Thinking of Getting a Smart Car for a Toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lindsay Richards said:
70 mph is obtained by 2 cars going 35 mph in a headon wreck. I think the folks in the Smart Car would likely be dead. 35 is the normal speed Mom drive around to take kids to soccer games. I think folks are taking a big risk in driving one around just about anywhere. My only question is why did they ever call it the Smart Car.

Not wanting to enter the Smart Car debate (anyone can buy what they want and can afford). But the statement that 2 cars going 35 mph meeting head-on is the same as a 70-mph crash is just wrong. If the cars are similar in mass, then both drivers experience the same deceleration (35mph -> 0 mph). If one car is much heavier (e.g. a semi vs. a Smart Car) then the driver in the small car would experience a deceleration greater than 35 mph -> 0 mph, more like 35 mph -> negative 35 mph (changing direction), and that would be closer to the original statement.

Grondene, while is true that they will feel the deceleration from 35mph to 0 is true, the force of the impact will be felt will be very close to 70mph.

If you hit a wall at 35mph, you only hit the wall, but in a head on collision, you hit the wall at 35mph and at the exact same time, the wall hits you back.

Does anyone remember a little car that was around in the early 70s, the entire front of the car was the door, I think two people sat side by side, I do not remember who built it but it made the smart car look big. :) The smallest car I ever owned was a Simca GL1000, Simca was owned by Chrysler at the time, I would brag about my big Chrysler 1000, at least until people saw the car. :D

Have pushed a few cars over, its some fun game to them, something to consider if you have smart car.

Mark R. said:
Does anyone remember a little car that was around in the early 70s, the entire front of the car was the door, I think two people sat side by side, I do not remember who built it but it made the smart car look big. :) The smallest car I ever owned was a Simca GL1000, Simca was owned by Chrysler at the time, I would brag about my big Chrysler 1000, at least until people saw the car. :D

Mark

You could be thinking of the Isetta. Is this what you were thinking about?

I consistantly get 36 mpg out of my Hyundai Elantra (also a toad)....in addition to that, it has a trunk and room for 4! 

The "Smart Cars" don't look too smart to me!  ;)

FrontrangeRVer said:
I consistantly get 36 mpg out of my Hyundai Elantra (also a toad)....in addition to that, it has a trunk and room for 4! 

The "Smart Cars" don't look too smart to me!   ;)

And here-in-lies the rub...

I think the concept is a great one if you are living in a city and need nimble transport you can park anywhere.  As anything but a city car, you just don't get much for your money.  Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan, and Ford et al., all offer sub-compacts in the same price range that will return similar fuel economy and give you a "lot" more car.  I really like small cars, but the economics of the smart car don't seem to pan out.  If you could get it for $8-9k, then it would be a different story, but until then...

Bernie , could be, its been 30 or forty years but that's the idea, one big front door.

As for the smart car I have to admit they are very inventive, I especially like the two little hatches in the top of the front bumper, for the life of me they had me baffled and then the salesman said hop in, I did and he removed the little hatches and out popped my toes, what a great idea cool feet in the summer and your feet support the bumper at the same time! ;D

8)      I won't trade my Mini Cooper (stick shift) for a Smart Car. I get consistently 38 miles to the gallon - highway or city driving. And I just love my car to bits!!

Mariekie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom