The midwest and water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaV

Hello -

I bought a used Coachman Leprechaun Class C about a month ago (first time buyer). I live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. Though I've had it out on a couple weekends already, I have not put any water in the system yet - because it was still getting below 32 degrees overnight. It looks as though the 10 day forecast doesn't have anything lower than 32 - that'd bring us to April 16.

How do you decide when to start using water in your unit? Is there a rule of thumb? Date? etc.

Thanks in advance.
Linda

You can look at the weather statistics and find the date of the last average freeze. Or you can do like you did and look at the long range forecast. On the long range forecast, is there any thing close to a freeze?  Most RVs can stand a mild freeze (28-32) that does not last. It is the prolonged freeze below 28 that will burst your pipes. Your mileage may vary. 

Im in the Twin Cities too,,,in Burnsville. Honestly, with the weather as crazy as it has been, who knows when it will be done freezing?  But I really think most of the hard freezing is over now. You could put some water in it, but be ready to empty it if a hard freeze is imminent.

Hello from another Minnesotan.  Congratulations on your Class C.

Last year was our first year of RVing.  We found out the hard way that it doesn't take much to freeze the pipes in our TT especially if the water in the pipes is already cold.  It only took one night of slightly below freezing temps for a pipe in our shower to break last fall.  Our experience is that the pipes in our new TT will not stand up to even a "mild" freeze much less a "hard" freeze.  Actually freezing temps were not even in the Twin Cities weather forecast.

Also remember that temps in the Twin Cities can vary depending on your location.  The weather conditions where cadee2c lives in Burnsville can be very different than the temps in Champlin, where we live. 

The lesson we learned is that we should have winterized earlier or at the very least we should have left the furnace on, put out space heaters, and left the shower door and cabinet doors open.  Even then I think our outdoor shower would be at risk. 

We aren't going to unwinterize or dewinterize (are those words?) for a few more weeks. 

Thanks for your thoughts! I will check out the 10 day forecast this weekend and give it a shot. As with the electric and heat system, I think its best to try it out in my driveway before heading into the woods for a test run. Thanks again!

The extended forecast for my area isn't forecasting any lows below 32 degrees out thru May.  I'm going to de-winterize and sanitize this weekend.  Planning to flush the antifreeze into the holding tanks ... and fill the fresh water tank and lines with a bleach laden sanitizing mix at home on Saturday morning - then drive to a nearby park (about 40 minutes away) sometime mid afternoon.  Figure I'll dump and flush what's will already be on board ... then fill, flush and dump a load of straight water to flush the sanitizing solution out ... and finally fill for with a load of fresh water to start the season.   

We're planning to spend enjoy the evening in the coach as a reward for getting the de-winterizing done ... then drive home on Sunday afternoon.  We're thinking we're early enough in the season that we should pretty much have the place to ourselves ... and won't be in anybody's way while we spend longer than usual at the dump station.  Here's hoping we don't stumble onto any surprises as we'll be firing up the water system for the first time this year!

I dont know about you folks in Champlin, but down here in Burnsville we got snow today.  :eek:

All I do is drive throughout the Western Suburbs.  It was snowing in Chanhassen and Eden Prairie this afternoon, just rain in St Louis Park and Maple Grove.  I'd like to get my trailer up and running but I'm going to wait a few more weeks.  Just booked Lebanon Hills for Memorial day this week though.  Excited!

The next week looks good, but I would empty all lines and tanks when you get home.  One never knows in Minnesota.  I think you will need heat for the week at night and that should keep anything from getting too cold.

The low forecast for Champlin, MN is 34 degrees for Monday.  From our unfortunate personal experience that is a little too close to freezing for us.  After all forecasts are just forecasts and not an exact science. We are going to wait a few more weeks before de-winterizing.  However, we are going to put our snow shovels away for the season.  That usually gives Old Man Winter notice that it's time to move on out. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Mark
Back
Top Bottom