Tesla Cybertruck deliveries start November 30th 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With some good advance planning, you should know where you will run out of juice in advance.
If I should run out of juice in my MGB, It is easy enough to push to the next gas station on the corner for a 5 minute fill up. just saying!

BTW,
A friend of mine recently had a slight fender bender requiring a rental car during repairs. Car rental company gave her a hybrid car for the expected 2 week repair. She questioned the employee that it was a vehicle that used gas and electric, no charging required. When arriving home she googled the make of the vehicle to find it was electric only with no way to charge that sucker from her apartment. After verbally removing the hide off a corporate executive for being lied to, the company quickly replaced the EV with a gas vehicle at a reduced rate. Seems she had a video of the walk-a-round at the time of rental.

Yeah contractors will love it until they run out of power halfway through the day at a middle of nowhere job site. Then what? Can't send your co- worker for a can of electricity.
I am a retired union electrician. I have been to hundreds of job sites and I cannot recall any site without power. Temp poles are usually everywhere.

I'm brought to mind of David Brooks hilarious read "BoBos In Paradise" Bourgeois Bohemians; the offspring of the guy in the Brooks Brothers suit who runs a bank and the artististic freethinker in jeans and flip flops.
" You know hon, there's no telling how may baby seals won't be clubbed now that we own a cybertruck, that $350.00 Stanley water bottle we bought from the girl who slept outside Target will fit in the cupholder and if either of us knew which end of a hammer hits a nail we could power an entire jobsite with this thing".

I am a retired union electrician. I have been to hundreds of job sites and I cannot recall any site without power. Temp poles are usually everywhere.
I can think of several areas where there is no power available, such as the area near where my buddy lives on the southwest side of Pyramid Lake. No services of any type out there.

Same with my buddy near White Rock, NM who lives out in the forest. Closest neighbor more than a mile away in each case. Closest power lines are many miles away.

Several miles of unpaved road to get to get to either place.

BTW, what areas did you service when you were an electrician?

-Don- Reno, NV

That's not the point. Were there a catastrophic failure of the electrical grid as in for example, a thermo nuclear war, all the generators having been incinerated, you however still need to finish a roofing job, you'd be screwed without a Cybertruck.

I can think of several areas where there is no power available, such as the area near where my buddy lives on the southwest side of Pyramid Lake. No services of any type out there.

Same with my buddy near White Rock, NM who lives out in the forest. Closest neighbor more than a mile away in each case. Closest power lines are many miles away.

Several miles of unpaved road to get to get to either place.

BTW, what areas did you service when you were an electrician?

-Don- Reno, NV
Of course there are areas without power, but most all constructions sites have power.
I worked in southern California.
That's not the point. Were there a catastrophic failure of the electrical grid as in for example, a thermo nuclear war, all the generators having been incinerated, you however still need to finish a roofing job, you'd be screwed without a Cybertruck.
If there is a catastrophic failure of the power grid in a nuclear war the last thing you will be worried about is your truck.

So you're saying a Cyber truck can survive a thermonuclear war? I was always told the only things to survive would be cockroaches and Twinkies. LOL

Living on the gulf coast I am more worried about widespread power outages caused by hurricanes, in the last 20 years we have experienced 3 major hurricanes which resulted in widespread complete power outages, in two cases required me or a close family member drive 100-140 miles round trip to buy gasoline in order to power generators to keep food in refrigerators / freezers cold, etc. These were hurricane Rita, Laura and Delta, for Rita and Laura we were without power at our house for 7 days and were one of the first to get power back, with Delta we were extremely lucky and got it back in only 4 days as the electrical crews that had came in from across the country to help with the Laura recovery were still here (Delta hit 3 weeks after Laura, and came ashore less than 10 miles from where Laura hit). This was at our old house which was located on the same electrical segment as the local hospital and city hall, etc so was high priority getting restored, our new house 3 miles away was without power for 3 weeks after Laura. My late father's house which was 15 miles south of here was without power for 6 weeks after Rita, and the house was nearly completely destroyed in Laura (roof ripped off, large back deck gone, large brick fireplace chimney toppled)

If you're an electrician, the odds are that by the time you get to the job site they already have power, otherwise they wouldn't need you. On the other hand, the guys grading the area and those laying the pad don't start out with power so they need to bring their own. You know, until you or someone like you shows up and connects them. ;)

So you're saying a Cyber truck can survive a thermonuclear war? I was always told the only things to survive would be cockroaches and Twinkies. LOL
And I question whether cockroaches could make it. Twinkies, on the other hand, are forever food.

If you're an electrician, the odds are that by the time you get to the job site they already have power, otherwise they wouldn't need you. On the other hand, the guys grading the area and those laying the pad don't start out with power so they need to bring their own. You know, until you or someone like you shows up and connects them. ;)
I worked on many sites putting in the underground before anything was poured and there was always power there.

~$50,000 to ~ $100,000 based on how much not getting home on a tow truck is worth to you.
I am not interested at all. I was just curious. I saw on one article for a base model which is 2WD is about 60K which so add in AWD and a few goodies it would be at least 20K more than a base model crew cab F150, GMC Sierra, or Chevy Silverado with 4WD. That would be at least 8 years before I would save that much in gas even at the high prices of today and providing I could charge it for free which I could not. Seeing how I am not much into virtue signaling it is a huge no way for me. My guess is that is why there are reports about some auto manufacturers cutting way back on their production of them.

I also have to wonder how much of a drain it is on the battery sitting at work or at home during extreme heat or cold. My guess is that it would drain down at least a little every day which would mean I would be paying to charge it up even when not driving it.

I hear a lot about how they are improving the infrastructure to make these a more viable option but does anybody know what the carbon footprint on creating the infrastructure and how long before it nets out by using EV's. Asking for a friend.

These are good relevant questions, but another one is what will it cost to maintain this infrastructure once it is built, how much maintenance does a charging station need to remain mostly/fully functional, and how often will they need to be re-built. Sure there are parallels with gas station maintenance, pump replacement, etc. my point is that when people talk about cost to build out this infrastructure they never mention cost to maintain and operate it.

These are good relevant questions, but another one is what will it cost to maintain this infrastructure once it is built, how much maintenance does a charging station need to remain mostly/fully functional, and how often will they need to be re-built. Sure there are parallels with gas station maintenance, pump replacement, etc. my point is that when people talk about cost to build out this infrastructure they never mention cost to maintain and operate it.
I guess them telling us they have it under control is supposed to be good enough.

Of course it is.

Then there must have been many where they had no electricity other than generators.

Just probably not in Southern CA where it's difficult to get far from things.

-Don- Reno, NV
I have never seen one. The first thing that happens on a construction site is to put up the temporary power. All of the trades need power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom