Tesla Cybertruck deliveries start November 30th 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viajeros

Just released in time for earnings call. Deliveries start November 30th 2023. No specs and no prices yet. Rumours suggest it will be the mid range version first.

IMG_7688.jpeg

Well, I don't know what those vehicles are in the picture but they certainly are not "trucks".
Heh heh. Well I don’t see a conventional truck camper being installed on one that’s for sure. 😊

Other than that they have a standard box size and a ton of extra lockable storage so it will definitely work for some. Probably pretty handy for lots of contractor type jobs.

Should be interesting to see how people use them.

I'm excited to see, and hopefully drive, one in the flesh...it's certainly been hyped for long enough.

Tule is right, it's not a conventional pickup truck. It's a Cybertruck.

It's like when we took my father in law to an RV resort for the first time with his travel trailer, which he had only used at that point to go stay at lakes in the middle of nowhere, Montana. "This isn't real camping!" he kept saying. Finally my husband says to him something to the effect of, you know what, you're right, it's not camping, and nobody said it was. You'll have to try to enjoy this for what it is, not what it isn't! 😎

I'm excited to see, and hopefully drive, one in the flesh...it's certainly been hyped for long enough.

Tule is right, it's not a conventional pickup truck. It's a Cybertruck.

It's like when we took my father in law to an RV resort for the first time with his travel trailer, which he had only used at that point to go stay at lakes in the middle of nowhere, Montana. "This isn't real camping!" he kept saying. Finally my husband says to him something to the effect of, you know what, you're right, it's not camping, and nobody said it was. You'll have to try to enjoy this for what it is, not what it isn't! 😎
Exactly. I think a lot of people will also appreciate the stainless steel exterior. Dent resistant, easy to maintain etc. It will find a market.

I don’t think you will see high numbers produced for the next 18 months though. Maybe 50,000 next year? The earning calls said the Cybertruck won’t be profitable for 18 months.

I too wonder is this is a tool in search of a purpose, I also worry that it will get hot in the Texas sun.

I too wonder is this is a tool in search of a purpose, I also worry that it will get hot in the Texas sun.
Don’t know about the heat. But other than not putting a truck camper on it it still is pretty much a standard sized half ton truck.

It's gonna be hard to reach over the side into the box to get something. But, might be fun to drive.

It's gonna be hard to reach over the side into the box to get something. But, might be fun to drive.
Could be. But that’s the case with lots of trucks now. They are all pretty high.

And the Cybertruck has a ton of lockable storage. Plus a power tonneau cover. Decent sized front frunk etc. 120 and 240 volt 30 amp power available in the box. Contracters will love it.

IMG_0916.png

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_0867.png

Here is what InSide EVs has to say. While it has it limits in range when towing 11,000 lbs in cold weather, how many other ICE or EV pickup trucks can tow 11K at any range in any weather? I think they should have mentioned that.

And this is worst case, cold and at max towing capacity. Sounds about what should be expected, IMO.

-Don- Reno, NV

Could be. But that’s the case with lots of trucks now. They are all pretty high.

And the Cybertruck has a ton of lockable storage. Plus a power tonneau cover. Decent sized front frunk etc. 120 and 240 volt 30 amp power available in the box. Contracters will love it.

View attachment 168287

View attachment 168288

View attachment 168289
Yeah contractors will love it until they run out of power halfway through the day at a middle of nowhere job site. Then what? Can't send your co- worker for a can of electricity.

Yeah contractors will love it until they run out of power halfway through the day at a middle of nowhere job site. Then what? Can't send your co- worker for a can of electricity.
Bring a generator. But that will take all day, unless only need a few miles. But what is getting a little more common are portable fast chargers:

1706580599050.png

No doubt tow trucks will soon be carrying such stuff, if they are not already in some areas where EVs are very common. With luck, it will be enough to get to the closest place to charge when somebody runs out of juice.

I watched the video. He said the more he drives the Tesla, the more he likes his Rivian. Those were important words to me because someday I could be deciding between these two EV pickup trucks.

-Don- Reno, NV

Yeah contractors will love it until they run out of power halfway through the day at a middle of nowhere job site.
Should not let that happen. With some good advance planning, you should know where you will run out of juice in advance. Say the load you have is taking an average of one KWH per mile when you drive a few blocks or so and your expected speed and conditions. You have a 100 KWH useable battery. You will get 100 miles under the same conditions. Just add in a little safety margin and then you don't even need to look at your SOC% or range left gauges. You can do that in advance.

BTW, Tesla, if you use their navigation system, it will tell you when you may not make it in advance.

For an example, under average normal riding in various conditions I get 7.0 mile per KWH on my electric motorcycles as an average. If cold and a lot uphill, I know to subtract from that and vice versa. 3.5 miles per KWH works for most EV cars. Half that for towing, etc.

FWIW, I do NOT look at range or charge times specs on any EV. I can do my own math and figure it out close enough. Just give me the useable KWH of the battery and its max charge rate for both AC and DC. And total weight carried.

-Don- Reno, NV

I was really talking about if you use the 120v or 240v power for the job as Viajeros referred to. If you have to bring a generator anyway, what's the use of having 120 or 240 available on the truck?

I dont know. People figured out how to read gas gauges. They might be able to learn how to read a battery percentage gauge. Who knows. :). The really smart ones might be able to figure out how to plug it into a supercharger or other charge source. :)

I was really talking about if you use the 120v or 240v power for the job as Viajeros referred to. If you have to bring a generator anyway, what's the use of having 120 or 240 available on the truck?
OIC. I should slow down my reading. I read what I thought you said instead of what you really did say.

-Don- Reno, NV

People figured out how to read gas gauges.
My 2022 ICE motorhome has "miles to empty". I wonder how accurate that is compared to Tesla's range estimate.

BTW, on electric motorcycles, do not ever even look at the range to empty. It's that bad. It only shows the range for the current conditions as you drive. So if you go downhill until half the stated range, there is no chance at all of making it back home on the rest of that charge. And all of the electric motorcycles do it this same way. I have no idea why. It's best to not have it at all, IMO.

IMO, they should just base range on SOC% and nothing else. Still won't be 100% accurate but will be a lot closer.

On my Zero DSR/X motorcycle, I can have the "range to empty" not displayed at all. And that is what I do. It's gets about a mile per SOC% on the average, so that makes a handy range gauge.

-Don- Reno, NV

It’s a pretty big battery. 123 kWh for the regular size. 170 ish kWh for the extended pack. Even a 240 volt compresser would probably not consume more than 10 kWh in a day. A drop in the bucket.

Up here the ford lightning has gotten popular with roofers and flood remediation companies. Lots of high current draws. They love them and no more noisy gas engines. Go home at the end of the day and charge up at home for a small fraction of the normal gasoline costs. And the roofer guys we talked to just had the cheaper smaller 92 kWh contracter lightning. Kinda cool.

And heads up. The electric CAA trucks are getting popular up here in BC and Alberta.

IMG_8075.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom