This is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It blew me away when Kelley was developing it. He told me how it was going to be a general purpose computer used in traffic lights, cash registers and all kinds of applications. I asked him how much it was going to sell for and he told me 50 cents. Little did I know it would still be in production today and that it would be the most produced processor of all time. Last I heard they had sold 4 billion of them. But the real shock came ten years ago when I was visiting the Smithsonian and there was a Z-80 on display.

http://smithsonianchips.si.edu/zilog/zilog.htm

Tom,

That device you speak of was called a Ramac, correct?  All that's left of the building it was developed in is a small park, named suitably enough 'Ramac Park'.

We had a couple of those on the floor when I worked at IBM but my favorite was the data cell drive.  It had strips of magnetic tape inside a cassette hung on a rotor.  First thing each morning one of the operators would whack each cassette with a wooden bat to unstick the strips of tape from one another.  It had a big problem with static and jammed quite often.

The good old days of blinkin' lights & spinning tapes!  I still have dreams (nightmares) of being called in the middle of the night because a disk ran out of space.  Happened all the time.

SeilerBird said:
Larry my ex-BIL was the engineer behind the Z-80 and the co-founder of Zilog. I got to see the Z-80 when it was in it's bread board stage. He just died last month of Parkinson's. We used to go to the Colorado River and water ski together.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sfgate/obituary.aspx?pid=175018637

That Z-80 was very close to the DEC PDP-11/45 in architecture. We had the 11/45 at work (sometimes had to program from the front key panel, maintenance stuff only, though), and after I got into the TRS-80's assembly/machine language I was pleasantly surprised at the similarities. It was a good processor for its day.

8Muddypaws said:
We had a couple of those on the floor when I worked at IBM but my favorite was the data cell drive.  It had strips of magnetic tape inside a cassette hung on a rotor.  First thing each morning one of the operators would whack each cassette with a wooden bat to unstick the strips of tape from one another.  It had a big problem with static and jammed quite often.

I think the data cell was the 2321, if my foggy memory serves.  NCR had a similar device that debuted at a computer show at McCormick Place in the early '60s called the CRAM (Card Random Access Memory).  I took one look at it and said "that isn't going to sell", and it didn't.

[quote author=8Muddypaws]That device you speak of was called a Ramac, correct?[/quote]

Not that I recall. Both computers were in the UK. The "mainframe" with the rotating drum, it's own building, and a room full of programmers was a "second generation" GE412 built in the U.S.; It was used in a process control application at a steel strip mill, the largest steel plant in Europe at the time. I'm struggling to recall the name of the all-tube machine and its application. I'm sure glad I didn't have to change the tubes  ;D

The 2321 Data Cell Drive was the correct name for the old "Noodle Picker". 

I paid for a new 1965 Volkswagen Beetle, in three months, with the overtime/call out money I earned maintaining that beast.  (it took me over a year to pay for the '66 Buick Wildcat.)

I had three Chicago accounts; Marshal Fields, Carson Pirie Scott and Spiegel mail order, who each had two of those.

It was both fun and profitable to be involved with the IBM S/360 explosion in the early/mid sixties.

Anyone remember the IBM 3850 Mass Storage System? :)

First computer I ever wrote a program for was an IBM 1400 series as I recall.. Punched the cards myself, Fortran IV for Scientists and Engineers was the name of the class..

Then I worked on a small basic box
Then I got a job operating a computer terminal (no program just data entry, search, retrieval and messaging).

Then I got a VIC-20, Commodore 64, 128 and Amiga 500. Never did much with the Amiga, wish I'd kept it (Had not the money for software and was too busy with other things to write my own, got the computer for free).  Somewhere in there I picked up a COCO but never used it either.

I did quite a bit in Commodore Basic and 6502 ML back in the day but with these Poor Computers (PC) I just small batch files.. Still.. Some of my batch files are kind of neat.  One grabs the program listings for my DVR's so a free program can serve 'em up properly customized.. Which is very handy since I'm now watching recorded TV as I type.

Ok you know you are showing just how old you are with some of these posts and in internet years you're talking Jurassic old.. LOL

My first PC computer was a 286pc clone. The nI started building my own after that. I did start off with the old Atari 800XL that got me hooked on tech

I work in the tech industry and it never fails to amaze me what our labs come up with.

My first pc was an Atari 800XL too. Had the cassette "hard drive"., couldn't afford the floppy drive. The scary part was the now astronomical amount I sold it for when I got rid of it. Didn't have a word processing program so I I would write documents I wanted to print in "Basic". Can anyone say "Lprint"?

My first computer was an Atari 800 in 1980. It came with 16K of RAM but I upgraded by adding the 32K RAM module. That cost me an extra $595 for the 32K. Compare that to the 16 gigs I just bought for $7.48. I also bought the floppy drive which was the size of a toaster and it sounded like it was possessed when it ran and ran and ran trying to load a program. And then it finally gave up and gave me an error message and told me to run it again. I also got the Basic cartridge which allowed me to do my first programming. As primitive as it sounds now I was in hog heaven using it.

My first computer was actually very simple.  In an electronics I used a Z80 chip to build a simple calculator that used LEDs to display the result.

Later on I worked at a computer store that sold primarily Apple ][s and laster Commodores with the C64 and Amiga.

Memory prices went up and down.  512k board for the Apple //e was around $900 when it first came out and dropped down to around $400, but then shot back up to $900 when a couple of factories burned down in the late 80's.

The first 2400 baud modems were $1000.  When Hayes introduced their 9600 baud modem it was also $999 retail and I purchased one for $500 to use on my BBS system.

And to storage, right about 1987, a company called Seagate introduced the largest consumer hard drive, a whopping 60 MB.  The retail price?  $1200.

And to memory, I remember a local lawyer wanting to max out his Mac Plus with 4 MB of RAM, and this was just after Toshiba lost a plant to a fire, memory prices were extremely high and he paid $1800 for that memory.

yep, we?ve come a long ways since those days.  16 GB of RAM and 3 TB hard drives sell for less than $100.

People like to say there is more computing power in a cell phone then there were in early computers.  Think about this: Some BlueTooth headsets have a processor in it that is 4-10x faster than the the original Apple ][.  Your average home router has a processor in it that is 200-400x the speed of the Apple ][, and have 100 times the memory!  The entire Apple //e with I/O, CPU and 10x the memory could fit on a USB stick and would run at least 10x as fast.

The entire Apple //e with I/O, CPU and 10x the memory could fit on a USB stick and would run at least 10x as fast.

Do a search on PC on a stick and you'll find that you can get a complete PC with Windows 8, various Linux flavors, Android OS, or Chrome OS on a stick the size of a flash drive and only needs an HDMI display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and you have a full PC on your television.  All for $150 or less.

And you can run an Apple emulator on it.  But any games would be so blindingly fast you wouldn't be able to play them.

About 20 years ago I installed an Atari emulator in a 386 computer to play centipede.  Even with PC-Whoa installed it was so fast the game was over in seconds.  ;)

I was a newbie in 1967 working for NCR in the tech side.  We had a breakfast meeting to tell us about the new computers and the fancy place in Dayton where it was manufactured.  The whole building was essentially built on shock absorbers or something so no rumbles could make it inside and disturb.  They saw the day when a kilobyte could be the size of a pencil, but would cost too much to be affordable by a company. 

My first computer had a hard disk I would now overload with one omage from my camera.

O. K. I give in :D Around '76 I got an opportunity to prepare some manuals on blasthole drills that Gardner Denver had sold to China.  Went to the Micro Store in Dallas and spent $7,600 on a Processor Technology Sol 20 with dual hard sectored Micropolus drives (300 k each), and 16k RAM. Added a Diablo printer, produced the manuals in about 60 days, and paid for the entire system with that job

I wound up owning four Sol 20's (still got two) and actually leased two of them to a customer.

Anyone remember Kilobaud? I sold Wayne an article on a spreadsheet program I called Calc Too a couple of years later.  In those days anyone who owned a PC and understood how to use it had the ticket to success.

Ernie

Anyone remember Kilobaud?

Yep -- it was one of several magazines (one of the better ones, too) that went away not too long after IBM/MS destroyed other PC markets, including stealing the commonly used term Personal Computer and trademarking it for their own.

Another one to remember:    The Barnoulii Disc Drive. Anyone wish to elaborate ?

Click here >>>>  http://www.techopedia.com/definition/2155/bernoulli-disk-drive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom