The RVForum Solar Eclipse Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlesinGA

Since we are right at a year away from the total solar eclipse of April 8, 2024 and only a little over 6 months from the Annular eclipse of October 14, 2023, I thought I start a thread on the subject.

While there is lots of information out there, the very best I have found is by Xavier M. Jubier of Antony, France, which is a suburb of Paris, adjacent to Orly Airport.

This web page is a compilation of all (world wide) total or hybrid solar eclipses from 1955 to 2039, all annular solar eclipses from 1984 to 2030, and all partial solar eclipses from 2011 to 2025. For each eclipse you can click on the date and it will open a Google Maps with the track of the eclipse showing the centerline and the band of totality. It is interactive and you can click on any point on the map and a box will display that shows the exact coordinates you clicked on, the beginning and ending times of the totality, the very beginning and ending of the eclipse, the total time of totality, and other useful information. If you go to the link for all eclipses at the beginning of the paragraph, you will also find through explanations of the information bubble. Note that all times will need to be converted to local time, as they are given in Universal Time (essentially GMT or Greenwich Mean Time)

GM_InfoBubble_En.jpg

Here is the link for the map of the October 14, 2023 Annular Solar Eclipse <<<Understand that you will need to click the link to get the INTERACTIVE map.

Annular solar eclipse of October 14 2023.jpg

Here is the link for the map of the April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse <<<Understand that you will need to click the link to get the INTERACTIVE map.

Total Solar Eclipse of April 8 2024.jpg

In planning for a viewing location for the April 8, 2024 eclipse, note that the length of totality is somewhat longer on the south end of the path. For example, in south Texas expect about 4 minutes 26 seconds of totality, vs eastern Newfoundland where it will be about 2 minutes 55 seconds.

For the Annular eclipse of October 14, 2023, the length of "totality" is listed as 5 minutes 2 seconds at Corpus Christi, Texas, while on the Oregon coast it is about 4 minutes 34 seconds.

The only thing I will mention in this first post is to remind you that you will need a safe way of viewing the sun during the eclipse. This is easily done with inexpensive eclipse viewing glasses. Order a whole bunch more than you need so you can give them to all of the people around you, who forgot to get them. (my brother and his wife forgot in 2017 but I had ordered enough extras for everyone.) Make sure that whatever type you chose to purchase, that it meets the most current standard ISO 12312-2:2015(E) for filters for direct observation of the sun, and has been independently certified by a testing organization to meet those standards.

719jOW3tvDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Let us hear your eclipse viewing plans.

Charles

Last edited:
Hoping to be in Texas. Will either fly to Houston and get friends to take us to a good spot, or take trailer.

We saw the last one. I can't recommend it highly enough. I was in tears.

The only thing I will mention in this first post is to remind you that you will need a safe way of viewing the sun during the eclipse. This is easily done with inexpensive eclipse viewing glasses.
I picked up inexpensive welding glasses from Harbor Freight for the last eclipse, and they worked well both for eyes and for placing over a camera lens to photograph the eclipse.

Fredericksburg (wine country) west of Austin should be a good location for next year, April 8. I'm also considering the campground at Crab Orchard Lake National Wildlife Refuge between Marion and Carbondale, Illinois. (no reservations so show up days early). Weather is unpredictable this time of the year, as we all know.

Charles

Greetings,

One thing people might do is take a look at past weather statistics for clear days vs cloudy in the area you want to go to see the eclipse. Some areas are just better weather wise having more clear (sunny) days.

Second thing to do, is have another spot you can drive to if weather changes for the worst so you can see the eclipse.

Anyone wanting to watch the annular eclipse needs to understand there is NO time during the eclipse including the annular part (doesn't cover up the sun completely) should anyone try to view that with naked eye or with optics. A filter is required the whole time.

You can look at the Sun easier when it is partially covered up but it can and will blind people. Take care!

After a fabulous view of totality in idaho for the last one, this went on my calendar 2-3 years ago! I am on a wait list for a spot in Uvalde, just barely into Texas, and I have a confirmed Boondockers Welcome spot outside San Antonio. The other advantage southern Texas has over spots farther north is drier weather, at least on average.

We have reservations for the April 2024 total eclipse at a commercial RV park with a good bit of land just north of Garner State Park near Uvalde, Texas. One thing to be aware of is April is likely to be problematic due to potential cloud cover, the only part of the path that has over 50% chance of clear skies historically is the part in south Texas.

Pricing is rather steep though at $250 per night 3 nights minimum where we have booked at RV Park in Concan, TX | Riverbend on the Frio, UTTransplant, if you are looking for a place in the Uvalde area that may still have vacancies, you might try RV Park & Campground - Float the Frio River - Rio Frio, Texas I had considered staying there, but ended up booking just across the river from them instead in January, as they were not going to start taking reservations until March or April. (their tentative rate was going to be $240 per night when I exchanged emails with them in early January)

Last edited:
I just made it off the wait list for a small campground in Uvalde, TX - Quail Springs Rv Park for the nights of 5-9 April. It is right in the totality range! They haven’t raised their prices yet, but they probably will, and I am ok with that if it happens. And I just ordered a 10 pack of the same eclipse glasses CharlesinGA showed, though I didn’t know it until I came here to crow about my good luck.

I just made it off the wait list for a small campground in Uvalde, TX - Quail Springs Rv Park for the nights of 5-9 April. It is right in the totality range! They haven’t raised their prices yet, but they probably will, and I am ok with that if it happens. And I just ordered a 10 pack of the same eclipse glasses CharlesinGA showed, though I didn’t know it until I came here to crow about my good luck.
Why won’t they tell you what the rates are going to be?

I live about 15 miles south of Forest Ohio and they are preparing for crowds as I understand they are on that blue line on the map.

Why won’t they tell you what the rates are going to be?
Oh, they told us, but I am guessing they will go up as the enormity of the event becomes clear. They quoted us their normal veteran rate - under $40/night. That is what others experienced last eclipse.

Anyone coming to the Indianapolis area, just saw that Indianapolis Motor Speedway is having a viewing event. When IMS has an event, it's epic. I do not know details, but they possibly will have RV parking as they do race events? I did see they were having Food Trucks etc.

We have had reservations at a campground just outside of Waco TX right in the center of totality. They had two spots left on late December and that is perfect for us and another couple going there with us. The cg owner is having a BBQ for the campers. Saw the last one a half hour from home in SC and will not miss the next one!

The only thing I will mention in this first post is to remind you that you will need a safe way of viewing the sun during the eclipse. This is easily done with inexpensive eclipse viewing glasses.
I would be EXTREMELY cautious about buying eclipse viewing glasses from Amazon.

Unfortunately, Amazon has allowed themselves to become rampant with fake and black market goods. (I can personally vouch for this, having been the victim of fake apparently Canon-branded printer ink cartridges, fake "branded" rechargeable batteries, and a fake "branded" LED flashlight.)

During the last eclipse, vendors were selling fake eclipse viewing glasses stamped with fake ISO 12312-2 certification stamps, and some were even reported as including fake test results and the like.

The American Astronomical Society (AAS) has an article on eye safety and a list of reputable suppliers. It is a much more reliable place to start than Amazon.

Last edited:
I have been a loyal Amazon customer for many years and I buy a lot of stuff. Never gotten fake merchandise and Amazon has the best customer service I would not worry about getting something that is fake.

Amazon imports the glasses, same as most other places on that list. More important, is that you use them properly. i.e. "no peeking"!

I have been a loyal Amazon customer for many years and I buy a lot of stuff. Never gotten fake merchandise and Amazon has the best customer service I would not worry about getting something that is fake.
With a product like this, though, how can you tell if it actually conforms with ISO 12312-2 or not? If not, dealing with Amazon customer service may be the least of a person's worries.

Amazon imports the glasses, same as most other places on that list. ...
Except that the AAS has verified those on their list.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom