This is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
8Muddypaws said:
Not only no but 'Heck' no.  The attacking centipedes were so fast you couldn't even track them with your eyes, much less shoot at 'em.
Especially without a proper trackball!

Mike

I have a 8k chip framed on my wall...there were 8 of them to make 64K...it is 12 by 8.5 inches...

The first computer I worked on, I had to use punch cards...

I feel old :)

BTW, there are MP3 players that will hold thousands of 320 bit tunes...one of my my play lists is around 7000 and it will hold it w/o any probs..

Looks like I'm surrounded by old farts like myself. My first home computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000. Learned BASIC on it and then moved on to assembler on a 6502 based VIC-20. Wrote several utilities on my C-64 before moving on to a 80286 based PC. By that time the architecture became so massive that it wasn't fun any more. Dug out my old dirt bikes and acquired a few more abrasions. Then the money pit RV showed up.

Richard

Ill throw in my cntribution: First computer was a TI 99/4. Learned basic on it but had no accessories. Had a video modulator for using a TV screen as monitor. hooked up a mini reel to reel tape deck to save my BASIC creations. Such fun.

I still have it in my man- cave...  not used in 30 years. Also have full documentation.

Hoh boy  where has the time gone.

Now this is really sick. I have a Windows 7 laptop that I use for Lightroom to post process my photos once a month. I reinstalled the OS last May and I haven't updated since then since I feel updates are worthless for me. But now the battery is dying and I would prefer to chuck the thing out and buy another laptop. So I decided I would give W10 a try before I toss it and see what it is like. I found out I had to install the updates in order to be able to get a reservation for W10. So I ran the updater tool and found out that there are 250 megabytes of updates I must install first. Now this is the really sick part. In 1995 when W95 came out there were many people who hated it because it was "bloatware". Yeah right bloatware, the operating system took up all of 50 megs on my hard drive. How can there possibly be 250 megs of updates?

Update - boy was I being optimistic thinking all I needed was 250 megs of updates. Turns out I need Service Pack One which is another gig also. I click on it and it won't download. Probably MS servers are too busy. This is a  bad dream. Thank god I use Chromebook as my main computer. 

Tom, you may have shot yourself in the foot.  Those enormous updates are usually security patches to keep you safe from malware.  When they are done as per MS intent they are relatively painless.  A few Meg's here, a few Meg's there.....  SP-1 has been out for a long time and if you're missing that you've got years worth of updates to download.  One of the last ones is the W10 installer.  And it's big.

If you're in a place with good speed you can probably get it done in about a day.  Just be patient and don't panic if some of the updates don't install the first time.  It will keep applying them until they do. 

I'm assuming you know how to start updates manually.

If you don't have a fast connection and have the budget for it a new computer might be less painful.

Too bad Adobe doesn't have a Linux or ChromeOS version out there.  Lightroom is amazing.

Mud - I appreciate your concern and your help. However I have a very long history of hating updates. I think they are worthless. In fact I think all they are for is for job security for programmers. In fact I have a sneaking suspicion that programmers are the ones secretly creating the malware and viruses. I stopped doing updates after SP2 in WinXP. I have no fear at all of getting any virus or malware. In thirty some years of computing I have never gotten a virus and I have never used anti-virus software, which I consider worthless for me. I do not engage in activities that would cause a virus. And I have never gotten malware since I don't do things that would get me malware. I have been surfing using Chrome for as long as it has been out and it is virtually impossible to get malware with Chrome.

Don't waste your time telling me horror stories about all the possible ways I can get infected, I have heard them all before and I laugh at them every time. Because if I am completely wrong and I do get some disease I will simply reinstall the OS and I will be many many many hours ahead of the game. I store everything in the cloud so there is nothing on my computer they can possibly steal or use that would bother me. I use my Windows machine about an hour a month to run Lightroom and then it spends about five minutes online uploading to Picassa. I would be an extremely hard target to hit. I do all my surfing on my Chromebook and I feel that is about as safe as you can get especially since I follow safe surfing practices.

I would not want Lightroom on Chromebook. My Chromebook has a 13 inch screen. I prefer to post process on a 17 inch screen and there are no Chromebooks that large. And don't get me started on Linux on the desktop, that's not going to happen. I would go to a Mac before that. And I hate Macs.

I found out I already had SP1 on the machine. I forgot that when I reinstalled Windows last time I forgot to turn off updates immediately and it managed to sneak it in. What I was missing was 13 optional updates. I downloaded and installed them and I was able to make the reservation. I am now standing in line.

I am not saying that I think anyone else should hate or avoid updates, just that they are a waste of my time, as proven to me this morning. Hours of messing around just to get the machine updated so I could update to W10, which I don't really want, I just wanted to check it out and see how I like it. Once again Mud, I appreciate your concern. Have a nice day.

anyone remember MITS?  The first PC...the Altair 8800 IIRC, sold as a kit in Alb, NM.  Some guy named Bill Gates came to town just to get one and got a speeding ticket from the NM State Police.  Rumor has it that Microsoft ended up in Seattle instead of Abq because of that ticket...  It had a rudimentary OS, machine language programming only.  5 1/4 floppy drive  ... don't remember the memory spec?  I do remember buying some penny stock in the IPO that actually went up...  So now you can read about it on WikiPedia  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair_8800

taoshum said:
anyone remember MITS?  The first PC...the Altair 8800 IIRC, sold as a kit in Alb, NM.  Some guy named Bill Gates came to town just to get one and got a speeding ticket from the NM State Police.  Rumor has it that Microsoft ended up in Seattle instead of Abq because of that ticket... 
That rumor sure has taken some turns. :)

The way I understand is that Gates and Paul Allen came to MITS in NM to try to sell them BASIC. They didn't have an Altair 8800 but had gotten BASIC to run on an emulator and the demo at MITS worked. Similar to the move they used on IBM they got Altair to agree to let them sell to anyone else. Allen was hired by MITS and Gates also stayed in Albuquerque where the two formed "Micro-Soft" soon after.

Fast forward a couple of years and the two were making decent money, enough so Gates was able to buy a couple nice fast cars including a Porsche. He liked to drive fast. By 1977 he had racked up a few tickets and may have lost his license. So when he was stopped for speeding again he was actually arrested, hence the following booking photo:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates#/media/File:Bill_Gates_mugshot.png

As for moving Microsoft to Seattle, both Gates and Allen were born and (mostly) raised there. So it was only natural for them to return after MS was doing quite nicely in 1979.

Mike

The last 50 years have been quite amazing regarding the pace of technology. I remember seeing a promo video on the first Univac, it filled a large room and had huge cooling fans.

In 1956, I was enrolled at New Mexico A&M and was in a co-op plan with White Sands Proving Ground - full time classes one semester and work at White Sands full time the next. The computer system they had filled a large room and was in reality two identical systems side by side. They were vacuum tube of course, hard wired with miles of wire, and the side of the room was filled with shelves of racks - if there was a problem, pull out a rack, go to the side wall, select a new rack, and push it in. The racks were 16" or so square and complete with new vacuum tubes and wiring. In the event of a more serious problem, then they used the identical system sitting nearby.

One of my jobs was reading film of ground-to-air Nike's or Hawks hitting old aircraft converted to drones which circled around over the launch pads and got shot at. All of our data was saved on punch cards, and then they were read and the data sent to the computer.

This was the federal government using the best technology of the day!!

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom