taking out carpet in cockpit//flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjboheme

hey there!
new to this forum. been reading for 2 hours now!
we have a 1999 ultra, 30 foot rv.
it has carpeting in the front, under the seats and underfoot. we want to take that out.
has anyone done that?
is it as simple as just ripping it out and then purchasing foot rugs? or does this floor have to be refinished
so it looks "normal", like a normal car?

thank you!

use a utility knife and get a bunch of replacement blades. lots of folks that install hard surface use some rugs in various places in the coach. In ours, we have some rugs over our maple floors. I have nothing under my feet except the wood.

The subfloor under the carpet will not be finished in any way - it will be plywood or chip board, probably with surface cracks or gaps, and full of dirt, staples, etc. You will probably want to patch it, and maybe cover with something else (e.g. sheet vinyl) to provide a decent surface. Then you can put throw rugs or foot mats over that.

This is very surprising.  The cab section of a class C floor has wood under the carpet?  The RV manufacturer took a Ford E450 frame and cab and added an RV on its back.  I have not pulled up mine yet but did not expect to find wood under them, expected metal floor board like a car or truck.  Aft of the cab in a Class C, I agree whole heartedly.  Now I need to know, hmmm.

My Class C cab area had the metal floor under the carpet. It also was screwed and glued in. I did manage to get it all out and replace it with new carpet. The floor underneath had wiring running under carpet that ran from under the dash and under the driver's seat, was also covered in glue and holes from the screws. I can't think of anything other than more carpet that would have looked okay, certainly couldn't leave it bare.

It appears as though there is some confusion as to what you were asking.  Did you complete the Cab area, as that is what you were talking about removing, correct?
  If so, what carpet did you use, and where did you get it?

Also for CNH23.  I see you did yours.  I guess the same questions for you.

Thanks, Bob

kjboheme said:
hey there!
new to this forum. been reading for 2 hours now!
we have a 1999 ultra, 30 foot rv.
it has carpeting in the front, under the seats and underfoot. we want to take that out.
has anyone done that?
is it as simple as just ripping it out and then purchasing foot rugs? or does this floor have to be refinished
so it looks "normal", like a normal car?

thank you!

Back
Top Bottom