Tire Age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jeffbrown said:
I have had tire quotes from $4200 plus tax all the way down to 1200 out the door so shop around.  I'm not a huge proponent of getting RV specific tires, but find some tires that other people like that might not be the bid dollar big brands and go with it.  We are probably going to go with a set of Hancooks for around 1500 installed.

Jeff Brown

I'd like to get some info on where you're getting a set installed for $1500.  That's a steal !  :D

I actually found 3 local tire shops that will install 6 duran tires for between 1150 and 1400 out the door.  The hancook tires were a.bait and switch though.  Didnt go back to them.

Jeff

I'm not familiar with the Duran tire but we had (6) 19.5 Hankooks installed on our coach last year for $1700.  :)

Good luck with your tire search.  Suggest you not make COST the determining factor.  By he way, the shorthand for 'imported from far east' is CHINA BOMB.  Perhaps you might search under that.

Clark Griswold said:
Where'd ya find that deal?  Was it a 'chain' store?  :)

Go to this link for  Hankook Tires and use the "locate a dealer" section.  I believe there is a dealer in Chatanooga that carries Hankooks.  We have used them on all our vehicles for about 5 yrs and have been pleased with there longevity.
http://hankooktireusa.com/Main/default.aspx  Keep in mind that if you have 22.5 tires that they will cost more than the 19.5 tires.

jc2 said:
Go to this link for  Hankook Tires and use the "locate a dealer" section.  I believe there is a dealer in Chatanooga that carries Hankooks.  We have used them on all our vehicles for about 5 yrs and have been pleased with there longevity.
http://hankooktireusa.com/Main/default.aspx  Keep in mind that if you have 22.5 tires that they will cost more than the 19.5 tires.

JC2 & Gary....thanks for the info.

Hi Ho:  Everybody has to decide for himself what is acceptable for tires and age etc.  I have had tires on an RV that were 20 years old and worked just fine.  It is also possible to have tires that are 5 or 6 years old that need to be replaced.  If there are no signs of age, like cracking checking etc. I don't think there is an immediate problem.  Our coach had 11 year old tires with 50,000 miles that I replaced because we were planning a trip to Alaska.  I am a little bit leary about who makes the tires.  I like Michelin and have had good success with them, but since we are on our way back from Alaska and have only about 6000 miles on these the jury is still out on this set of XRV's.

I don't recommed Goodyear since they haven't make any RV tires for several years now (at least of the type I wanted).  I was not able to buy new tires with a date code less than 4 years old.  Be sure to check.

You can also have a blowout with new tires, but if old tires are well maintained they work just great for me.

If your budget allows replace the two front tires. This will give some security against a driving hazard, lose or uncontrolled steering. There is an unlikelyhood that both duals would blow at the same time. Maybe purchase them as you can afford them, set each aside until you can install all four rears. But do replace the rest as soon as possible.

JSplaine said:
If your budget allows replace the two front tires. This will give some security against a driving hazard, lose or uncontrolled steering. There is an unlikelyhood that both duals would blow at the same time. Maybe purchase them as you can afford them, set each aside until you can install all four rears. But do replace the rest as soon as possible.

Sounds like a good plan.  I agree with you that the critical factor are the fronts tires and replacing them should be a first priority.  One of the reasons I was glad to sell our 99 Dolpin was the tag axle and 'extra' two tires to buy at some point.  ???

Hello,
I also agree with JSplaine.  I had a similar issue with mine and changed the front two for safety first.  Three months later I changed out the rear 4 as well since after I put a few miles on, I noticed some hairline cracks forming.  I purchased a brand called Double Coin ($188 +s/h) from Tires Easy.  Took them to my local Pep boys 2 by 2 and for 22 dollars they mounted and balanced them and all I think it was a $1400 bill.  Well worth the sense of security.

JSplaine said:

That is what I did.  The best advice short of getting all new ones now. 

I bought new front tires last year.  The rears were just swapped out this morning.  My 16" tires cost no where near as much as the 19.5s do but it still would have been about 1,200 out the door for all 6.   

I figured there was a greater risk by having 1 of the fronts blow out and causing an accident than 1 of the 4 rears blowing and causing an accident.

I was told by one of the inspection techs out here (Springfield Mo.) that they fail inspections if tires are over 6 years old.

Interesting if the Missouri inspection stations did that.  I could not find anything in the Missouri Inspection rules that say anything about tire age, but they do have extensive tire checking regulations that cover things such as mismatched duals, radial and bias tires on the same axle, use of off-road or racing tires,  etc.

See the whole text here, if you are interested. I just did a search on 'tire' and read the relevant areas of the inspection code.

http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/11csr/11c50-2.pdf

This is a question I asked myself for the last 3 months.  I have a 2000 Georgie Boy Class "A" that I ordered and bought new back in 1999.  Had the original tires on it until last weekend.  20K miles and they still looked brand new.  Until ...... ......Based on recommendations from this forum, I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought new tires.  I'm an VERY glad I did.  While the tread was still practically untouched and the outside of the tires had absolutely no cracks (I kept the tires covered unless I was camping) ... ..once the tires were removed there were extensive cracks in side the tire.  The tire mechanic says they might have lasted another summer but if I were to have to swerve or stop fast that he felt sure one or more would blow out.  Sooo, six new tires later and much poorer in the pocket book, but I feel much safer driving down the road.  Plus the ride is much nicer.  Went from Goodyear to Hankook (19.5).  I also replaced (myself) the shocks on Sunday from the factory original to Bilstein (coach rode like absolute doo doo since I bought it).  So, my advice is that every tire is different and you can't see the weaknesses on the outside of the tire..  I realize now that I was driving on borrowed time and should have replaced the tires years ago.  I got 12 years out of mine.  I probably should have replaced the tires3 years ago ... ..and definately should have replaced the factory shocks as soon as I drove the motorhome off the dealership lot.

Some tires may last 10 years - or maybe even 12 - but the odds start getting steep against you somewhere around age 7.  I just changed 4 rears at 7.5 years and a close inspection of the removed tires showed the body was sound and there was probably enough tread left for another 10k-12k miles.  I could have gotten another year out of them.  But you can't tell without dismounting the tire, and I had already bought the new ones.  Your mileage (and age) may vary...

You guys scare the crap out of me. I checked my tires today. Front were from '02 and back from '93. Bought 6 new BF Goodrich TA Commercial for around $1200 installed at Discount Tire.

carson said:
? Would you care to tell us what size tires you are talking about ?

Oh yeah, sorry. LT225/75R16E1 115R B

Way less than you Class A guys but still stings!

Back
Top Bottom