the saga begins...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KodiakRV said:
Looking good...

What are you going to use for a roof covering?  How are you going to keep rain/snow water from ponding and collapsing it?

The roof will be a dome (like a greenhouse), made with pieces of schedule 40.  Pieces of furring strips will be strapped to the schedule 40 pipe to keep it from racking and add strength.  It won't be a dome the entire length though, it'll stop 5' shy of each end, and dad has a somewhat complicated method of bracing and roofing tricks to do using the furring strips.

Furring strips are 1"x2"x8', very light, and plenty strong enough to hold plastic in place.

Dad's father was a professional roofer, and made a really good living at it because he was good.  All the boys in Dad's family learned proper roofing techniques and all sorts of tricks of the trade.  None of them liked it enough to do it professionally though.  In any case, I defer to Dad on roofing issues.  He insists it will be plenty strong for our needs, and I suspect he is right.

Interestingly enough, wind load is a bigger issue here than rain or snow.  The wind almost never stops blowing, and often gusts quite high even in relatively calm weather.

I haven't yet bought all the materials for the roof.  I'll do that this week.  :)

jim

I was just thinking about your project a couple days ago and wondering how it was
coming along, glad to see your still plugging away, thank you for the reports I am
enjoying this.

ava said:
I was just thinking about your project a couple days ago and wondering how it was
coming along, glad to see your still plugging away, thank you for the reports I am
enjoying this.

Ava, thank you for your reply.  It is good to get feedback once in a while.  :)

And hitting "enter" too soon while editing the subject caused me to post early, so the rest of this is "post edit".  :-\

Today dad and I got out in the blustery cold and put up the 2x4 "studs" centered between each 4x4 post.  These aren't truly studs as there is not a footer to anchor them into.  What we did instead was use posthole diggers to dig about 7" down for each one.  I only measured one hole, and they were all about the same depth on the posthole digger.

I just have to say... I'm still frozen.  The temperature was 48 when we started, wind from the bayside at about 10-15mph, gusting up to 25mph occassionally.  When we finished, the temperature was down to 40, and the gusts were more frequent.

Anyway, each 2x4 "stud" is 14' to 14'6" depending on the lay of the land.  I didn't want to cut any board less than 14', so one hole is slightly deeper.  This way after disassembly, those boards can be reused more easily.

On each of the long sides, there are 4 "studs", and on the front end, there are 2 of them.  Once we got everything screwed together, the entire structure flexes a lot less.

Tomorrow I plan to go get the supplies for attaching the furring strips to each other end to end to make a really long and hopefully sufficiently strong horizontal runner at the 11' height mark and another at the 4' height mark.  I'm hoping dad and I will be able to complete that tomorrow.  Although the forecast includes rain showers, so we'll see.

We also put in some scrap 4x4 into the extra hole in the center of the rear opening.  Originally I planned to build the whole thing as a box with no way to get the motorhome back out without disassembly, but that got modified.  We already had a 32" deep hole though, so we decided to use it.  The final picture shows the top of that 4x4 sticking out of the ground.  Dad has a plan to anchor the tarp for the rear opening to it somehow.  I'm not clear on the details yet, but his ideas usually work out well.

Once the horizontal runners are in place, I will still need to purchase the supplies for the roof structure.  That'll be after next payday and after christmas gifts have all been purchased.  Only one payday between now and christmas.  :(

The roof will be what dad calls a "hip" roof.  Although instead of a central peak, it will be a central dome.  He swears he can make it work, so I'm just going to take his word for it.  After all, he was trained by a professional roofer.  ;D

All in all, I think another 2 weeks or so (assuming we have decent enough weather) will see this finally completed so I can get back to work on the RV.

Pictures here.

jim

Today Dad and I got the 2 rows of horizontal runners put up.  I used 25 or so of the 8' long 1"x2" furring strips, which are really 3/4"x1.5".  I have to say this was some of the easiest construction yet.

We used the existing 2x4 runner at the 8' level as a reference, and measured down 4' to put the first row in.  It was easy work done on the ground.  I did have to move the RV though, as I wouldn't have been able to open the door after putting in the runner.  Climbing into the drivers door is more work than it is worth.

After we got the 4' level one done, we started on the 11'ish level.  We decided instead to just go up 30" from the top of the 2x4 that is at 8', putting it at about 33.5" above 8 foot, or just under 11'.  It evenly split the difference between the 8' runner and the top header.

The weather was cooperative for the most part.  It was in the 50s, and the wind wasn't high at all.  After we finished and rested a bit, I went out to take pictures and it had started to rain lightly.

Pictures are here.

The next thing to do is to build the roof then skin the entire thing.  Buiding the roof will require me purchasing some more materials, so I'll do that this week, and hopefully next weekend will be sufficiently decent weather.

Dad wants more rafters installed, connecting the 2x4 "studs" from each side.  He tells me not to bother with pressure treated though, so I need to pick up 4 16' regular 2x4s.

jim

ArdraF said:
Might I suggest getting rechargeable batteries for that thing?  You're going to be taking a lot of photos and they should help bring down the cost.  ;D

ArdraF,

I ended up getting some rechargeables in october.  It is now the 2nd day of december, and they've only been changed out once.  The regular duracell and energizer batteries barely lasted a week.  The ones in the camera right now have been in for over a month.

Thanks again for the suggestion.  Not only am I saving money, I'm getting more use out of each change of the batteries.  :)

jim

Hurry up! I'm getting impatient!  :D :D ::)

Couple of suggestions.

For your consideration: When you skin it, leave some extra material at the bottom - ground level - a foot or two. Then set a row of bales of straw on the overlap. Helps keep wind from blowing in at that level. Reduces the billowing effect in the wind. Has shock absorbing benefit in gusty wind.

When you buy the skin, try to buy stuff made this year. Sometimes that stuff sits in warehouses, for years. Sometimes the big chains buy large quantities of "distressed" merchandise - stuff they pick up in bankruptcy sales, etc. It's been sitting around, for years. These fabrics "do time," about as well as tires "do time."  :(

Plastic fabric loses flexibility and strength, doing that. Look at the box it comes in. If it is beat up and/or dusty-dirty, or if it has ground in dirty wear spots, it might be pretty old. Try to tear the fabric at a seam and/or crease. If you can do that by hand, the wind will  make short work of it. I had some considerable luck by taping over sharply/tightly creased Visqueen, with clear, reinforced, packing tape. Duct tape might work, but doesn't weather quite as well.

Awaiting next installment.  ;D And, not patiently!  :D

Ray D  ;D

well, not quite as productive of a weekend as I had hoped.  :(

Friday on the way home, I stopped at lowes to get the schedule 40 pipes that I needed.  The ones with UV protection for electrical conduit are significantly cheaper than those for water, so that's what I got.

Turns out the distance from the left rear corner of the trunk of my car to the right front corner of the passenger compartment is just a few inches too short.  I did manage to get about 10 of the pipes in before no more would fit.  So then I had to run them out the front passenger window.  When I got finished, I noticed that the windshield had developed a lovely pattern of cracks.  :( :( :(  On top of that, it started to sprinkle on the way home, and the heat barely offset the cold coming in that window.

I got home and unloaded the car, but was in such a foul mood and was so cold that I didn't work as carefully as normal... I discovered Saturday morning that I left the passenger window down all night, it rained all night, and there's good evidence that one of the cats chose to spend the night inside the car.  :(

Anyway... on to the actual work.  I bought 32 10' sections of conduit.  These have 1 end flared so that you can glue them end to end without a coupler.  So, dad and I glued 2 together, and then set about finding the right length to have a decent arc.  I was wanting to have the dome rise be between 4' and 5', but dad talked me into only having about 3' of rise in the center.  He is very concerned about wind load.  So, to get a 3' rise it is about 17'4" of length needed.  We cut the first section where we had marked, and used it as the reference for all the other sections.  Dad had the idea to take the cut off bit and start with it when glueing up the next piece, and so on.  As if we had just glued it all together then cut the right length each time from that one long piece.  Anyway, we only needed 16 ribs, and had 3 whole and 1 partial piece left over.

After taking a break, I pulled out the furring strips, and realized that they're all cut to exactly 8', unlike most lumber where there's an extra 2 to 4 inches.  So, back to the drawing board for how we're going to attach the furring strips to the ribs.  We decided that instead of perfect 2' spacing, it would be ok to have the rib at the ends of the boards be a little bit closer.  Also, by adding a 17th rib we could accomplish 2 things.  The first was that we wouldn't have a section where 2 boards overlapped 2 ribs, and the second was that we would have an odd number meaning there would be a definitive central rib to align with the center of the length.  So Dad and I glued up another rib, ending with 1 full and 1 partial piece of conduit left over.

So then we started attaching the furring strips to the conduit.  We got one section completed, and most of the second section completed and ran out of washers.  So, a trip to a hardware store or lumber yard was called for.  Since I had no cash, and it seemed stupid to use a credit card for an inexpensive item like a box of washers, we decided to take my truck and go to the lumber yard nearest home (84 lumber), and also pick up 4 16' regular 2x4s for the remaining 4 rafters.  Well, turns out this 84 lumber is doing inventory, so half the store is off limits (with yellow caution tape everywhere).  Also, the only washers they have are galvanized, and the entire selection of fasteners was extremely anemic.  Many shelves were empty or only sparsely populated.  The lumber yard was also rather empty.  I suspect this one is going out of business but they just haven't told anyone yet.

After we got back home, it was rather late and Dad and I were both tired.  We decided to put up the 4 rafters (working in the air) instead of working on the next roof sections (crawling around on damp ground).  So we got that done, and called it a night.

Today, we finished assembling the entire roof on the ground.  I have pictures of this here.  Each 8' section is detachable from the next 8' section, with 4 ribs per section, and the 4th section having 5 ribs.  Hopefully this will be manageable enough to lift into place.

We did lift into place the one section that has the central (9th) rib.  However, the wind was picking up and clouds were rolling in and it looked like rain, so we decided to stop for the day.  Dad then strapped the section down to the rafters so the rain won't blow it away this week.

This week I need to purchase the anchors and straps dad wants installed for wind reasons.  This coming weekend we plan to raise the remainder of the roof, and fasten it down tightly.  The plan is to drill 7/8ths inch holes in the header for the ends of the pipes to land in, then put a screw through the end of the pipe into the header.  On top of that will be a furring strip clamping it down.  It won't be coming loose any time soon.  ;D

Also, we want to run a row of furring strips down the center of the rafters to maintain their spacing.  Additionally, we'll run a few diagonally to strenghten the entire box at the top.  It'll be inconvenient working around them but it will be much safer.

All of that needs to be complete before the first of the plastic goes on.  Skinning this thing won't be easy with the constant wind load we have here.  Hopefully we can do that by the weekend of the 22nd.

Ray, your comments about leaving extra material when skinning the tent are good.  We have been planning that all along.  I'm not sure exactly what we'll be putting on the extra material at the bottom... probably some mulch as we have a few tons of it lying around.

I've also got to remember to leave a couple of extension cords running out underneath the wall before we skin it.  ;D

jim

no update since december 9.  ouch.

Either the 9th or the 10th, I went ahead and put up the center-line furring strips connecting all the rafters together.  Didn't take me long, and I didn't take pictures or report it as I planned to include it in the next weekend's report.

Well, we've had some beautiful weather this month, but seemingly only on days I had to work.  The weekends were basically shot due to bad weather.  This weekend included.  However, today (monday, christmas eve), it was in the 50s and sunny with only a light breeze.

Dad and I got to work shortly after lunch and were done by 3pm.  We put all 4 sections of roof up.  We haven't put the "hips" for the roof up yet, but the entire dome assembly seems to be fairly rigid.  Surprisingly so considering how flexible that conduit is.

We started from the center and worked forward, then worked backward once the front half was done.  We drilled 1.25" holes into the headers for the pipes to set down into.  Each pipe has a single screw through each end down into the wood holding it locked in place.  Each section's joint has been bolted together and tightened.  The motorhome is mostly centered left to right, and just barely inside from the rear.

The next good weather we get we intend to finish putting the roof "hips" on, then we can start putting the skin on.  I've bought 2 rolls of 6 mil 20'x100' black plastic.  The tarp for the floor (so I can find things when I drop them on the ground) and for the rear door have also arrived.  All of that is stored inside the motorhome.

Maybe tomorrow will be good weather.  :)

Pictures here.

jim

Thanks for the report and photos, Jim. Quite a project and you sure have a lot of chutzpah!!    ;D    ;D    Good for you. 

Happy New Year,
Liz

Whew, no updates since christmas eve.  Well, the reason for that is that the weather has been uncooperative, or I've been sick when a nice day would present itself.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, as we seldom get such nice winter weather around here.  Usually it is grey and dreary and often rainy/sleety.

Well, today we finally had a nice day that fell on a weekend.  Dad and I got out there and got the hip end boards for the roof installed.  I also moved the inter-rafter braces from being down the center to being 2 rows approximately located 8' apart, or just above the edges of the motorhome when it is centered.  The reason is that when ducking under the rafters you had to make sure to miss the inter-rafter braces when you came back up.  My noggin has enough lumps already.  ;D

The entire roof assembly is amazingly sturdy.  You can make the whole thing jiggle a bit (yes, like jello) by pusing on it, but that's fine.  Having some flexibility to it will help it deal with the wind load around here much better.

pictures here.

Around 3:30 or so we ended up having to quit.  Everything was done except putting on the plastic, and the wind decided to pick up so we couldn't start that.  tomorrow is forcast to be warmer than today with less wind.  I'm hoping we can get all the plastic skin on in a single day.  It'll be an interesting challenge.

jim

Hi Jim,

My hats off to you on the undertaking of a project of this magnitude. Incredible !!

Count me as one of your groupies following your progress. After reading your entire thread I'm hooked.

It reminded me of one of the projects I under took many years ago when I restored a 70 year old hand hewn log cabin. I was much younger then.

With those memories and after reading all the work you have done I need a nap.

When you are finished you will be the proud owner of a very unique and very special coach. You have my admiration.

Best of luck with your continued work on this project. I await the next installment,
Stan

SCR, thanks for the vote of confidence.  :)

Today was one of those beautiful winter days that makes you think spring is just around the corner.  It got up over 56 degrees, the bees and birds were out, and the cat was making sure to supervise everything going on in her yard.  ;D

Dad and I started to put the plastic on the tent today.  I rolled the roll out and cut it to the length I wanted + some extra for overlap, then started lifting it up the wall.  6mil plastic from 14' up in the air is surprisingly heavy.  Dad and I tacked excess to the top header using his handy air stapler system.  We used the roof of the RV as a scaffold to do most of the length, then used the ladder to finish the other end.

After the plastic was in place, the wind picked up... of course.  But it wasn't too bad and we managed to finish that side.  To help hold the plastic in place, we used the 1x2 furring strips down each leg and across 2 of the 3 horizontal runs.  We ran out of screws and energy so couldn't do the 3rd horizontal near the top.  I don't think it'll be a problem.

One thing is that we're definitely going to need more furring strips, and more screws.  The furring strips are cheap enough.

It took us 3.5 hours to put up the one wall.  One reason it is taking so long is that we have to pre-drill every hole otherwise the furring strips will split.

That black plastic really picks up the heat from the sun too.  While working on one side with the sun shining on the other you could really feel it radiating the heat.

pictures here

Hopefully we've anchored all the edges sufficiently to have it hold until we can do the other side.  After the side is finished, we'll do the front, and then the roof.  By the time we finished this side, we had it down to a good system.  Most of the pieces are consistent lengths, so we can cut a bunch in one shot and have the screws in place while the other person works on putting them into place and screwing them down.  I suspect the other sides won't take as long each.

The roof on the other hand I expect to be a bit exciting.  ;D  especially if there is any wind.

jim

Well, this weekend has been a bit of a bust.

Saturday the wind was gusting up to 20mph, and even when not gusting the steady 10mph was too much for handling a huge sail of plastic.  So, dad and I went to Lowes for supplies.  I bought more furring strips (these things are awesome, light, relatively strong, and cheap), and some fluorescent lamps and some wiring, outlets, switches, and boxes so that I can light up the interior once it is finished.  $250 later, and the tent project alone is up to $1460.54.  Oh well.

Today, the wind is in the 20-30mph range with 50mph gusts and we're under a severe wind warning.  Argh.  The entire structure has racked a good 2 degrees to port already..  Now I find myself wishing we had used concrete for the posts, but unfortunately we couldn't as this is meant to be a temporary structure.

Anyway, there isn't much we can do except hope things remain standing.  I do intend to order some sort of strapping and anchoring system this week to hopefully install next weekend.  I had intended to do this before, but then it slipped my mind.  :(

Anyway, progress is still slow.

jim

Well, it's a 3 day weekend for Dad and I.  Yay!

The forecast isn't too great, but could be much worse.  In any case, I decided that today was a day to push as far and fast as we could.  Last night I went by Lowes and found some lath board.  These are thin strips of wood just like they make lattice out of, and were 69.8 cents a piece vs 1.27 each for the furring strips.  Granted, the furring strips were 8' and the lath only 6', but still, it was a great bargain.

When you consider that the furring strips require pre-drilling for the screws, and the lath can be installed with the pneumatic stapler, it becomes a real bargain.

In any case, today we got the front wall and other side wall up.  We used some furring strips to help in the places where strength was needed, but used lath most other places.  My only problem is I didn't get ENOUGH lath.  :(

The wind today was 5-10mph this morning, and 10-15mph this afternoon.  It got up to the mid 40s.  Dad and I worked about 4.5 to 5 hours total.  I like the way the new plastic sides are installed much better than the original one.  We might have to go back and do some touch-up on the original wall.

One thing we did that made a huge difference was that we moved the motorhome OUT of the shelter and used it for a scaffold while we worked.  We couldn't do that for the first wall due to trees, but it was sooo much easier working on a flat surface instead of an uncomfortable ladder all day, with trips up and down the ladder every time you move it.

In any case, pictures are here.

The motorhome is still out of the shelter.  The roof isn't on yet.  Dad wants the whole thing strapped down before the roof goes on.  I'm planning to head to Lowes this evening to pick up more lath and hopefully find something we can strap it down with.  I'm also planning to try to back the motorhome into the shelter this time.

I'm really hopeful that tomorrow will be clear enough for us to do the roof.  I still don't know exactly how we'll do it, but I'm sure we'll figure it out... we usually do.  ;D

jim

That's a lot of side area for wind pressure to act on.  Do you have anything other than the side vertical poles to react the load?  Are they in dirt or concrete?

all the side verticals are 30" to 36" in the ground.  No concrete (it has to be a temporary structure to avoid a permit).  We keep re-tamping the dirt around those boards.

The entire structure survived 2 days of 50mph gusts with only one wall in the past couple weeks.  I was worried, but it performed admirably.

Dad insists that we put a minimum of 4 anchors strapped to the 4 corners before putting the roof skin on.  I'm hoping to pick up some anchors from lowes tonight or tomorrow.  As it is his yard, he gets his way.  Although in this case I can't disagree.  ;D

Wind has been a big concern to us.  It is almost always blowing here.  We are also affected my hurricanes periodically, as well as nor'easters and once every 10 to 15 years we even see a tornado or two.

I believe that adding some straps will make all the difference.  And then we can skin the roof and close up the vehicle door and install the lights.  :)

I appreciate the concern.  It is so easy to overlook things in a project this sized, and it helps having others look over what I'm doing and point out anything I might've missed.

Hopefully I can provide an update tomorrow.  :)

jim

just got back from lowes, with 4 30" double headed steel anchors w/3/4" shank, some steel strapping for anchors, and the other assorted hardware to connect it all together.

Weather permitting I hope to install the 4 anchors tomorrow, then figure out how to get that roof on.  ;D

jim

the anchors are in the ground, and the straps are now attached to the 4 corner 4x4s.  It started raining, so I wasn't able to attach the steel straps to the anchors yet.

Most of today was spent chopping up a tree that fell on a relatives powerlines (the ones from the house to the barn, property owner's responsibility), and the re-hanging that power line.  So not much progress on the tent.  :(

The weather for the rest of today and tomorrow calls for wind and rain.  I doubt we'll get much done because of that.  :(

jim

WOW!  I am really enjoying reading this thread.  What a project you have tackled.  However, as has been said before, you will have a one of a kind RV which you will be able to enjoy for years to come.  I am a woodworker, so if I can be of any assistance during the reclamation phase of your project, please do not hesitate to ask......You are our hero!!!!! 

Sounds like you are getting to spend some quality time with your Dad also.  That is SO valuable!!

I refurbished a 1929 Chris-Craft boat years ago.  Even though it was about two years work, it was nothing like this.  The boat was a wreck and turned out absolutely beautiful (and profitable).  I don't think I have ever enjoyed anything more.

Keep up the good work, and keep us all posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom