Time to replace awning fabric. What should I expect to pay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frizlefrak

Yes, I'm sure this subject has been beat into the ground 1000 times on here.....but I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.

Bought our TT new in 2012.  It has an 18' Dometic power awning.  The Texas sun finally did it in....time of death, 28 July 2019.  The mechanism is fine, just need to replace the fabric.  I thought about tackling this myself, but I really don't want to spend (and make two buddies spend) 5 hours outside with the sun beating us down in 100+ degree weather.  I think I'd rather write a check for this one.

I'll call around for quotes on Monday.....but just want a general idea of what to brace myself for.  I'm guessing $750 to $1000....am I in the ballpark? 

With RV shop rates running $125 man-hour and the parts mark-up steep, I suspect the north end of that range. Acrylic weave costs more than vinyl, so material makes a difference too.

I used these guys, https://www.rvawningsmart.com/ and the vinyl fabric is great. Price is right as well. Took 2 of us about 2 hours to change it out.
RichH

aguablanco said:
I used these guys, https://www.rvawningsmart.com/ and the vinyl fabric is great. Price is right as well. Took 2 of us about 2 hours to change it out.
RichH

Thanks Rich.

So I've looked this thing over a bit.  Keep in mind that my fabric is ripped where it hooks into the channel on the RV about 1/3 of its length.  Looks like we would do the following, correct me where I'm wrong please;

Removal

1.  Run the awning out
2.  Disconnect the struts
3.  Cut the remaining material away from the trailer and pull it out of the channel.
4.  Disconnect the power connector
5.  Unbolt and remove the roller

Once the roller is on the ground, looks like I will need to drill the rivets off the roller cap to pull the old awning out of the roller channel.  From there, looks like I would slide the new fabric in the roller and roll it up, then;

Re-installation.

1.  My helper(s) and I would lift the roller up and support it while we slide the new fabric into the channel on the trailer
2.  Set the roller back into the brackets, and reinstall bolts.
3.  Reconnect struts.
4.  Reconnect power.

Am I missing anything?  Are the struts the only source of tension on the awning, or are there any springs I need to worry about like on a manual awning?

Thanks!

Gary RV_Wizard said:
With RV shop rates running $125 man-hour and the parts mark-up steep, I suspect the north end of that range. Acrylic weave costs more than vinyl, so material makes a difference too.

Thanks Gary.

I'm on the fence on whether to haul it to a shop or do it myself.  Spending the money isn't fun, but neither is 100 degree heat.  :)

The wife and I recently replaced the fabric on our 16' manual awning, took us about an hour and a half. This was our first time doing it.
I think I paid around $300 for the vinyl fabric from Amazon.

72cougarxr7 said:
The wife and I recently replaced the fabric on our 16' manual awning, took us about an hour and a half. This was our first time doing it.
I think I paid around $300 for the vinyl fabric from Amazon.

Excellent....thanks.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
This video should be helpful for a DIY replace:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPSk_vUb1KQ

OK, watched the video.  Doesn't look like anything me and group of gray haired gearheads can't do in an afternoon.  Beer and pizza for the guys is a whole lot cheaper than labor at the RV shop, and I won't have to tow it across town.  Thanks Gary.

Perfect timing. I was going to ask the same question.
Looks like a couple of guys could knock this job out in a half a day, fairly easily.

So, Vinyl, or Acrylic? which is better?

My husband and I did this last year. Took us half a day and now the awning doesn?t roll back in properly and I can no longer access the slide in groove for hooks and such. Lol....sigh.

maybe missed a step in the process?
you could try to repeat the process, but without actually replacing the awning.

Kheren said:
My husband and I did this last year. Took us half a day and now the awning doesn?t roll back in properly and I can no longer access the slide in groove for hooks and such. Lol....sigh.

Sounds like something is clocked 180 degrees off on the roller.  The video shows marking the spots of awning and valance before drilling out the rivets.

Ordering mine today.  It dawns on me that I can bring the roller indoors and out of the heat to do the drilling and riveting.  :)

Kheren said:
You?re right, and we should...**tries getting husband to a actually do it***

In my case......

{Me to Mizz Friz}  "Honey, weren't you going to make a cheesecake for my pot luck at work on Monday?"
{Mizz Friz to me}  "Weren't you going to fix the awning on the RV?  If you do it Sunday, the cheesecake will be ready by the time you're finished."

That gal still knows how to get me in motion.    :)

Frizlefrak said:
Sounds like something is clocked 180 degrees off on the roller.  The video shows marking the spots of awning and valance before drilling out the rivets.

Ordering mine today.  It dawns on me that I can bring the roller indoors and out of the heat to do the drilling and riveting.  :)
Thanks, if I get him to ever help, will definitely watch the video! Ha. Good idea to do it where it?s cool!

Frizlefrak said:
In my case......

{Me to Mizz Friz}  "Honey, weren't you going to make a cheesecake for my pot luck at work on Monday?"
{Mizz Friz to me}  "Weren't you going to fix the awning on the RV?  If you do it Sunday, the cheesecake will be ready by the time you're finished."

That gal still knows how to get me in motion.    :)
Haha, good idea...he doesn?t have a sweet tooth...maybe some beer!

I repaired my manual 18' awning this year. I had a local shop quote me $500+/- to do the job. I found the fabric for $260 online. I figured if I did it on my own I could justify using $240 for buying some needed items for the camper. It took 3 of us about 2 hours to do the job, and honestly I think I worked on my own for about half of that at the beginning just prepping everything right up to putting the new fabric on.

Jkoht said:
I repaired my manual 18' awning this year. I had a local shop quote me $500+/- to do the job. I found the fabric for $260 online. I figured if I did it on my own I could justify using $240 for buying some needed items for the camper. It took 3 of us about 2 hours to do the job, and honestly I think I worked on my own for about half of that at the beginning just prepping everything right up to putting the new fabric on.

Thanks....

Yep, local shop wants $650 just in labor to do it.  I've ordered the fabric from RV awnings Mart for $180 shipped.  I've studied the thing a bit, doesn't look terribly challenging other than being cumbersome. 

Back
Top Bottom