Tesla Cybertruck deliveries start November 30th 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my point is that when people talk about cost to build out this infrastructure they never mention cost to maintain and operate it.
Yep. There are many CCS chargers that have been broken for years for various reasons. Reasons such as the older ChargePoints were owned by the property owners and after they are out of warranty, they are too expensive to repair.

Others are by federal grants, that cover the cost of equipment and installation, but no money for maintenance.

Other reasons as well.

I have yet to even see one broken CCS charger that has been repaired in this area. But a lot of new ones are being installed in various areas.

Tesla is the only one who does a great job on maintenance. Out here at least, cannot find any that are broken. And there are many. I think their charging network is what helped Tesla become so popular.

-Don- Reno, NV

. The first thing that happens on a construction site is to put up the temporary power.
Where does that "temporary power" come from?

I mean what do they do to get the "temporary power" out there to the construction site that is 50 miles away from any power source?

-Don- Reno, Nv

I am not interested at all. I was just curious. I saw on one article for a base model which is 2WD is about 60K which so add in AWD and a few goodies it would be at least 20K more than a base model crew cab F150, GMC Sierra, or Chevy Silverado with 4WD. That would be at least 8 years before I would save that much in gas even at the high prices of today and providing I could charge it for free which I could not. Seeing how I am not much into virtue signaling it is a huge no way for me. My guess is that is why there are reports about some auto manufacturers cutting way back on their production of them.

I also have to wonder how much of a drain it is on the battery sitting at work or at home during extreme heat or cold. My guess is that it would drain down at least a little every day which would mean I would be paying to charge it up even when not driving it.

I hear a lot about how they are improving the infrastructure to make these a more viable option but does anybody know what the carbon footprint on creating the infrastructure and how long before it nets out by using EV's. Asking for a friend.
Re draining down just sitting there. Commonly referred to as vampire drain. We typically see a couple percent per week if we go away for awhile. In terms of kWh maybe a couple kWh per week for us. I think it depends on the make and model. Ours is a tesla model Y.

IMG_5730.png

My guess is that it would drain down at least a little every day which would mean I would be paying to charge it up even when not driving it.
Knowing the way Tesla does things, expect a little less than 1% loss per day. Best to leave it plugged in if not being used for a long time (months). If this cannot be done, store it at near a full charge.

The way Chevy does it, expect no loss at all.

When I go on a long RV trip, of my seven EVs, only my Tesla needs to stay plugged in, which is what Tesla recommends as well. My others do not lose anything in a couple of months of not being plugged in.

My Tesla will be set to charge at 0030 hrs to 75% SOC while I am away. It will charge for a couple of minutes every few days or so at 12KW.

A lot goes on in Teslas when it is "off". Including keeping the 12V battery charged to full. IIRC, at 20% SOC it turns many of these functions off so it stops draining the main HV battery as much.

I do not know about the other EVs such as the Rivian truck. But of all that I own, only the Tesla drains down from sitting doing nothing.

-Don- Reno, NV

We typically see a couple percent per week if we go away for awhile. I
Same with my 2018 Model 3. You should leave yours plugged in like I do when away for weeks.

BTW, even though I almost never charge on the road with my EV cars, just yesterday I added CCS adapter support to my Tesla. Did yours come with CCS support? Mine did not so I replaced my charging ECU with one of these thingies:

And now (under Software-additional vehicle information):

1706719419161.png

-Don- Reno, NV

I mean what do they do to get the "temporary power" out there to the construction site that is 50 miles away from any power source?

-Don- Reno, Nv
Until utilities reach the site you could rely on magic or a generator the same as you would if building a house on Mars. Otherwise, 99.999…% of construction sites use a temporary pole.

Knowing the way Tesla does things, expect a little less than 1% loss per day. Best to leave it plugged in if not being used for a long time (months). If this cannot be done, store it at near a full charge.

The way Chevy does it, expect no loss at all.

When I go on a long RV trip, of my seven EVs, only my Tesla needs to stay plugged in, which is what Tesla recommends as well. My others do not lose anything in a couple of months of not being plugged in.

My Tesla will be set to charge at 0030 hrs to 75% SOC while I am away. It will charge for a couple of minutes every few days or so at 12KW.

A lot goes on in Teslas when it is "off". Including keeping the 12V battery charged to full. IIRC, at 20% SOC it turns many of these functions off so it stops draining the main HV battery as much.

I do not know about the other EVs such as the Rivian truck. But of all that I own, only the Tesla drains down from sitting doing nothing.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yet. Our leaf (2016) could go months and only lose 1 percent. Our model 3 teslas was around 4 percent per week. Our model y is closer to 2 percent. If we are gone for over a month we usually plug it in although we forgot last time. I think it list about 9 or 10 percent over a month or so.

Same with my 2018 Model 3. You should leave yours plugged in like I do when away for weeks.

BTW, even though I almost never charge on the road with my EV cars, just yesterday I added CCS adapter support to my Tesla. Did yours come with CCS support? Mine did not so I replaced my charging ECU with one of these thingies:

And now (under Software-additional vehicle information):

View attachment 170843

-Don- Reno, NV
Our model 3 didn’t but our model Y did. We use it a lot. There are a lot more trailer pull thrus or trailer friendly stalls at FLO and BC hydro stations. Plus they are slower so we have time for lunch and a chihuahua walk. It’s too rushed at superchargers for lunch breaks.

IMG_7392.jpeg

-Don- Reno, Nv
Construction sites need power. They can't operate without it. If there is no power for 50 miles then they must bring in temporary power even if it means stringing 50 miles of power poles and wire. Whatever it is this construction site is building it will probably need permanent power also so running 50 miles of poles and cables will get used eventually.
Until utilities reach the site you could rely on magic or a generator the same as you would if building a house on Mars. Otherwise, 99.999…% of construction sites use a temporary pole.
Thank you.

-Don- Reno, Nv
I think Don is asking about a site that is possibly miles from the closest power line. In such a case, there would need to many temporary poles.

I had a friend (R.I.P.) who built a house along the Belize River in Belize, Central America. The closest power line to him was about 1/2 mile away, but to connect to it the power company wanted $30,000US. Luckily he found this out at the beginning of his planning and opted to use the money instead to make his house independent and install a solar system. Besides, if he had spent the money to have the line/poles run the two homes between him and the main road could have tied in for free and not have to reimburse him anything. When he refused to have the line run, they got a little pissy because they wanted the rich American to pay for everything.

I think Don is asking about a site that is possibly miles from the closest power line. In such a case, there would need to many temporary poles.

I had a friend (R.I.P.) who built a house along the Belize River in Belize, Central America. The closest power line to him was about 1/2 mile away, but to connect to it the power company wanted $30,000US. Luckily he found this out at the beginning of his planning and opted to use the money instead to make his house independent and install a solar system. Besides, if he had spent the money to have the line/poles run the two homes between him and the main road could have tied in for free and not have to reimburse him anything. When he refused to have the line run, they got a little pissy because they wanted the rich American to pay for everything.
It’s not at all uncommon for utility companies to charge the customer for routing to rural locations outside the grid. Co-ops were created to offset some of the expenses, but regardless, even though utilities are regulated they’re not obligated to run power lines to your lakeside getaway, or whatever.

So what is your point?
None at all. I am just trying to figure it out, nothing more.

But it sure does sound like your "temporary" means 'permanent' with your explanation of " it will probably need permanent power also so running 50 miles of poles and cables will get used eventually."

The places I was talking about never had any power (AFIK) to build these homes, so I assume generators and such.

-Don- Reno, NV

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom