Taking a trailer to the mountains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmhlam

I am new to pulling a TT and am planning a trip from Houston TX area to Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, etc. Will be pulling a 2018 Sonic SN234VBH, GVWR of 5200 lbs., with a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk. The Jeep has a 5.7 Liter V8 with a towing capacity up to 6800 lbs. The Jeep's gross weight is 6500 lbs. I have a  10K RB FastWay e2 2 point sway control hitch. I have currently only pulled the trailer from north TX to around the coast. Never driven in high altitudes or mountains. Any advice or recommendations is helpful. Also can this even be done with my equipment safely. Thank you! 

That's a nice TT. But I am not sure if you will enjoy rowing it in the higher elevations of Colorado  There are some 10 degree grades both up and down. IS you jeep equipped with an additional electric breaking system along with a two haul feature?

My son bought a '20 Coleman 25' overall length trailer and pulled it or should I say "tried" to pull it to the mountains in Az with his Jeep Grand Cherokee.  He didn't make up the the mountain because it was too much trailer.  He towed it back home, sold the Jeep and bought a Yukon.  He's very satisfied with the combo he has now.

It should be fine but will need patience at high elevation, gear down and take your time. Same thing with descending, gear down and go easy on the brakes. Don't ride them, snub firmly to get the speed down then get off the pedal. I got behind one the other day, the trailer brake lights were flashing on and off all the way down which is a good way to overheat them.

Boat Addict said:
That's a nice TT. But I am not sure if you will enjoy rowing it in the higher elevations of Colorado  There are some 10 degree grades both up and down. IS you jeep equipped with an additional electric breaking system along with a two haul feature?
I do not know if my Jeep has that equipment. I did add a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Trailer Brake Controller though.

As others have mentioned, the devil is in the downhills. You will have plenty of company in the slow lanes going up if you have trouble maintaining highway speeds, but the last thing you want is for the trailer to swap ends with the tow vehicle on the way back down. Excellent advice to keep your speed down from the start of the decent, and not put yourself in the position of having to loose a lot of speed halfway down a steep grade. Start slow and downshift to let the transmission help slow you down and try not to ride the brakes.

My guess is that your Grand Cherokee is going to labor mightily climbing some of the steeper grades but should get the job done if you are patient.  Downhills require caution no matter what the tow vehicle or equipment.  Make sure you cross the top of any grade at a low speed, no higher than you want to travel down the hill.  Downshift to a lower gear to utilize engine braking and be careful about overheating the brakes by riding them all the way down. Instead of steady brake pressure, press the pedal firmly for several seconds and then release, giving the brakes a moment to cool.

You have excellent quality towing equipment but you will be asking the GC to perfrom at the outer edge of its capability. Don't expect miracles!

When we had our 5th wheel (37?, triple axel) pulling with 3/4 ton Dodge, 2wd, single cab, Cummins diesel with a Cummins installed engine brake. Their were some grades out West I struggled a bit to get Up but going downhill was a breeze. Third gear (truck had a 5 speed manual) with engine brake engaged we never got over 35 mph and never used the foot brake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sieldenchannel
Back
Top Bottom