the electrical compartment, does anyone know a brand and where available.  Know it would have to be weather proof.  It may be easy to steel but much easier for me to use.  Cashion

i am have been using the progressive industries inline surge protector continuously for about a year with no problems. i got mine for about $110 from vancouver rv.

In the Camping World  annual catalog,  there is a 25% off coupon for surge protectors.
Runs from June 16 to July 6.  I need one and am waiting to save as much as I can.

Coupons are located inside the back page.

Have a great day
Jim

OK, great info especially about the coupon.  Will request a catalog today.  One more question.  Would a Surge Guard RV Voltage Regulator be better or would they both no protect against a surge in power.  See the one on below link.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/surge-guard-rv-voltage-regulators/7507

Can't decide between this and the one on the link that you sent.  This one says it is able to increase voltage by 10% if needed to safeguard appliances.  Lost electrical in the pop-up we had during a storm and don't want that to happen to RV.  Cashion

cashion said:
OK, great info especially about the coupon.  Will request a catalog today.  One more question.  Would a Surge Guard RV Voltage Regulator be better or would they both no protect against a surge in power.  See the one on below link.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/surge-guard-rv-voltage-regulators/7507

Can't decide between this and the one on the link that you sent.  This one says it is able to increase voltage by 10% if needed to safeguard appliances.  Lost electrical in the pop-up we had during a storm and don't want that to happen to RV.  Cashion

That $700 surge and voltage device has a transformer in it to raise low voltage to an acceptable level within its operating limits (10%). the plain surge guard will shut off power when voltage gets too low or there is a voltage/amperage surge, such as in a storm. naturally the $700 unit is better than the $100 unit. the $700 unit would also shut off power during a storm if necessary. surge protectors shut off power before damage occurs to the rv systems. voltage regulators adjust the voltage up or down a necessary. i need basic protection from surges and low or high voltage so i am using the $100 unit. :)

This is the portable version of a surge protector that also makes sure the incoming power is correct voltage, polarity, etc.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/portable-surge-guard/2279

and this is the one that has surge protection only - no protection from low voltage or improperly wired outlets:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-30-amp-gfci-surge-guard-with-shock-shield/18337

Progressive Industries is another well-regarded manufacturer of these power protection systems.
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

Personally I don't bother with the voltage regulation type units but I do have powerline monitoring (shuts off on low/high voltage or wiring problems) and surge protection.  The more sophisticated the electronics and appliances in the RV, the more you have to lose due to electrical problems.

Hi Guys

We are having a discussion about Surge Protection in the UK at present.

As nobody makes the type of portable (or hard-wired) devices found at CW, we are looking at DIN rail connectors.

One such can be found at http://www.citelprotection.com/citel/DS210DC_details.htm

Could you wire one of the above in at less cost than the previous solutions mentioned?

Paul

I am not intending to change this thread but my portable portable SurgeGard has bit the dust after six years of use (case warped, cracked and took on water).  Have been researching and have settled on the Progressive Industries Hard-Wired 50amp protector.

My question is whether to get the LC-HW50cC or the HW50C, the difference being the Remote Display, there is about a $50 to $60 difference in price.  If I do go with the remote Display can I use the existing telephone jack in the Power Compartment instead of running what looks like telephone wire from the power compartment.

I have always used a Surge Protector but am wondering if I am being redundant in that the MH has an EMS system for load shedding.  Does the installed EMS have surge protection???  I have a 2007 Monaco Diplomat.

I know I rambled but will really appreciate your input.

We have the HW50C with the remote display and find it's invaluable for monitoring our power and for load management when on reduced power. You don't need the load management as you have the EMS but for keeping an eye on your power quality, it's well worth the price.  It will also give you an error code if for any reason, it shuts off the power, so you know where to look for the problem.

We used the existing telephone wiring to hook up the display but then you can't use the wiring for a telephone line without disconnecting the display.  You do need to use the correct cable to connect the HW50C to the jack as it's not a standard telephone cable.

You are probably better off using a separate phone cable for the display. The jack in the bay doesn't help cause you need to run the display cable from the jack on the unit anyway and likewise on the other end.  And if your existing cable isn't a 4 conductor it won't work anyway.

I find the remote display handy. If the protector shuts the power off you want to find out right away "Why" and the display makes it easy.  I've encountered quite a few 30A power sources with reversed hot & neutral or no ground, so it's not a rare thing to be doing.

Back
Top Bottom