Thinking of Getting a Smart Car for a Toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
The Smart Car is cute, light in weight and gets great gas mileage, as much as 41 mpg.  But what if you are in the wrong place at the right time?

[edit]Subsequent inquiry shows this is not a Smart Car in this crash photo, but the results would be similar if it were.[/edit]

Attachments

• Smart Car.jpg
    Smart Car.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Smart Car Wreck (Large).jpg
    Smart Car Wreck (Large).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 201
He's in a tight spot.

In a situation like that though, I still would not want to be in a mid-size sedan.  The hood goes under the dump box and the trunk under the bumper of the other truck, which just leaves the cabin to crush.  Short of a tank or a large dozer, I don't think I trust much in an crash like that.

Gary that picture speaks volumes, but people that buy that type of car do not seem to be concerned about survivability in a crash.

Mark R. said:
survivability in a crash.

Agreed, there doesn't seem to be any.  :-\  "Crumple zones" are one of the factors that reduce crash forces from reaching interior passengers, but the Smart Car doesn't have any zones to crumple!

Yikes....that's gotta hurt!!

With the epidemic of accidents being caused by "Texting Drivers" (23 times more deadly than a drunk driver), I'm VERY HAPPY with our Ford F250 Crew Cab pick up.  If we were MHers, I would want more than the above pictured "not so smart to drive" car. :-\

Dick

Agreed that only a fairly large car would survive this sort of crash, but it does not appear that much speed was involved. Just a moment of inattentiveness by a large truck driver.

There are somewhat larger vehicles that get similar mileage and would at least stand a chance in this sort of accident. Corolla, Chevy Cobalt, Mini Cooper, Yaris, etc.  Hybrids can do even better.  All these weigh more than a Smart Car, but are still very light as far as towing is concerned (mostly under 3000 lbs).

Dick and Pat said:
I'm VERY HAPPY with our Ford F250 Crew Cab pick up.  If we were MHers, I would want more than the above pictured "not so smart to drive" car. :-\

My friend was thinking the same in his GMC 2500 until he hit a transport truck head on.  May he rest in peace.

I think what's more important about the safety of a car is that car is in good running order.  Good steering, good brakes, good suspension, etc., all these can help you avoid a crash.  Otherwise, regardless what you drive, your life is always at risk in the event of a big crash.

I also think that the way a person drives plays a bigger role than the car.  At excessive speeds, a crash is usually fatal.  Defensive driving can often prevent a crash, which is much better than crashing and surviving.

You can die in any vehicle, no argument, your survival chances are higher in a big vehicle, this is not just my opinion. Crash test are done with a stationary wall to access crush factors and g forces on dummies. In a real head on crash the wall is moving at you if you both have the same mass you both stop, the car with the longest shock absorber a experiences lower g loads for a longer time then the car with a short shock absorber, shock absorber = crush zones between you and the bumper. My daughter started driving about two years ago, junior license for first year, when it came time for her own car about a year ago I bought her a large vehicle (super crew pickup) for safety reasons ,one hopes to never test the safety of their car. We were not so lucky, this summer she lost control in a turn 1/2 mile from the house, rain had just started and she was going around a turn that has claimed others over the years. My daughter was removed from the cab after an hour by the medics, on a back board through the windshield, and taken to the hospital, by the time I reached the hospital she had been released with a clean ticked. Later during my meeting with the state police crash investigator that was on the seen, I was told if your daughter had been in a small car, we would be having a differant discussion. The car went down a embankment hit a culvert pipe concrete end plate and rolled 3 times, it was a violent crash. I bought her another Ford super crew pickup.

Attachments

• 2009_0504crash0204 (Small).JPG
    2009_0504crash0204 (Small).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 2009_0504crash0209 (Small).JPG
    2009_0504crash0209 (Small).JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 2009_0504crash0193 (Small).JPG
    2009_0504crash0193 (Small).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 2009_0504crash0209 (Small).JPG
    2009_0504crash0209 (Small).JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 74
Interesting.  I was searching around on car crashes and came on that same supposedly Smart Car crash. 

Some observation by others were: 
If you look at the 1st picture of the car intact, it has 3 bolts per wheel.  If you look closely at the car in the crash, it has 5 bolts per wheel.

The Smart Car shell is not metal, therefore there should be body parts (car body that is) all over the ground, similar to what happened in the Smart Car Crash Test video from YouTube I posted earlier.

So it does not appear that the car is a Smart car at all.  Hard to say what it is in that condition.

56kz2slow said:
Interesting.  I was searching around on car crashes and came on that same supposedly Smart Car crash. 

Some observation by others were: 
If you look at the 1st picture of the car intact, it has 3 bolts per wheel.  If you look closely at the car in the crash, it has 5 bolts per wheel.

The Smart Car shell is not metal, therefore there should be body parts (car body that is) all over the ground, similar to what happened in the Smart Car Crash Test video from YouTube I posted earlier.

So it does not appear that the car is a Smart car at all.  Hard to say what it is in that condition.

Smart Cars also have 5 bolt pattern wheels..

Possibly that they also have 5 bolts, I am not an expert.  Iit was just an observation when comparing the two pictures and things I found on another forum.

But there is a lot of bent metal between the two trucks, and the smart is made of panels that break, not bend.

56kz2slow said:

If I remember correctly, it was a Ford Escape.

Possibly that they also have 5 bolts, I am not an expert.  Iit was just an observation when comparing the two pictures and things I found on another forum.

From the pictures I see, they have 3 bolts.  See the pictures below that I got from the 2009 FMCA Towing publication.  If they also have 5 bolt wheels, let's see some pictures.

Attachments

• Smart Car Pic 1.jpg
    Smart Car Pic 1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Smart Car Pic 2.jpg
    Smart Car Pic 2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 36
rsalhus said:
From the pictures I see, they have 3 bolts.  See the pictures below that I got from the 2009 FMCA Towing publication.  If they also have 5 bolt wheels, let's see some pictures.

They do make a 3 to 5 bolt converter kit:
Smart Car 3 to 5 bolt converter to fit Mercedes wheel

But still too much metal and not enough plastic fragment.  The wheel was just one of many observations.

Mark R. said:
You can die in any vehicle, no argument, your survival chances are higher in a big vehicle, this is not just my opinion.

Everything you said make sense logically, and in a head on collision, there is no question, the bigger vehicle wins, hands down.  However, the statistics would not agree that a truck is safer than a passenger car.  The rate of vehicle fatalities in light trucks is considerably higher than for passenger cars by about 30%.  Now, there are probably a variety of reasons for this if I had to guess they would include but not be limited to: higher roll-over percentage, less miles driven in trucks on average, lower seat-belt usage (guessing), higher rate of alcohol usage (guessing), general driver habits (guessing).

There are great resources to look deeper into the data here: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Common/ViewTextOrExcel.aspx

I did a quick download and you can see the rates since 1994 below.  Motorcycles were excluded in the chart because the death rate was so high it skewed the graphs (20 x higher fatality rate). :eek:

Attachments

• Fatality by Vehicle Type.JPG
    Fatality by Vehicle Type.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 21
  • All Vehicle Fatality Stats.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 10
OK = Snopes says it is not a Smart Car in the crash - supposedly it is a Ford Escape, a much larger vehicle, though still a small SUV. I think the point is valid, though.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/smallcar.asp

Mc2guy, I agree with all you said, but makes me wonder what they consider a light truck, where are the little suv's?

I would rather see stats on honda meets Suburban , toyota meets Ford van,  suburu meets Cadillac Fleetwood, If I had to crash head on in one of my cars I would choose my Fleetwood, long soft car that can absorb allot of energy.

When we were rear ended by a commercial truck in the 80's, we were glad to be in our full sized Bronco. We survived in one piece, albeit shaken up. Both front seats broke during the impact, and we found ourselves laying down with our feet on the dash. $8,000 of damage to the rear of the Bronco, but all repairable.

I'm not sure we'd have survived in this little Fiat we owned as a second car in the 70's. It was a fun car to drive around, and great for parking in town but, in retrospect, had zero crash protection.

Attachments

• GelliHouses.jpg
    GelliHouses.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom